VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally finished the install... I was waiting on some parts for the support, but turns out they were N/A. Anyways its not the best write up, was too excited to get it done and not stop to take pictures but I think it should do.
5x7 Hella projectors from ECS, they are ment to fit a MKI so they will need to go under the knife.
Here is how they look out of the box before cutting

Some pictures aren't the best...
Stock sealed headlight and setup

Now for the projectors, the black plastic mounts need to come off. The pivote points can come out with pliers.

After the mounting frames are off, the light grey tabs that the black plastic frames were held onto need to be cut off. As you can see the chrome frames that hold the headlight in place before will be used the same way for the holding the projectors. That way they can still be taken out, aimed, and that OEM Plus look to them.

You can see that the metal tabs need more room to be able to sit flush around the projector. Also the plastic tabs are in the way of the headlight buckets, when installed.

Next is to cut out the holding buckets. As you can see the back of the projector is almost or about the same size (5 inches to be exact). What I did was cut out where the circle is, since its the diameter of the back of the projector.

After that is done, the same thing will need to be done to radiator support. The seperate headlight buckets sit on top the radiator support buckets and the depth of the projectors will hit the radiator support buckets, so these need to be cut out also.

Then some nice flat black paint over the bare metal from cutting

Now everything can be put back together. Don't do what I did and lose one of the clips for mounting and aiming the headlight bucket. I did how ever find it much later on... I had mounted the projectors in the radiator support before I had mounted it to the car. Its much easier and plus too it will allow you to see if there is any clearance issues.

The Hella projectors take H1 series bulbs. I decided to spend alittle more and buy the H1 HIDs from VVME.com, they were under $80 shipped. The bulbs are 8000K, they have a hint of blue to them, almost like factory xenons but with a little more blue hue. Regular H1 halegon bulbs will work out just find, but why not thow some HIDs in.

Hooking up the HIDs to the headlight wiring harness is really easy. Know because I swapped motors from a 90' Jetta GLI, the headlight positive wire was solid yellow and the ground was brown. It will be different if you are still using the stock wiring harness. Yellow headlight wire to blue wire from HID and brown headlight wire to black wire from HID. There won't be any high beams, so all I did was cap the end off with heat shrink to protect it just incase I might want to add more lights later on.
The final results...

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Re: DIY Westy Projectors (vwtoys)

nice DIY

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Re: DIY Westy Projectors (91_Golf)

Quote, originally posted by 91_Golf »
nice write the look really good where did you get the projectors from

ECS tuning has them.. look under mk1 lighting http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (Lumis_Wolfy)

Quote, originally posted by Lumis_Wolfy »
Nice DIY! now make sure you laminx those expensive ****ers. they look good!

I will, its still ****ty weather out so won't be driving it in salty crap. But I am working on getting laminx for them asap...
And yes I will get night pictures, but I won't beable to until I finish my brother in laws fiberglass sub box, his car is blocking mine form getting out.
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Re: (FastestDubOnBlock)

Very cool. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
EDIT to PEOPLE that have these: Does it look like you can open them up and smoke the buckets on the inside since they are a projector and don't need the reflector?

Modified by jervwgti at 10:25 PM 3-17-2008

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Sweet, added to the DIY thread.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: (jervwgti)

Quote, originally posted by jervwgti »
Does it look like you can open them up and smoke the buckets on the inside since they are a projector and don't need the reflector?

that was the first thing i thought. They would look great smoked, ATM they look a little crazy eyed like this -->

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (jervwgti)

It wouldn't be worth the time or effort to take them apart. Because they are projectors meaning there is no reflectors in the headlights. So if one was to paint the inside it wouldn't do much other than look black from close up looking inside on the edges that could be painted. I was thinking the same thing, but I will look closer into it.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FastestDubOnBlock »
It wouldn't be worth the time or effort to take them apart. Because they are projectors meaning there is no reflectors in the headlights. So if one was to paint the inside it wouldn't do much other than look black from close up looking inside on the edges that could be painted. I was thinking the same thing, but I will look closer into it.

it would be pretty night and day.
all that silver would look like the actual projector section of the light.
would look pretty slick http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

not that i would do it (especially at what they cost), but it would look very different.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts

Damn it now I want to smoke them....

I am going to go out to the garage and see if its worth the time and effort...

if your gonna do projectors.
you might as well ball hard.

just because ive never seen it, id like to see what it would look like.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote, originally posted by Lumis_Wolfy »

if your gonna do projectors.
you might as well ball hard.

just because ive never seen it, id like to see what it would look like.

Well considering I already spent little over $300 just on the projectors and not including the HIDs, I would hate to have to trash them if the lenses crack or if something goes south. But I guess I would be the first to do it

·
Registered
9,193 Posts

Well considering I already spent little over $300 just on the projectors and not including the HIDs, I would hate to have to trash them if the lenses crack or if something goes south. But I guess I would be the first to do it
lmao
well, you could always run crystal clear lenses off some ebay cheapies, **** thats almost what I would swap to just to keep the hella ones pit-free.
as long as you take your time and make sure all the glue is evenly gummy before you tear em apart your golden. Ive done it with fogs about 4 times.. i broke one, but it was already chipped.
in all honesty that glass doesnt seem to be doing much anything as far as beam pattern goes

post if ya do it! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Haha, ya but then they look cheap and don't say Hella and have the cool reflective lenses... I really like the way they are now, I might have to have them Pchoped before I do them if I do.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts