VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta

Do you need to jump the wires right at the switch, or can you do it at the plug? If you can do it at the plug, then the switch is not my problem, so what should be the next thing to look at?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: DIY - Replacing trunk microswitch on MKIV Jetta (superfrog66)

Did you solve your problem?
I have MK4 GTi.
I noticed the lack of motor noise when I open the trunk with driver side door switch or key. And the trunk was not locked for sometime.
I took off hatch panel and disconnect the rod between the latch and the actuator.
I can turn key to open the hatch.
I thought it was the actuator and ordered a new one, connect it but still the hatch won't lock.
Can it be fuse(which fuse?), or wiring?
Any help/suggestion please. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice DIY!
I have a Golf MK4. I can open the trunk using the key, but when i use the remote or driver side switch, all i can hear is a minor noise as if the motor is trying to pop it open but cant. Will replacing the trunk microswitch help?

Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
time to bring this back from the dead. does anyone have a DIY to change the microswitch on the golf/gti? i called the dealer and they said that you can buy the switch and bracket seperately opposed to the entire thing. but in one of the previous posts where one guy showed the pic of it not being possible..... old thread, but any new knowledge/help will be greatly appreciated, tia.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Would it be possible to just bypass the switch so I can lock my doors?
unplug the little plug behind the latch....its only 2 wires...not the 3 wire.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The popper and what not will still work?
Yes. I have mine like this. i unplugged mine since it sets my alarm off every 30 secs. U can still use the key to unlock like normal and the button. Give it a shot then let me know. Im actually gonna take mine apart to fix it today too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Answering my own questions and possibly help for others

There appears to be the complete Etka diagrams (or up to 2005) for the Jetta (and the complete VW Auto Group, including SEAT, Audi, etc) here
Note that this is a Russian site, though the docs are largely in English. Would help with the tables of contents if you could phonetically sound out the Russian words...which then are often identical to their English counterparts, once you can sound out the Cyrillic alphabet.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Since someone said my post was too long, I decided to short it.
Basically trunk will not open with switch/remote key. Opens with key manually. Checked the mechanism, nothing broken. When I tried to release it electrically, the motor does not work/energize. I unplugged motor connection and check for voltage while applying release signal from key, no voltage. Gas lid works, assuming not a fuse or CCM module problem. I hear a clicking noise like a relay energizing by the CCM module when activating switch on door. Suspecting problem in wiring from CCM to trunk.
Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Modified by superfrog66 at 6:43 PM 5-5-2009
Anyone ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problems.
Well I know that was a while ago but did you check the wiring as linked earlier in this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3804453

I used the JettaTrunk.com replacement part to fix my trunk not unlocking. Note that you can use the key and press a little extra to the right to force your broken trunk to open even if the electric piston method is broken.

My problem now is that my trunk light is intermittently on. I ripped the plastic off my latch while trying to figure out this issue and I'm wondering if that messed it up. Going to go open it up and take a look after I replace the locking mechanism in my driver's door (bad microswitches so car doesn't sense door open).

61 - 76 of 76 Posts