VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (RavinJetta)

Quote, originally posted by RavinJetta »

Yes you can remove the lining and opo the trunk from the inside. I had to do the same thing to get mine open. However I figured out later that if I turn the key really hard to the left it would open it.

Thanks a bunch.

Here comes 3hrs of audio removal...

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (Ryan Sickles)

Quote, originally posted by Ryan Sickles »
Bump.
Any ideas to the previous post? Is it even possible to take off the carpet trim with the trunk closed? Only reason I ask is because I've got 150lbs of audio in the way, and it'd take a few hours to remove that stuff.

I'm pretty sure that you can get the carpet off if you climb into the trunk. It may not come off far, but should be enough to grab the release mechanism and open the trunk.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (JEEP VS GTI)

What part are you looking for the actuator or the lock?
Quote, originally posted by JEEP VS GTI »

hmm.. searching for that part now comes up as "Lift gate - Gate and hardware - Lock
Lock 1999 - 2006"
$47.07!!!
hopefully this isnt correct??

^^is this the correct part im looking for? i was told it was a "microswitch/actuator for the hatch of a Golf/Gti", but they have no part number, or year.. i know it doesnt look like the jetta part shown above...?? thanks!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (VgRt6)

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
What part are you looking for the actuator or the lock?

im looking for whatever will have a shot at making my trunk light work, and make my car know that the trunk is closed.
a seperate(i think) problem is that my hatch wont unlock with the keyfob or door switch, only phisically turning the key works. thats next.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

Turns out it wasn't the microswitch; the linkage that the motor pushes to release the lock mechanism broke! It is Pos. #32 and #33 in this diagram: http://www.agthompsonfamily.co...3.jpg
It's riveted into the bracket, so all you can buy is the whole assembly (part #1J5 827 425 D). This is the only place I've found it online: http://www.cnautopart.com.cn/p...=2580
Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order. Anyone have this happen before?
Picture:

·
Registered
876 Posts

If the trunk light is not working because of a bad microswitch, then all you need to order is 8D5959489B. Should be around $15 at http://www.1stvwparts.com.

ohh, i was so close to buying it..
but i have a gti. and that is for the jetta, and your original post states what the jetta microswitch part number is, the jetta lock assembly, and the gti lock assembly, but not the gti microswitch...
do i have to purchase the whole assembly? and are we sure that it comes with the microswitch? (its now a $34 part)(definitely want to find out before i shell out the $)
i think i need that actuator too, unless the microswitch is going to help me with my problem of the hatch not unlocking electronicaly...
thanks for the excellent writeup. just trying to clear some things up for the gti fellahs.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

Call up 1stvwparts and ask them if the part number is the same for the GTI. 1-888-528-5280. Ask for Zeb in internet parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts

New at this website, i had a trunk latch that would not close. Took apart latch and the small spring had come off one end. Hooked it back up and the truck now closes. A cheap spring is the weak link.
DG

·
Registered
876 Posts

Call up 1stvwparts and ask them if the part number is the same for the GTI. 1-888-528-5280. Ask for Zeb in internet parts.

had an email conversation with someone there.. asked what the microswitch part number was for the gti hatch...
Vw part number: 1J6-953-230-A $22.50
ill be ordering this, and the actuator (1M0959781A) and will confirm the part #s so it can be added to your original post. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
34 Posts

Yes, I have the EXACT same problem. Need to find the part.
--------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the double-post.
I didn't end up finding the part. I glued it once with JBWeld and it lasted a day or two and then broke.
I then disassembled, and reglued with JBWeld and then put Goop on top. This time I really layered the broken part. I think I even put a piece of metal in the glue but I can't remember now b/c it was a couple of months ago. In any case, it's held up for a few months. Not sure if winter will make a difference but the glue is curing more and more so maybe it'll hold up. YMMV.

Modified by kaka_kong at 10:18 AM 8-16-2008

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (chillywilly521)

I'm a little confused as to which part might be bad on my car. My trunk won't open with the Key Fob or using the key in the trunk when turning it to the right (electronically). However, when I stick the key in the trunk and turn it hard to the left I can mechanically open the trunk. Sounds like this is NOT the microswitch but the Central Door Lock module. The trunk closes without issue and the system thinks the trunk is closed (ie no 'trunk open' indicator on the dash).
Thanks,
ChillyWilly

·
Registered
26 Posts

Hi ryan,
i read your post back in 2007 about the trunk part being broken, you attached two pictures. I have the same problem now and need to buy that part. where did you buy it and were you able to do it yourself, seems like an easy thing to do. please reply at [email protected]
thanks so much

·
Registered
2 Posts

Since someone said my post was too long, I decided to short it.
Basically trunk will not open with switch/remote key. Opens with key manually. Checked the mechanism, nothing broken. When I tried to release it electrically, the motor does not work/energize. I unplugged motor connection and check for voltage while applying release signal from key, no voltage. Gas lid works, assuming not a fuse or CCM module problem. I hear a clicking noise like a relay energizing by the CCM module when activating switch on door. Suspecting problem in wiring from CCM to trunk.
Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Modified by superfrog66 at 6:43 PM 5-5-2009

·
Registered
641 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (superfrog66)

Quote, originally posted by superfrog66 »
I am experiencing the same problem as far as the switch/ remote key not opening trunk. The only way I can open the trunk is by inserting the key and turning hard to the left. I removed my trunk lid and nothing is broken and I can release the lock easily manually. I took the plug out of the motor and then activate my key and I measure no voltage at the plug. Then I figure I am not getting any power. I went the fuse box and everything is working i.e. gas lid, remote locks so i know my fuse is good and hopefully my CCM module. Now, I can hear a click when i use my switch on the door. The click noise comes around the CCM module like a relay is activating. It started to rain so I had to stop. I am thinking it could be a wiring problem. I am going to do a continuity check from the CCM to the motor tomorrow.
In the mean time, can anyone tell me if it could be anything else? I do not have a good electrical diagram as far as the microswitch and I do not comprehend that unless I have a diagram. I was hoping that someone could tell me where to go from here.
A lot of people are saying that they have the same issue i.e. can only open the trunk with the key. Cannot open w/ remote and switch on door. No one has posted a clear solution to the problem other than mentioning the microswitch.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Long e-mail, hopefully someone will make sense of this. LOL

Modified by superfrog66 at 6:24 PM 5-5-2009

Modified by superfrog66 at 6:25 PM 5-5-2009

Too many words. What the hell.

·
Registered
29 Posts

SO I have a question...my switch seems to still be working (as in when I push the unlock button on my key and in the car I hear it activating) but the actually latch itself will not initiate. It wont lock at all. So I am wondering what you think it may be and how much the part costs for the latch.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts