VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Passat SEL Premium
10,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had issues with random throttle valve pressure drop codes and rough running and limp mode. Also the car likes to randomly idle high, 1200rpm high. I also had loud boost hissing noise when boosting, sounds like a boost leak. I would get these codes;

7 Faults Found:

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve
P1297 - 35-00 - -
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
P1136 - 35-00 - -
16891 - Idle Control System RPM: Higher than Expected.
P0507 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

At first i though, ok bad throttle body. Replaced that and it was good for about 2 weeks. Then it happened again. So I unplugged the connector and sprayed some electrical cleaner on it and re-connected it. Car ran fine for about a week, then it did it again. Well I searched around and found that 01-02 g/j/b they made the harness to the TB too short. Yea, it sure looks short, the wires go 180deg bend right after the connector. So I went and bought A new connector and wires to put on my car.

Parts:
1J0-973-713 connector - $9.90
000-979-038-FA wireset - $16.50
000-979-019-EA wireset - $9.90 x 2
Also you need 6 red 3m style heat shrink crimp connectors

Note, the connector has 6 wires. The each wireset needs to be cut in 1/2.

Here is the wiring at my connector (02 gti awp 1.8t)
1-blue/white stripe
2-purple/white stripe
3-white
4-blue/grey stripe
5-purple/black stripe
6-white/grey stripe

Note the fat wires are in 3/5 slots

Put all the wires into the connector.

From the old connector, you need to pull out the old wires so you can get the plug that goes around the wire (weather pack)

slide the plugs onto the new wires.

Now I put all the crimp connectors on the wires of the new setup.

And then now crimp all the wires in line to the harness on the car. Note, I put a plate behind them because the fuel lines are right there, didnt care to start a fire in the garage.

After crimping and heating all the wires on I taped it up nice and what not. Test drove car and it is amazing ,the car boosts quick now and I dont have the loud hissing noise when boosting (prob the throttle plate malfunctioning)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
bump. resurrecting this thread for a second... i'm helping some friends with their 1.8t NB, and it's throwing a bunch of codes for the throttle body/lean/misfires/etc. there's no dealer around for about 4 hours, so that's out of the question.

i unplugged the TB with the car off, checked to make sure everything around the throttle body looked good, and it did. i plugged the TB connector plug back into the TB, and it ran great (it was missing/backfiring/running like crap before - dude told me before i got there that he couldn't get it off of idle).

i'm thinking it's the plug, but i'm not 100%. the wires all looked fine with no kinks or bare wires, and the terminals themselves all looked clean/unbent.

no VAG-COM, so i can't just adapt it. i cleared the codes and they stayed off after i rev'd the piss out of it.

am i missing anything, or should i just go for it?

thanks. :beer:

edit: this happened before, and i did the same thing about 6 months ago and it was cool for a while - it's back after they had somebody else change the radiator out and mess with the front end stuff

·
Registered
2014 Passat SEL Premium
10,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you wont know the wires are bad without taking them out of the connector.
If there was a problem, you unplugged it, and plugged it back in, and then the connector /harness is bad.

Its common. due the fact the wires are stretched 180deg back.

but it seems like you also have other issues, like a blown out pcv hose or something

·
Registered
2 Posts
Necrobump!

I'm having similar problems with my b5 s4. Can anyone confirm the mk iv's 6-pin throttle body connectors are the same? They *look* the same, and we all know how well that kind of intel can lead. But after a bit of online scouting, I can't come up with anything definitive. If anybody's got an ETKA, that'd be much appreciated. tia

·
Registered
2014 Passat SEL Premium
10,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.