VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 849 Posts

· Registered
478 Posts
Words cannot describe..
Best DIY, ever?

Thank you so much for putting down the effort to get this done and help others. If I do this sometime soon, I'm going to pay you for the kit (which I assume is slightly marked up?) to reward you.

One thing though, I was hoping there would be some kind of panoramic shot of the engine bay from above to show the difference in the completed product.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Words cannot describe..
Best DIY, ever?

Thank you so much for putting down the effort to get this done and help others. If I do this sometime soon, I'm going to pay you for the kit (which I assume is slightly marked up?) to reward you.

One thing though, I was hoping there would be some kind of panoramic shot of the engine bay from above to show the difference in the completed product.
Yes the kits are slightly marked up, but not by a whole lot. I have 2 left of the first batch and may do more if people want them. I will get the shot for you this weekend.

mad nice. good write up. what codes am i going to get for this? will improper flow dick with my CEL?

Depends, if you dont have software to delete the CAT, you will prob get one for that, and you may or may not get the one for improper flow for the EVAP flow regulator.

Good write up :thumbup: …… but change that valve cover gasket it’s a strait forward and simple job

Already changed, my car is the one with the blue TIP :thumbup:

· Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Is the engine noticeably free-er to work in? Im doing some turbo work and nothing pisses me off more so than these stupid vacuum lines (mainly the ones on the drivers side of the block that you have to snake the oil feed line around)

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the pics! Is the engine noticeably free-er to work in? Im doing some turbo work and nothing pisses me off more so than these stupid vacuum lines (mainly the ones on the drivers side of the block that you have to snake the oil feed line around)
Honestly, working in the bay has become noticeably easier. Things are alot easier to get to, and leasks are easier to pinpoint.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Great writeup, but that rusty brown looking coolant coming out in some of the pics doesn't look so good.

Yeah, that wasn't my car though. The car had a auto to manual tranny swap and the guy who did it capped off the hardline to coolant neck ports, so im not sure if that led to the nastyness. I fixed that for him when we did the install, you can see the handywork of elbows, clamps, and small hose bits.

· Registered
1,572 Posts
How did you get the 3/4 heater hose over the valve cover pcv outlet. I tryed heating it up/lube it just won't go. :mad:

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
How did you get the 3/4 heater hose over the valve cover pcv outlet. I tryed heating it up/lube it just won't go. :mad:
It goes on, you just gotta work it. Out of the 2 I have done, it really only took me a couple of seconds to pop it on. Perhaps you broke off the reducer/checkvalve like I did in the pic with it wrapped in electrical tape?

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That was probably the best DIY I've seen to date. My only question is, does it directly apply to an 2002 Audi TT 225Q? I believe it has a different engine code even though it is very similar.
What would be different?
Thanks!
I can't tell you 100% This DIY was done on a AWP and AWD motor. The hose routing is pretty much universal. How and what to remove varies with each car.

· Registered
6,710 Posts
I just did it earlier this week and I have an AWW engine. It is very close minus a few vac. ports.

I am sure that these engines will be very similar. I would cap off the extra ports that still hold vac. and run everything straight to the manifold.

I like the difference that I am seeing in my car now. I didn't realize that I had some lines that were busted underneath my intake manifold causing vac. leaks and it a bit messy underneath from some oil coming out.

Thanks for an amazing write up!! It really helped.:beer:

· Registered
1,572 Posts
the one going to the valve cover will not go on with 3/4ths heater I even tryed warming it up.

21 - 40 of 849 Posts