VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (VgRt6)

Hi all, I have a 2001 Jetta with same latch assembly, and my problem is that it won't lock when i push the trunk lid down. The rest of the car will lock and everything, but the trunk latch seems to not want to stay locked, meaning. If I pull up on the trunk, even after locking it, it will come up. My remote seems to still have some affect, I can hear something moving when I push the tunk button on the remote.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (Everlastingfate)

having same prob. If i push the latch up with my finger it will lock in place with a click, But a little force on the latch mechanism and it will release. I am going to take apart with the instructions above and see what i can find. I connot hear any clicking when i push the trunk release but i cant hear all that well so i will know more this afternoon. Will post results

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (Bongo264)

I've been having a lot of problems...mine won't latch period. The "trunk open" light is on all the time and no matter what I do the trunk won't latch. I took it to VW to see if maybe my warranty would cover it. They said that if it doesn't it'll cost over $200 to fix it..I think I might just buy the part and fix it myself...we'll see

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (Morris0352)

Hey everyone, if your trunk will not latch it may not be the latch itself. I put a brand new one on and it did not fix the problem. There is this white box, about half of the size of the microswitch that is talked about in this thread. What happens when you engage your trunk release is this box has a small piston like part to it that pushes out. It starts a chain reaction that opens the trunk. Mine was stuck in the "pushed out" position and that's why mine wouldn't latch. I took it off and kind of played with it and it went in all by itself and it's been fine ever since. The VW dealership wanted to charge me over $200 parts and labor to fix this...don't take it to VW it's SUPER easy to fix either problem on your own

·
Registered
225 Posts

"I'm not sure if the latch assembly comes with the micro, but based on the image below that I found on IMPEX's website, it looks like the latch may come with a micro."
What's the difference between microswitch and latch assembly?
there is some small plastic part insiide that lock that there is in the picture and it is broken in my car... so what do i need to buy? a microswitch or latch assembly???? confused

·
Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
32,995 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (rookie7799)

hey guys,
my golf is at the dealer right now... they quoted $285 to replace the latch assembly!!!!!
looks like i can get the replacement part for $30 or so from one of the online parts warehouses... how hard is the replacement for a hatchback? i'm assuming (uh-oh) that once the plastic trim is released it will be quite similar to the jetta?
Part 2:
apparently my rear driver's side door latch is jacked up too.
my alarm hasn't been arming but the alarm goes off at random... much to the chagrin of my fellow apartment dwellers.

i guess the rear hatch latch is completely dead and the door latch is on its way to the VAG parts bin in the sky (or is that in hell?). from what i understand the door latches have faulty soldering, so perhaps i can fix this issue myself without replacing the entire piece?
Part 3:
as of right now, i owe the dealer $110 for just looking at the car, hooking it up to the Vag-com and evaluating everything. they're saying it will be $285 for the rear hatch (including the $110) or $621 for both latches.
the prices quoted on the replacement latches is quite high compared to online places; they did say they would use my parts but i think the labor is the killer when it comes to the final cost.
should i try and do the rear hatch myself and then wait for the door latch to die completely?

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 5:15 PM 5-30-2006

·
Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
32,995 Posts
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

got the part today... super easy
two screws, pop off the plastic, two bolts and there ya go.
everything seems to be working - hopefully i can avoid the door latch.

oh yea... VW quoted $285 for the rear hatch latch.
VW diagnostic: $110
latch: $37 shipped
15 minutes of work: free
saved: $138
that's enough to buy the rear driver's door latch. yippy!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I replaced the latch assembly a couple of days ago. Now the in-door switch and remote entry do not work. I took the panel off again and saw that a part connected to the piston has broken. Can anyone help me find the name/retailer of this part?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet »
got the part today... super easy
two screws, pop off the plastic, two bolts and there ya go.
everything seems to be working - hopefully i can avoid the door latch.

oh yea... VW quoted $285 for the rear hatch latch.
VW diagnostic: $110
latch: $37 shipped
15 minutes of work: free
saved: $138
that's enough to buy the rear driver's door latch. yippy!

hey, what kind of bolts were those?
same problem here - really annoying!
2 years ago (when i didn't know any better) i had the dealer replace the trunk latch - and paid well more than i should for it.

thanks to everyone for all the posts and sharing info!
i just placed an order for the trunk latch, hopefully my dumb ass will be able to install it properly. while i am at it i am going to replace my stupid cup holder that busted over the years.
seriously, you guys rock - much appreciated

·
Registered
137 Posts

My problem was the broken plastic hinge on the trunk bracket, $58 CDN at the dealer. It is the part at the top left of the 4th picture. Any ideas (short of glue) which will hold the "ball and socket" joint together? That's the black rounded plastic knob on the right of the 3rd picture.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (ExVtec)

2000 GLX, no safety release on it. It looks like my microswitch possibly is going/has gone out. I can hear the motor turning (and lights flash) when I press the release button, but the lock is just not releasing/opening. After a few attempts at trying to open it the release just stops responding (lights won't flash and you can't hear the motor).
Anyone got an idea how to get the lid open so I can begin to diagnose what the problem is?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

Bump.
Any ideas to the previous post? Is it even possible to take off the carpet trim with the trunk closed? Only reason I ask is because I've got 150lbs of audio in the way, and it'd take a few hours to remove that stuff.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »

The lock assembly for a GTI/Golf is different. The part number is 1J6827505BB41 and it sells for $22.45 at 1stVWParts.

hmm.. searching for that part now comes up as "Lift gate - Gate and hardware - Lock
Lock 1999 - 2006"
$47.07!!!
hopefully this isnt correct??

^^is this the correct part im looking for? i was told it was a "microswitch/actuator for the hatch of a Golf/Gti", but they have no part number, or year.. i know it doesnt look like the jetta part shown above...?? thanks!!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (Ryan Sickles)

Quote, originally posted by Ryan Sickles »
Bump.
Any ideas to the previous post? Is it even possible to take off the carpet trim with the trunk closed? Only reason I ask is because I've got 150lbs of audio in the way, and it'd take a few hours to remove that stuff.

Yes you can remove the lining and opo the trunk from the inside. I had to do the same thing to get mine open. However I figured out later that if I turn the key really hard to the left it would open it.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts