VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STEPS FOR REPLACING MKIV JETTA TRUNK LATCH MICROSWITCH
The following outlines the procedure for replacing the trunk microswitch on a MKIV Jetta (and possibly a Golf/GTI as well). These microswitches commonly fail, causing the trunk light to operate intermittently or not at all. Also, it causes the trunk open light on the instrument cluster to not work. The procedure was based on a 99.5 Jetta GLS VR6 - it may be slightly different on later-models cars (which have the emergeny release inside the trunk).

1. Open trunk lid and remove the carpet lining. There are 13 Phillips head screws which are located approximately where the yellow circles are in the following picture.

2. The screws in the above picture are coated with carpet fibers, so using a bare screwdriver may scratch the coating off. I used a ZipLoc Freezer bag folded in half to prevent this from happening, as shown below. It did a pretty good job of keeping the screw coating intact.

3. Once the carpet lining is off, disconnect the actuator rod from the latch assembly by unsnapping the rod connector (yellow arrow in picture below) and removing the rod from the connector.

4. Remove (2) 10mm nuts (inside yellow circles in above picture) to disconnect the latch assembly from the trunk lid.
5. Flip up microswitch retaining flap on underside of trunk latch assembly (yellow arrow in picture below).

6. After doing so the microswitch should slide right out of the latch assembly, as seen in the picture below. Disconnect the microswitch from its harness connector by pulling the two side tabs outward (yellow arrows) at the same time.

7. You can test to see if the microswitch is bad and causing the trunk light/dash indicator not to work by jumping the two terminals in the harness connector with a small wire. If the trunk light comes on, then the microswitch is bad and needs to be replaced. If the light doesn't come on, then the problem may also be somewhere else (but may be the microswitch as well). Check the bulb (you should really do this first) and the wiring between the harness connector and the light.
8. Install new microswitch and reassemble everything by following the above in reverse.

The microswitch is VW part# 8D5959489 (supposedly there is also a trunk microswitch with part# 8D5959489B which may be used on later-model cars - double check your part#s before ordering). The cheapest I could find it for was $10.95 at Auburn VW (1stVWParts or 1-888-528-5280).
In case someone needs to replace the entire latch assembly, the VW part# is 1J5827505D01C. The cheapest price I've seen it for is $44.76 at 1stVWParts. I'm not sure if the latch assembly comes with the micro, but based on the image below that I found on IMPEX's website, it looks like the latch may come with a micro.

The lock assembly for a GTI/Golf is different. The part number is 1J6827505BB41 and it sells for $22.45 at 1stVWParts.

As always, do this procedure at your own risk. I am not responsible for any mistakes in the procedure or those that you make while performing it.

Modified by VgRt6 at 11:44 AM 6-8-2005

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (VgRt6)

Bump for those who didn't see it.

·
Registered
18,222 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
The dealer, er stealer, wanted $200 to fix mine!
Now that I have a step-by-step in full color (Bentley is good, but yours is better!), I'll fix it myself!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (kamzcab86)

If this isn't already in the DIY post for MKIVs could a moderator please put it there

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (OVeRide)

Yes, please put it in the DIY.
My next project is the door lock mechanism. Hopefully it has the same type of micro.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Does anyone know if a B5 trunk microswitch is replaced in the same fashion? The part number is the same and I am 99% sure the switch on my 99 Passat is out.

Modified by DrivinAJetta at 4:01 PM 7-28-2003

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (DrivinAJetta)

I noticed that the part# is the same too. My guess is the procedure is very similar.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Bump to the top for those who may have missed it.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Pics are back online.

Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts

Wow.. Great Tutorial!

I just checked my 98 Passat GLS for the same problem and my microswitch is toast as well. The trunk latch system is identical in the Passat too. I guess I'll have to goto the dealer and bend over the table and take it up the ass like a man when they say the microswitch is $50.00 or somthing crazy..

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (gabosgab)

I'm pretty sure that the Passat uses the same exact microswitch. It should be closer to $15.

Gary

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

VgRt6 is the man! I found this tutorial and the little light bulb came on! I was digging for that switch for 2 days before that!
Anyway, the cheapest place to get the switch is http://www.1stvwparts.com/ . This is the official web site of Auburn Hill VW dealership.
My microswitch will be here on Monday along with my Accessory belt for 2.0
They also have the cheapes MAF's you can get!
Again http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for the DIY

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just had my jetta trunk latch replaced three months ago with a spare from my collision center. They said it broke and replaced it with one from another vehicle for free. The new (used) trunk latch has now quit.
I cannot open trunk either electronically or with key.
I'd like to test to replace, but can't figure out how to open it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts

will this switch also cause the release buttons on the key, and the door to malfunction??? i thought it was the motor itself, but it's just fine and dandy...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (ky_jetta)

anyone??? (will it cause the door button and remote button to not work???)...

·
Registered
79 Posts

okay... so i bought this switch, now my trunk light does work but my trunk button on my key, and dr. door are still non functional? it would really help if someone would respond if you know what could be wrong. im guessing another switch, or a relay... but i have no idea where that would be located within the vehicle. thanks for any help i may recieve in advance

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

It sounds like it's either a fuse or more likely a problem with the convenience control module.
Electrical problems are difficult to diagnose over the internet. Hopefully someone who's had a similar problem will respond with an answer. If that doesn't happen, I doubt you'll get much help other than speculation.

Gary

·
Registered
79 Posts

i figured as much. im just trying to find out where the relays and other switches are so that i know where to start. and i also want to know which part of the switch in the trunk is controlled by the key/door switches.
bm

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

AFAIK, the comfort control module is up under the dash. I've never messed with it other than to add an antenna wire, so I don't know much about it. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those things that not many people on here have experience with. Consider yourself a pioneer. Good luck.

Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this great DIY. I replaced my faulty trunk latch this morning, in about 30 minutes! A managable and money-saving repair!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts