VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
841 - 849 of 849 Posts

· Registered
1,312 Posts
so I did this entire delete, but I ran into issues when i was trying to mount my catch can, so I decided to just not include it. After I sealed all of my boost leaks (MAP sensor was ****ed and Dipstick wasnt on properly) the fuel trim shot up (P1128) and I started to burn oil. How important was that catch can? I can’t really put it anywhere In the engine bay comfortably so should I just return to the stock PCV setup? I also don’t understand how it even works. Is it supposed to create a vacuum in the crankcase? Or not? Why does sealing the system with just hoses ruin it? I’m utterly confused by the system.
A catch can isn't going to make that kind of difference. I would check the routing on everything to ensure connections and your routing of hoses is correct.

· Registered
2,033 Posts
so I did this entire delete, but I ran into issues when i was trying to mount my catch can, so I decided to just not include it. After I sealed all of my boost leaks (MAP sensor was ****ed and Dipstick wasnt on properly) the fuel trim shot up (P1128) and I started to burn oil. How important was that catch can? I can’t really put it anywhere In the engine bay comfortably so should I just return to the stock PCV setup? I also don’t understand how it even works. Is it supposed to create a vacuum in the crankcase? Or not? Why does sealing the system with just hoses ruin it? I’m utterly confused by the system.
Do you have a check valve in the system?

You can delete the PCV system without a catch can, I did it to pass SMOG (install, drive 10 min and back 10 min). Car drove perfectly fine...

I drove with the PCV system deleted as if I were running a catch can, but without the catch can. So all that crap was dumping right into my intake but it was only a 20 min drive of feathering the throttle...

Is your N249 still plugged in electronically? Unplugging the N249 electronically will mess up the fuel trims

· Registered
263 Posts

Gold Engine bay: with a battery relocate, mounted up from for atmospheric venting from headlight velocity stack.

But if your battery is in the engine bay, make a small “L” bracket and mount to the bottom battery tray. Still have adequate ventilation for the atmospheric filter from the front grill passage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
263 Posts

Gold Engine bay: with a battery relocate, mounted up from for atmospheric venting from headlight velocity stack.

But if your battery is in the engine bay, make a small “L” bracket and mount to the bottom battery tray. Still have adequate ventilation for the atmospheric filter from the front grill passage.

· Registered
749 Posts
Having an issue with high crankcase pressure (dancing oil cap) with this installed:

Should I just pull the VTA filter and route it into the TIP with a check valve?

Also, will be swapping to a GT28RS in the very near future, so I'm also looking to get everything properly plumbed once the TIP is gone.

841 - 849 of 849 Posts