VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to code your RNS 510 in a 2010 GTI:
Select the CAN Gateway and put a check in the box beside NAVIGATION.

Unselect Position Sensing and disconnect the compass in the rear of the headliner.

Open the rear hatch and pull off the trim piece at the top on the rear of the headliner. The connection is on the drivers side connected to the sharkfin antenna. I had to use two hands to disconnect it. The trim piece just pops back on when you’re done.

Select Navigation or Radio (both have the same settings) and code it to the accessories in your vehicle. My GTI has Dynaudio, MDI, Aux-in, and 9W2 Bluetooth.

Check the box labeled AUX-input to activate the AUX input.

At the next Byte you’ll need to select the sound system you have. Either Dynaudio or VW I believe.

Select Sound System active speakers at this drop down.

I think this one was already programmed correctly.

Check the box next to Shortpress Steering Wheel Buttons to activate the Steering Wheel Buttons. Check the boxes for Bits 2 & 3 to activate the Speed Threshold features on the RNS 510. The drop down for Bits 4-5 changes the color of the screen on the unit. The highline option makes the preset boxes silver, I never tried sportline, but I’ve read that it’s bright. Premium makes the preset boxes black and red (pictured below). Check the box next to Bit 7 to get the navigation information to show up on the cluster.

You don't need to check the CD changer/iPod box unless you have a cd changer. The MDI input does not need it.
I forgot to take a screen shot of the workshop code screen, but I just put 01234 or something like that in each box to prevent it from throwing a code. I'll get a shot of it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
MINI R60 JCW, BMW F30 B58
4,030 Posts
Re: DIY: RNS 510 Coding (BarryT82)

Nicely detailed.http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
FYI, You can use "Alt + Print Screen" Keys on your keyboard next tie to get better screenshots. Just paste each screenshot in Microsoft Paint and save as jpg.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: FV-QR (maloosheck)

I use a netbook with the vag com and a macbook in the house, so it would be a pain to use screen shots. The netbook is kind of slow. I never changed the workshops codes from zeros to numbers and I don't have any codes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Re: FV-QR (BarryT82)

Thanks for taking the time to document it. Very appreciated http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could you elaborate on that? Just not sure what that means or where those settings are located. Thanks!
When you code the NAV (before you click on the Long Coding helper) at the bottom of the screen (I think... I don't have it front of me at the moment though).

·
Registered
816 Posts
sorry for being a bit of a noob but what does RNS 510 coding actually do.. from the picture i could see that it altered the compass and radio color layout.. or does it do something else much more..?

·
Registered
373 Posts
When you code the NAV (before you click on the Long Coding helper) at the bottom of the screen (I think... I don't have it front of me at the moment though).
I am a noob too, so I still don't follow. What are Workshop Code, Importer #, and Equipment # (i.e., what do they do)? How do you set them? And if you don't, and it "throws the code" what does that mean?

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll see workshop code, importer #, and equipment # at the bottom of the screen when you do the programming. The coding makes the steering wheel multi function buttons work, disables the positioning sensor, adds the navigation screen to the cluster, enables the aux input and mdi cable.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You'll see workshop code, importer #, and equipment # at the bottom of the screen when you do the programming. The coding makes the steering wheel multi function buttons work, disables the positioning sensor, adds the navigation screen to the cluster, enables the aux input and mdi cable.
is this even without navigation..?? lets say i bought the gti mk6 with all the package except navi.. you would be able to put navigation trough my cluster screen.. im i reading that right..?? if this is right do someone here live in Jersey area who could help me do this to my mk6 gti.. willing to pay.. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
You'll see workshop code, importer #, and equipment # at the bottom of the screen when you do the programming.
That's the part I don't get. What do those do? What does throwing the code mean?

The coding makes the steering wheel multi function buttons work, disables the positioning sensor, adds the navigation screen to the cluster, enables the aux input and mdi cable.
That part (and the step-by-step pics above) I get.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nicely detailed.http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
FYI, You can use "Alt + Print Screen" Keys on your keyboard next tie to get better screenshots. Just paste each screenshot in Microsoft Paint and save as jpg.
i agee, excellent write up. would highly suggest alt-print screen for the clearest pics. maybe sticky this as well in the FAQ's

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just pulled down the headliner on my 2010 Jetta SportWagen, and I only see one cable going to the base of the shark fin. Is this green connector shown the one I should disconnect, or is the compass probably somewhere else in my car?

Thanks

you should see something that looks like this, its Velcroed to the ceiling next to the sharkfin.

·
Registered
373 Posts
There was one other thing also that you don't have to select, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll get some new pics and update this soon.
Just wondering if the instructions above are now the final instructions, or is there still something listed in the above instructions that actually should not be selected?

Also, do you need to "reset" the RNS510 at any point in this process? If so, how is that done? And does that erase the maps that are on the hard drive?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll get to it today or tomorrow. I didn't do print screens because I was didn't have time to take pics from the PC and put them on my Macbook. My kid was born a day before I did the write up. I just threw it together to help a few people out.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts