VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Re: DIY: VW iPod adapter install instructions. (thread)

Help!
Ok I followed those crazy intstructions. My ipod gets the vw logo, but my headunit says "no external cd" when I double click on the "CD" button on the head unit. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Re: DIY: VW iPod adapter install instructions. (dieselgirl)

Ok. With a little help from the expert Dean F. (thank you very much), the Ipod works. The instructions are bunk when it comes to the grounding of the brown wire from the Ipod harness to the stereo harness. The rest was ok.
Before and After (Ipod lives in the airconditioned glove box)

I removed the glove box first. There are other threads that explain this, I think. But in addittion to the visible torx screws, there were a lot of hidden fasteners behind various trim pieces. This was a little tricky because some of the trim was a snap fit and other pieces were screwed in.

this part (below) pops off after the fastener under the radio (above the ashtray) is removed.

This next picture (below) shows the tape that I poked a slit through and fed the ipod cable that connects to the ipod. This is the top of the glove box unit, once removed. I found a handy sturctural brace above the glovebox void in the dash on which I sat the ipod black box and secured it with a rip-wire-tie. It was a bit of a trick to put the glove box back in because of the airconditioning hose and connector that keep the glovebox cool, it was very snug (the hose), but pliable and just a little muscle and frustration put it all back togehter.

I removed a the head unit. There is a thread that shows how to do this. This was much easier to remove than the glove box. Basically, you start at the center diffuser and work top down.

When the radio / headunit is out, it is easy to fish the ipod harness to the black box (mount the black box after you fish the harness down.
The hard part on the ipod-harness-to-radio-harness installation (I had Type II, from the instructions) was figuring out where to splice the brown wire from the ipod harness and connect it to the radio harness. This is where I needed expert help. I have a picture coming showing the proper splice.
good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: DIY: VW iPod adapter install instructions. (thread)

i did this iPod adapter aswell.. and i honestly sat and read and reread the bs instructions that come with it, i thought i was going crazy. the only thing that i dont like about it is that i cant play cd's anymore (not to mention get the cd's out that i left in there.. oops), i want to figure out a way to wire in a switch so i could go back and forth.. anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: DIY: VW iPod adapter install instructions. (iThread)

Here are links to the OEM iPod Adapter (English) install and operation instructions.
Please note that on the install instructions the only diagrams provided are on pages 2-4. which is in German. Just use the English instructions on pages 12-14 to follow along with the diagrams.
The operation instructions, just follow pages 7-11.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bommpgdygjf > Install Manual

http://www.mediafire.com/?oyajgbm0ssz > Operations Manual

·
Registered
742 Posts
Re: DIY: VW iPod adapter install instructions. (iThread)

This is a total dog $hit useless manual. They should fire the dumb F_ck at VW who wrote this. After I figure it out. i try to post some instructions for an MK4 the people can understand

Modified by totheMax at 10:43 PM 9-26-2009

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Re: DIY: VW iPod adapter install instructions. (L-man)

Quote, originally posted by L-man »
i did this iPod adapter aswell.. and i honestly sat and read and reread the bs instructions that come with it, i thought i was going crazy. the only thing that i dont like about it is that i cant play cd's anymore (not to mention get the cd's out that i left in there.. oops), i want to figure out a way to wire in a switch so i could go back and forth.. anyone have any ideas??

Do exactly what you said. Wire a switch up for a connecetion like this. Shouldn't be too hard with a single input/two output switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.