VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
This is a quick DIY for hardwiring a Neon Tube to the factory trunk light system. Originally, I did not plan to write the DIY but some people on the tex requested it so here it is...
TOOLS AND PARTS NEEDED:
1. One neon tube of your favourite color and size. I used 15" blue from AdvancedAutoParts. You can definitely find cheaper neon lights from ebay but I did not wanted to wait....
2. Wire stripper/Cutter
3. Drill with various bits. I used my buddy's Black And Decker with chargable battery
4. Soldering Iron and some solder (OPTIONAL)
5. Some patience...
STEP 1:
Pick a good location for your neon tube. I spend good 20 minutes doing this. There are plenty of locations where you can mount the tube but I wanted a place where the light will go down directly on the trunk and not in my face. Also I was looking for even amount of light on almost all parts in the trunk.
I put my neon tube on the rear seats support. There I found flat surface to drill and I had an easy access from the rear seats. Also, there the neon tube is most protected from suitcases and other luggage that might break the light!
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

STEP 2:
Center the light and mark the location of the two holes where you will drill.
Carefully drill two little holes and enlarge them according to the bolts provided with the neon tube. Note: it drills very easy and be carefull with the metal shavings. Don't cut your fingers like I did!

STEP 3:
Mount the neon tube and make sure that the end where the wire is coming out is facing the left side of the car. That way you will be able to hide the wire inder the trunk carpet much easier.

STEP 4:
Pop the stock trunk light off. Then guide the neon wire over the trunk carpet to the hole above the CD changer where the stock light plugs in:

STEP 5:
UNPLUG FUSE 38 (trunk light switch). Possibly fuse 14 on later models:
Cut the cigarette lighter connector from the neon tube wire. Then strip the two wires on the neon tube. You can either solder them to the stock trunk light bulb holder assembly or you can just splice them to the original wires and then tape them with electrical tape. This is what I did because I was too lazy to solder

Plug the fuse back (fuse 38 I believe. On 2004 fuse #14) and see if things are working. As soon as you plug the fuse, the light should come on. If not, then your micro switch might be bad (like mine was) and you need to order a new switch and replace it.
STEP 5:
If everything is working fine, reassemble everything and have a beer!
Here is the final result at night:

UPDATE EVERYONE:
It has been reported that there is a difference with the fuses in the different years of MK4s. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif On my 1999.5 GL the fuse for the trunk light is number 38. Several users reported that they had to unplug fuse #14! I am not sure when the change occured!

Modified by vasillalov at 3:33 PM 9-7-2004

·
Registered
15,088 Posts
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (RavinJetta)

Cold Cathode and Neon are not the same, you have neon.
Please learn the difference.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (DarthVader)

Quote, originally posted by DarthVader »

Sorry, I was not aware of the difference! I updated the thread!

·
Registered
205 Posts
wow, that is a pretty neat idea, i just hope that that neon light u used is the same or less wattage/voltage as the stock bulb from the trunk light, or else u will eventually end up in trouble

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (DarthVader)

Quote, originally posted by DarthVader »

What an a$$!! The guy is posting a DIY and you just take notice at the small mistakes! And in BOLD!!!
I can't beleive this.
Thanks vasillalov! Excellent DIY

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (vasillalov)

Nice write up DIY http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I picked up a DIY cold cathode kit last year from Evsnajetta. Looks great and very easy too. I wonder if he is still selling them.?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (goosmn)

Thanks for the writeup, I'm gonna try to get around to that in a month or so when my car is all said and done with the body shops and paintshops and I can find a neon with a good low wattage... don't want to be blowing fuse's left and right... thats what the 86 s10 was for... o the good ole days of not realizing a I blew the fuse for the brakelights

·
Registered
358 Posts
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (Jimbo19)

wow thats awesome thanks for the write up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (Black1.8Turbo)

Nice writeup. But that will not work in a Golf/GTI due to there being no seat support. I have had mine in my trunk for over a year. I just mounted it on the right side under the plastic part of the shelf.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (Buddha09)

Gotta ask....whats the micro switch? I have no trunk light in my jetta and this is something I'd really like to do....today even. So when I plug the fuse back in, the trunk light will come on only when the trunk is open as well correct? Just gotta make sure so I dont have to manually turn it on/off everytime I do open the trunk. Thanks! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (TwinkleToez)

The microswitch is in the lock that actually "clamps" down in the trunk. It detects when your trunk is open. It does several functions:
1. It turns the light in the trunk (you know the little itsi bitsi bulbe above the CD Changer compartment.
2. It turns on a small open trunk indicator on the dash when you start the engine and you don't have the trunk shut
3. Turns on the alarm if someone breaks into your trunk!
Here is the DIY by VgRt6 http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=945378
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for him!
To answer some prevuous questions: the neon tubes generally use ver very little power. I have installed neon tubes in the trunk of my previous car (Chevy) and it ran for 3.5 years till I sold it. And I had no fuse or relay problems. So you are safe using the neon tubes...

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (vasillalov)

Ah so I have to take off the trunk carpet liner AND pay $48.95 for a new microswitch? Did you have to take off the carpeting for your install? This part im mentioning...

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: DIY Trunk Neon Light... Pics Inside (TwinkleToez)

Quote, originally posted by TwinkleToez »
Ah so I have to take off the trunk carpet liner AND pay $48.95 for a new microswitch? Did you have to take off the carpeting for your install? This part im mentioning...

Take off the carpeting - Yes, ONLY if your switch is broken! If the switch is OK, then just follow my DIY!
Paying $48.95 = NO
I got my microswitch for $11.xx from http://1stvwparts.com
the $48.95 deal is probably for the whole assemby! Dig into it...

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Hey I just got back from the auto store, and all their neon lighting is only powered by a cigarette lighter...I cant find the type of electrical connection that you got on yours. And I dont have any trunk light that goes on im my car at all and when I open the trunk my display only says that a "door" is open. No specific trunk light...is there suppose to be a "trunk" light opening like my "door open" light? I guess this means I have to get the microswitch now

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (TwinkleToez)

Quote, originally posted by TwinkleToez »
Hey I just got back from the auto store, and all their neon lighting is only powered by a cigarette lighter...I cant find the type of electrical connection that you got on yours. And I dont have any trunk light that goes on im my car at all and when I open the trunk my display only says that a "door" is open. No specific trunk light...is there suppose to be a "trunk" light opening like my "door open" light? I guess this means I have to get the microswitch now

I don't think you are paying enough attention!
In STEP 5 First sentense sais: "Cut the cigarette lighter connector from the neon tube wire." This answes your problem with the cigarrete lighter plug!
Then as I previously stated, if your switch is broken then your "open trunk indicator" in the dash will not come on when you start your engine and the trunk is open! I strongly believe that you should have also trunk open indicator, not only the open door indicator.
Also, the connection that you are looking at is right above your CD Changer door. You kinda have to stick your neck in there and look streight up and you will see it!

Ahhh, if only people would spend enough time reading...

1 - 20 of 105 Posts