VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased APR Software when i was in California. I got a new job in Albuquerque, NM and there is NO APR dealer out here
. So now i have to send mine in like alot of other people. Ive been searching for a simple DIY for removing the ECU but nothing.. I know there is a A3 one but i wanted to create one for my MKV heads out there that need step by step instructions..
DISCLAIMER: dont kill yourself becuase of my directions.. im not responsible and wont pay for your plane ticket to Judge Judy.
1. Remove the wiper caps (yellow). Remove the bolt under the cap (purple). lift the arm of the wiper (red)

2. Rock the wiper back and forth till its off the thread (yellow)

3. I didnt get a pic of removing the rain tray but its pretty easy.. just remove the liner and pull up and out on the rain tray and it will seperate. This pic is of the missing rain tray (yellow) and the exposed ECU (red)

4. These are the two infamous blank screws (yellow) that hold the ecu against the "cradle"

5. Now remove to screws to the removable guard (yellow).. ones on the far left near the coolant ball and the right one is near the battery.

6. This is the driver side of the guard (yellow) that has the screw (red) near the battery

7. I just dremeled the faceless screws (yellow). too easy.. i love my dremel

8. Unscrewing (yellow) the faceless screws (red) that have been dremeled

9. Work the Ecu out of the slot by sliding towards the driver side. NOTICE that i bent the cradle holders (yellow to red) right side to ease it out. you can do this IF YOU WANT .. since its strong enough to go back into place when i install the ECU it doesnt matter to me.

10. The ECU is out! but wait i have two thick cables still attached

11. The two big cables connected to the ECU are secured by drawer clips (yellow). just pull outward

12. The drawer (yellow) is completey pulled to its fullest position

13. Once you pull the drawer clip out (yellow), pull the connector (red) out. *Do this to the driver side one too*

14. OMG Free!

15. Can someone tell me what this shirt is (Stock Yellow)?

BTW APR and others suggest not over packaging the ECU since its strong enough.. psshh.. mine is peanutted, bubble wrapped and blessed..

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Thanks; FAQ'd. Nice red wipers, BTW.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
Nice red wipers, BTW.

HEY~! dont give the CT crew any ideas!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: DIY - Removing ECU (FuN:TuRBO)

well done - the color highlights are a nice touch. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
641 Posts
It looks like my check engine light shirt that says OWN3d on it, which i decided to buy at waterfest because my car was in the dealership because the ECU f'ed out on me and my car went through two of them, and i was out of it for 2 weeks!!! Oh the IRONY!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: DIY - Removing ECU (83Caddy16v)

Quote, originally posted by 83Caddy16v »
well done - the color highlights are a nice touch. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

thx! anyone know how much i should insure the ECU?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FuN:TuRBO »

thx! anyone know how much i should insure the ECU?

Sweet Baby Jesus!

I'd ensure for $1,000.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
As mentioned above, I'd insure it for $1,000, replacing it isn't going to be as easy as just slapping a new one in.
Folks might also note... those bolts that hold the ECU in are shear head bolts, they commonly use them on the ECU and steering column to deter theft, but also for warranty purposes.
If the dealer looks and sees those removed, I'm sure you can pretty much wave goodbye to any warranty you had or have.
They can be replaced... the head snaps off at a specific torque, so just tighten them until the head shears off and you should be good to go.
Part number for the bolts: N91161601

·
Registered
12,744 Posts

I remember the good old B5 days when you could swap ecus between cars and removal was 2 plugs and a few torx screws.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Re: DIY - Removing ECU (silverA4quattro)

exactly what is involved in replacing the ECU? I was thinking of buying a spare to have programmed so I won't have any downtime...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: DIY - Removing ECU (absoluteczech)

Quote, originally posted by absoluteczech »
1. to void your warranty
2. to mess the car up
3. to send it to a tuner
4. to be cool
5. bored one day?

HA!! that reminds me of me when im bored.. i just go out in the garage and take something random apart on my car.

Quote, originally posted by darkk »
exactly what is involved in replacing the ECU? I was thinking of buying a spare to have programmed so I won't have any downtime...

so you think ECU's are prone to failing? sounds like a waste of $1,000 to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Passat 2007 FSI pin code

Dear All,
can any one tell me the I C number for the new passat F S I 2.0 cc IC and its location in the ECU,
and how can read the Eeprom ? and how to calculate it to five digit number not four ?
Regards

Ferwana Monzer​

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
so you think ECU's are prone to failing? sounds like a waste of $1,000 to me.
He wants an extra to swap in while his original is being worked on...not because he's worried about one $hitting the bed :banghead:

- Jeremy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great tutorial. All went smoothly for me, but the security screws were super tight. I broke a screwdriver trying to get them out. They felt like they were welded in there. In the end, I had to drill them out.

It looks like the security screws for the MK5 might be different from the security screws on the MK6. Am I right about this? I've seen the MK6 security screws sold online, but they don't fit my MK5 ECU bracket. Does anyone know if the OEM security screws for the MK5 are available and is there a part #?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts