VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY Two-Tone Rear VW Emblem. Lots of pics. Beware

*Disclaimer I am not responsible for your mistakes this is only my experience that I am sharing. General information.
This is my first attempt at a DIY so any suggestions are appreciate.
Ok lets get Started this is our before picture:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Items needs thin hard plastic, Credit Card, club card etc.
I went to my local auto paint store and talk to the "expert" he said not to use sandpaper because it will open the pores and the paint will bubble. I've people use sandpaper on the front emblem, so prepping the plastic is up to you.

1 Can of Bulldog Adhesion Promoter
1 Can color match paint. You can find your paint code in the owners manual.
1 Can Black paint
1 Can Clear coat.
1 Abrasive pad

1 Roll of 3M double sided super strength tape.
All items were just shy of $70.00
Step 1: Removing Rear badge. Lock Rear hatch.
Push on the upper portion of the hatch handle and insert card through the botttom.

Use a sawing motion and upward force to get the card to cut the double sided tape underneath. Be advised don't break the handle or emblem because you will then be screwed. $200.00+ for replacement. This is the biggest PITA Step. Once done it will look like this:

My Chrome portion came off while trying to remove the whole emblem. It's held in with tabs you can push out. Luckily my tabs didn't break. If yours does just use the double sided tape or glue to attach the VW back on the background after the painting.
Step 2: Use dish soap, water, and the abrasive pad to clean both plastic pieces. ( These were directions from the paint guy). Be sure to rough up the surfaces. Finished looks like this:

Step 3: Apply Bulldog. Even light coat. Two if you think you need it.

Can States its ready for spray 5-10 minutes. I let it sit a little long just to be sure. Mean while you can remove the access tape on the back of the hatch handle on the car.
Step 4: Apply paint. Again even light coats. I think 3 is sufficient, but whatever floats your boat. Wait 20-30 minutes between coats.

Step 5: Clear Coat. Wait 20-30 minutes after last coat of paint. Then apply even layer of clear coat. I used two coats of clear coat waiting 20 minutes between coats.

Step 6. Let it dry and settle. I waited about two days before attaching the two pieces and putting it on the car.
Step 7. Clip two pieces back together. With all the dry paint this required some force. so not to put finger prints on the emblem I put a piece of smooth paper between my finger and the emblem.

Step 8. Attached double sided tape. I used two strips. I think that will hold if want to add more go ahead. Just be aware not to cover the notch in the back that goes into the rest of the handle.

You can clearly see the notch between the two pieces of tape.
Step 9. Remove red strips from tape. Align notch and press firmly against handle. Presto!!!

Step 10. Enjoy. Take pictures, Show off. You did it.

Thanks for looking Vortexers.

Modified by elhombre923 at 8:57 AM 3-29-2007

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Re: DIY Two-Tone Rear VW Emblem. Lots of pics. Beware (glydingsoul)

Quote, originally posted by glydingsoul »

unfortunately my car has the old hatch handle that is one pice...not the two that you have. i'll have to look into replacing it.

Yeah same here.
It looks great! nice DIY http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (tua09282)

Yes I debadged waiting for the paint to dry
what can I say I'm impatient. I also cleaned my windows.
The other things I've done to my car are : 20% tint, debadged, smoked altezza tails <flamesuit on> , black mesh grill < put on second flamesuit>, Two-toned front emblem, smoked side markers, RS eyelids.
Next week 18" zyoxx zx7 black with mach lip.
Soon to come: smoked turn signals
Debating: Black mirror caps, black vinyls on hood and roof.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.