VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY: RPM PICKUP FOR AWP MOTORS (not coils)

I was frustrated that I couldn't find much info on this. AWD motors have a wire right on the cluster that can be tapped for an RPM signal. AWP motors do not.
This is my trivial DIY on how to pick up an RPM signal for an AWP motor.
First remove the wipers, rain tray and associated pieces so you can have access to the area where the ecu is (specifically the wiper motor area on the driver's side) - If you are concerned with removing this then you shouldn't be picking up an RPM signal for anything (no offense).
The area you need to access is directly behind my screwdriver here:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

After you remove all of that you will see the wiper assembly/motor. This is held on to the chassis by 3 bolts (they will be obvious). They are 10mm. Remove these three bolts. It's essential to remove this in order to pull back the plastic housing protecting the harness you're trying to access. Be sure to disconnect the connector on the wiper motor itself. It just unclips like any other connector. Take the wiper assembly and set it aside.
Now you will see the following:

This is the plastic cover that needs to be removed in order to access the harness and it's connectors (specifically the orange connector). It is held in place by two odd looking 10mm nuts. They unscrew with little effort. At this point you need to pull back the cover a bit to get access to the connectors. My suggestion is that you disconnect all 5 or 6 connectors. This will allow you to pull the whole cover back and have easy access to the wire you need. Otherwise it's tough to get around in that space. You'll see what I mean when you get to that step.
Once you disconnect all of the connectors, you're connector of interest is the ORANGE connector. While I know you know what an orange connector looks like, here's a pic of what you want specifically:

The wire that you want for the RPM pick up is on PIN #9. If you're uneasy about what "PIN #9" actually means, just look at the connector itself. There are small #'s on it showing which wire goes to which pin. Tap into that wire and you'll have your RPM pickup.
You can run your wire into the area however you want, I just ran mine in through the factory spot. I cut a small hole in it and ran my wire through there.

And that's about it.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif now i can hook up my Rlcer 5" 10k rpm tach that the turbo s2k kid gave me hehehe
edit: vortex sucks, who edits the word Rlcer when spelled *****

·
Banned
10,634 Posts
Re: (EdsGTI20VT)

Quote, originally posted by EdsGTI20VT »
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif now i can hook up my Rlcer 5" 10k rpm tach that the turbo s2k kid gave me hehehe

Yeah, that's lame, and you actually have a need for 10K tach.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: DIY: RPM PICKUP FOR AWP MOTORS (chaugner)

Quote, originally posted by chaugner »
nice, I was going to try to tap coils for an rpm signal but after seeing this I may just take your route. Any issues with the signal not being accurate or is it dead on?

dead on for sure...this Zeitronix thing is pretty slick...muuuuuch beter than the vag-com logging. The sample rate is ridiculous

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: DIY: RPM PICKUP FOR AWP MOTORS (chaugner)

Quote, originally posted by chaugner »
nice, I was going to try to tap coils for an rpm
signal but after seeing this I may just take your route. Any issues with the signal not being accurate or is it dead on?

Also Chris...I initially tapped the coil and it didn't work. I couldn't pick up a signal for the zeitronix for whatever reason I don't know.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Re: DIY: RPM PICKUP FOR AWP MOTORS (1QuickDub)

Quote, originally posted by 1QuickDub »

Also Chris...I initially tapped the coil and it didn't work. I couldn't pick up a signal for the zeitronix for whatever reason I don't know.

yeah you have to get some [insert name of device here] to get a proper reading. Not sure what those things are called

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Re: DIY: RPM PICKUP FOR AWP MOTORS (1QuickDub)

My bentley's wiring diagram says that wire goes between the ECU and cluster:
ECU pin #37
cluster pin #11 on blue connector

BUT also says it's only on cars made thru 4/02
just FYI

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: (EdsGTI20VT)

Quote, originally posted by EdsGTI20VT »

HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHA (annoying laugh)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Re: (BlancoNino)

Actually you may tap into the interior connection by finding a pin to slide into the orange connector (That is the hard part). Essentially it can be done on the interior side.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Re: (03VDUB)

just to chime in, i tapped pin 9 today and the tach was all over the place, the signal seems intermittent and it wont rev over 3k rpm, i wonder if my car needs to tap off of the blue connector like mentioned above....any input would be great. And yes the tach is wired 100% correct and for a 4 cyl

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Re: (EdsGTI)

do you have a voltmeter, you may want to check the signal first. you said pin 9? well thats the one i have laid out for my swap cars. ill test a signal this weekend. p/m me to remind me because i will forget.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.