VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

DIY: Tyrolsport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit

44K views 65 replies 27 participants last post by  68redbug2000jetta 
#1 ·
I am not responsible for any damage or personal injury incurred while attempting this DIY
So last weekend I got around to installing my Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit. I bought the kit a week earlier and I received it 3 days after placing my order so http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for the fast shipping. My final bill came out to $103.49 shipped. I chose to do the stainless steel snap ring upgrade because I have an obsession with stainless steel, but if you choose to go with the regular carbon steel snap rings your bill will be $93.49.
Here is a link to the Tyrolsport website:
http://tyrolsport.com/vwperformance.htm
Here is a pic of everything you get in the kit from Tyrolsport:
(4) Bronze Bushings
(4) Stainless Steel Guide Pins
(4) Stainless Steel Snap rings
Small tube of synthetic brake caliper grease

The basic tools that you need for the install are:
Flathead Screwdriver
7mm hex bit socket
3/8" Ratchet for hex bit
Torque Wrench is optional but highly recommended
Needle Nose Pliers
Wire clothes hanger or other device to support hanging brake caliper

1. Start the install by jacking up the front end of your car and supporting it with jackstands. Safety always comes first.
2. Remove both front wheels and gather all of your tools for the install.
3. Begin by prying off the metal retaining clip on the front of the brake caliper. A flathead screw driver will pop them right out. Place them aside because they will need to be reinstalled later.

Retaining clip removed:

4. next grab your 7mm hex bit socket and a ratchet. Locate the 2 stock caliper guide pins on the back of your brake caliper. There is one on top and one on bottom. They may or may not have rubber caps over them. Mine did not have the rubber caps because they probably fell off sometime during the life of the car.
Use your ratchet and loosen the stock caliper guide pins and pull them out. You will not be reusing the stock caliper guide pins, but don't throw them away because you never know when you may need them later.

5. At this point you can just pry off your stock brake caliper using a flathead screwdriver. You can set the caliper on top of your brake rotor temporarily, but I recommend using a wire coat hanger or some rope to support the caliper so it doesn't hang. If you let the caliper hang you may damage the brake lines.

6. If you didn't remove the inner brake pad before hanging the caliper do so at this time. You can pull the inner brake pad out of the piston with little effot.
7. Next grab your needle nose pliers and remove the stock brake caliper bushings from the caliper. You can push them or pull them out. Chances are they will be so dry-rotted that it won't take much effort at all to get them out.

Here is a pic of the dry-rotted stock bushings next to the Tyrolsport bushings:

8. Now it's time to start installing the new parts. Grab 2 of your bronze bushings from the Tyrolsport kit and slide them through the caliper. The flared end of each bushing should be facing the fender well. The snap rings will be installed on the inside face of the caliper. Here is a pic of the bushings in the caliper. (No snap rings yet).

9. This was the hardest step of the install for me. Tyrolsport says use snap ring pliers to install the snap rings, but most average DIYers(like myself) don't have snap ring pliers so I had to improvise. What I did was take my needle nose pliers and stick them inside one of the snap rings. I used the pliers to open up the snap ring about 1/8 of an inch so that I could guide them over the bronze bushings with not too much trouble. After I snapped each ring on I would take the needle nose pliers and pinch the opening on each ring to snug them up. Here is a pic of the snap rings installed.

10. Now that your new bushings are in place you can pop the inner brake pad back onto the piston and slide your brake caliper back onto the carrier.

11. Take 2 of your new brake caliper guide pins and use the supplied synthetic grease to lube the pins. I also squirted a little grease on the inside of the bronze bushings as well.

12. Insert the pins through the new bushings and torque them to 22 ft/lbs. This is why I think it is important to have a torque wrench because you don't want to strip your threads. 22 ft/lbs is the same torque that you use on your spark plugs for comparison. It is not a lot of pressure.

13. Push the stock retaining clips back into the holes. I usually use the blunt end of a screwdriver to smack them back into the holes.

Congratulations! You have successfully installed your new brake caliper stiffening kit. I would rate this install about a 5.5 in terms of difficulty. It was one of the easiest and cheapest mods I have done. I noticed animmediate reduction in brake noise. I have better pedal feel during hard braking and I now know that my pads are actually seating evenly on the rotors unlike before with the stock bushings. Before this kit my brakes squealed like an 18 wheeler and I could not figure out why. Now I know that my pads must not have been seating properly on the rotors probably due to dust buildup and old worn out bushings. I am really satisfied with the craftsmanship of the Tyrolsport pieces and the ease of install. The result was better than I expected.
You can read more about the mechanics behind the kit on the Tyrolsport website: http://tyrolsport.com/Install%...1.pdf

Modified by formerly silveratljetta at 6:07 PM 11-7-2007

Modified by formerly silveratljetta at 6:08 PM 11-7-2007

Modified by formerly silveratljetta at 6:09 PM 11-7-2007

Modified by formerly silveratljetta at 8:01 PM 11-7-2007

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: DIY: Tyrolsport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit (shawshank2)

I just did a full brake job w/ SS lines and HAWK HPS pads w/ ATE Fluid. This sounds like it would be an awesome addition and completion to a great set of brakes.
Easy install too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#5 ·
Re: DIY: Tyrolsport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit (AE_3893)

Quote, originally posted by AE_3893 »
I just did a full brake job w/ SS lines and HAWK HPS pads w/ ATE Fluid. This sounds like it would be an awesome addition and completion to a great set of brakes.
Easy install too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

yeah I did stainless lines and pentosin racing fluid on the same day. I haven't made the DIY for the brake fluid flush yet, but I will later this week.
Hopefully you didn't use ATE super blue. If you did I would flush it all out asap.

