VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All credits go to SVTWEB. He made it possible. I just describe what I did in my car.
Standard disclaimer: This document is for informational purposes only. Neither the author nor this site will be held liable for actions taken resulting from the information set forth herein.
Lil' background before we start:
Up to MY06.5 I believe all US mk5s were equipped with the Passat B6 cruise control concept with the "third" stalk below the light/blinkers switch. Some may find it useful, others (like me) found it annoying, especially that I was simultaneously driving mk4 (gone by now). Surprisingly, VW decided to make a change in MY07+ GTI and started installing Euro style cruise control integrated in the light/blinkers switch. Bye bye third stalk.
Tools and first steps are covered in the immortal MFSW retrofit by the.ronin: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2938601
You might also need a knife from your wife's/mom's silverware ;-).
Parts required:
1. Integrated light/blinkers/cc stalk - 1K0 953 513 A
2. Lower cover of the steering column - 1K0 858 559 C
3. SWCM: yes, you need a designated control module that works with the single stalk. So far I know the following Multi-Function SWCMs work with single stalk:
1K0 953 549 AG
1K0 953 549 AK
And the one that does not work (works with the dual stalk):
1K0 953 549 AJ
1K0 953 549 AC
1K0 953 549 J
4. Clock spring: here is a list of clock springs I tested and the controllers I confirmed them working with:
1K0 959 653 C (works with: AG, AK)
1K0 959 653 D (works with: AJ, AG)
5. Harness: this part is slightly confusing to me, as the clock springs listed above have a different connector, so they use different harnesses. AFAIK there are two Multi-Function harnesses:
1K0 971 584 C (works with C spring, single igniter airbag)
1K0 971 584 L (works with D spring, dual igniter airbag)
NOTE: There is a great info about the compatibility of controllers here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/inde..._(1K)
After all this info some conclusion:
Primo: The safest choice is the AG controller as it works with both types of clock springs.
Secondo: If you get the harness that does not work with your airbag, don't worry. You can combine two harnesses by extracting airbag wires from the old harness (even if it is non-MF) and attaching them to the new one.
How to: once you remove the SWCM (refer to the.ronin's DIY), you need to pull out the clock spring. Make sure the wheels are straight and the new clock spring is centered:

Here is how it looks:

Now time to remove the clock spring sensor:

Finally, the access to the stalks:

Now the most complicated part of this DIY: sliding out the stalk. It is locked with 2 latches marked with red arrows. One between the stalk and the column and the other behind the lever:

The best way to remove it is to put the silverware knife between the stalk and column, use the small flat screwdriver to unlock the second latch (red arrows), and slide out the stalk on the two rails (green arrows).

Now slide the new stalk and install the clock spring sensor:

Last thing is to put the new clock spring. New ones come locked with the red tab, so make sure you remove it before the installation.
The rest is described in the.ronin's DIY.
Enjoy your new stalk:

PS. First question after reading this is whether it is worth the money and effort. As a single mod for sure it is not. But if you consider installing the MFSW, you might as well kill two birds with one stone.
Modified by maloosheck at 12:01 PM 3-15-2008

Modified by maloosheck at 6:15 AM 6-16-2008

Modified by maloosheck at 10:08 AM 6-18-2008

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: DIY: Single stalk cruise control retrofit (maloosheck)

Well, I know a lot of people has crossed this mod out of their lists once they found out the required effort, especially financial.
But I think there is a hope. Apparently, there are vehicles with D clock spring and the original harness and with the single cruise control stalk. Which basically means that the only thing you might need for the stalk is the different controller.
I am going to take a closer look at the whole thing over the weekend.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Re: (DubRadio)

Quote, originally posted by DubRadio »
shouldve bought an 07 with single stalk lol jk

My 07 has a dual stalk

I hate that damned thing. I think my car just missed the cut for the single. Our MKIV has the single and it's much easier to use IMO. I'm used to that single design too, all my previous Audis had that style.
New Audis actually use the 2 stalk solution still, must be Audi owners preferred it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: (bd jay)

does any one have an idea what`s the right part number for the control module and a harness for the mfsw with paddles for a dsg 2007 with a single air bag igniter? to make it work the transmission, menu volume etc?
its a TDI

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (JUANE DSG TDI)

Quote, originally posted by JUANE DSG TDI »
does any one have an idea what`s the right part number for the control module and a harness for the mfsw with paddles for a dsg 2007 with a single air bag igniter? to make it work the transmission, menu volume etc?
its a TDI

Do you have cruise control like this:

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (VWsuperhero)

Quote, originally posted by VWsuperhero »
What was the approximate cost of this "mod" anyway?

Dealership prices ~$400.
Classifieds ~$200.
That's why I said it does not make sense on its own. With MFSW retrofit an incremental cost for this mod is ~$100 (at classified prices).

Modified by maloosheck at 12:47 PM 6-17-2008

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.