#8 ·
Re: DIY: Tyrolsport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit (moacur)

Quote, originally posted by moacur »
Very nice write up man. Kudos http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Like I said in your build thread. I have heard nothing but good things about the stiffening kits.

I'm glad I went with the brake stuff instead of spending $300 on the headunit. Definitely better to do the brakes. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·
Re: DIY: Tyrolsport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit (formerly silveratljetta)

could you supply a link to the parts you used at the top of the thread please?

#11 ·
Re: DIY: Tyrolsport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit (formerly silveratljetta)

Quote, originally posted by formerly silveratljetta »

http://tyrolsport.com/vwperformance.htm

thanks for helpin the lazy

#15 ·
I gotta say that after doing this mod a few months ago I've seen no difference. This may truly be one of those things only a true auto-x'er might get a benefit from.
Actualy, it's made my brakes noisy, when going over small bumps now I get a small rattle sound unless I put tons of grease on the bolts and guides, but then that only helps for a while.
Plus now I need to grease the things at least every oil change.

#16 ·
Re: (dremhmrk2)

I went with the tyrolsport pins, Hawk HPS pads, brembo replacement rotors and fluid flush with ATE superblue all at once this past summer. So it's had to say what the tyrolsport pins contributed to the mix, but the result was a bunch more stopping power than the old stockers, and a much firmer pedal that is easier to modulate. Someone needs to do a full brake job first, test it out, and then do the tyrolsport pins and report back

#17 ·

Quote, originally posted by dremhmrk2 »
I gotta say that after doing this mod a few months ago I've seen no difference. This may truly be one of those things only a true auto-x'er might get a benefit from.
Actualy, it's made my brakes noisy, when going over small bumps now I get a small rattle sound unless I put tons of grease on the bolts and guides, but then that only helps for a while.
Plus now I need to grease the things at least every oil change.

the pins will have to be relubed every once in awhile. Certainly not every oil change. If you are using any kind of aftermarket pad I would expect some noise when you are creeping along such as when parking etc.
Also if you are saying that you are getting a rattle going over bumps, that certainly isn't coming from your brakes. It sounds like you need to check your suspension components.

#18 ·
Re: (formerly silveratljetta)

Also if you are saying that you are getting a rattle going over bumps, that certainly isn't coming from your brakes. It sounds like you need to check your suspension components.

Believe me, I know the sounds of my car, I've been going through hell with it, and I was trying to fix a certain other sound and in the process swapped in the tyrolsport kit. Now I have a slight rattling over small bumps. The sound goes away if I even barely touch the brakes.
It's the pins. Even replaced pads and after regreasing sound goes away for a few days.

#19 ·

That price is outrageous for what you're getting.
I know the bushings and guide shafts are probably custom, but damn. I'm sure if somebody is decent at searching some kind of industrial supply company will carry that size brass bushing and some kind of threaded rod like that.

#20 ·

Believe me, I know the sounds of my car, I've been going through hell with it, and I was trying to fix a certain other sound and in the process swapped in the tyrolsport kit. Now I have a slight rattling over small bumps. The sound goes away if I even barely touch the brakes.
It's the pins. Even replaced pads and after regreasing sound goes away for a few days.

How would the pins be rattling? They are screwed into the caliper carrier and the tolerances for the pins between the bushings is nothing. There is no way the pins are "rattling" around. If they are screwed into the carrier then they are secured in place.

#21 ·

How would the pins be rattling? They are screwed into the caliper carrier and the tolerances for the pins between the bushings is nothing. There is no way the pins are "rattling" around. If they are screwed into the carrier then they are secured in place.

Not true, there is just enough tolerance to allow them to move inside the bronze sleeves just the tiniest amount
If there wasnt they wouldnt be able to move in and out as the pads wear

Modified by dremhmrk2 at 4:33 PM 11-8-2007

#22 ·

Not true, there is just enough tolerance to allow them to move inside the bronze sleeves just the tiniest amount
If there wasnt they wouldnt be able to move in and out as the pads wear

Modified by dremhmrk2 at 4:33 PM 11-8-2007

Yeah there is a small tolerance because the pins are constantly sliding back and forth when you slam on the brakes because the caliper rides on those pins.
If you are really concerned I would call tyrolsport and talk to them. See if they have had issues in the past.

#23 ·
Try grabbing your caliper and jiggling it, you'll hear it.

#24 ·

Yeah there is a small tolerance because the pins are constantly sliding back and forth when you slam on the brakes because the caliper rides on those pins.
If you are really concerned I would call tyrolsport and talk to them. See if they have had issues in the past.

it's not a "not functioning" issue, it's just the sound they make, the rubber was there to specificly prevent these noises.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.