VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Credits to Eric (SVTWEB) for inspiration and advices and Blake at carparts4sale.com for selling the whole kit.
Standard disclaimer: This document is for informational purposes only. Neither the author nor this site will be held liable for actions taken resulting from the information set forth herein.
Lil' background before we start:
There are two types of window trim: chrome (standard in Jetta) and black (Value Edition, GLI and trim S). Rabbit/GTI comes with black trim only. In addition the pillar trims comes in two options: glossy and satin. In my '06 there were glossy pillars with chrome trim, but recently I saw satin ones.
Tools:
1. Torx T20 (long one)
2. Torx T30
3. Tiny Flat screwdriver
4. Medium Flat screwdriver (or two)
5. Combination of M5 bolt and some small (5/16" AFAIR) bit to build a puller
Parts required:
1. Upper window trims
2. Door skin window trims
3. Pillar trims and rear doors window dividers (optional)
Steps:
1. Removing door skins
2. Removing windows
3. Removing interior door trim
4. Removing mirror/pillar trim/window divider
5. Removing window trim
Preparation: fully open the windows, do not disconnect the battery.
1. Removing door skins
1a. Pull the black trim at the side on the doors, starting from the bottom.

Under you can find a sticker covering the bolt to remove the handle (blue arrow), black trim clips (green arrow) and door skin bolts (white arrow).

1b. Install the clips back on the trim.

1c. Remove the sticker.

1d. Pull the handle and unbolt the lock (Torx T20). Make sure the bolt is still inside the tread, so it will not fall down.

1e. Remove the lock (driver's doors) / cover (all other doors)

1f. Pry the clip from the handle. During installation make sure it clicks.

Here is the unclipped handle.

1g. Pull the handle back and out.

1h. Unbolt the handle support (Torx T20) and unlock two clips

1i. Remove the door skin bolts (Torx T30). They are all around the lower part of the doors. I always removed the bottom ones at first, and then front and rear ones, leaving top ones as the last ones, so that the skin does not fall down.

IMPORTANT: There are 3 different types of bolts and they cannot be swapped without damaging anything. Make sure you have the bolts matched to the holes. I have arranged them in order:
Front doors:

Rear doors (one of the bolts is under the grommet in the front part of the doors):

Once the bolts are out, the skin can be removed. Put it aside.
2. Removing windows
2a. Fully lower the windows

Front doors:
2b. Unbolt two bolts (Torx T30)

2c. Pull up rear part of the glass and put it aside

Front doors:
2d. Using the M5 bolt and the 5/16" bit make a simple puller for the internal part of the rear window clip. The external can be easily pulled out once the internal is removed. Make sure there is not pressure on the glass.

Released glass (removed clip).

2e. Pull up front part of the glass and put it aside.

3. Removing interior door trim
This is one of the clips that holds the interior trim in place (view from the door skin side).

3a. Press the clips to release them. Some of them are hard to get, so do not bother. Releasing just some of them will make the whole trim removal easier.

3b. Remove the bolts holding the trim at the bottom (Torx T20): 3 in front doors and 1 in the rear doors.

3c. Remove the bolt holding the trim to the tweeter (Torx T20): front doors only.

3d. Pry out the door handle. In case of driver's door, pry up the top part with the switches and disconnect the switches.

3e. Remove the bolts holding the handle to the doors (Torx T30).

3f. Pull out the door trim from the bottom. Once all the bottom is detached, pull up the trim to detach it at the window line. Make sure the clips that were left in the doors are attached back to the trim before re-installation.

3g. Disconnect the internal handle line cover: pull out and slide back.

3h. Unhook the internal handle line.

3i. Disconnect all the plugs between doors and the trim: usually speakers, switches, lower door lights etc.

Doors from inside (trim removed).

Doors from outside (skin removed).

4. Removing mirror/pillar trim/window divider
4a. Remove mirror trim bolt (Torx T20).

4b. Disconnect the mirror plug at the door controller.

4c. Pull out the mirror cable from the retainers (two of them need to be unclipped from the doors).

4d. Disconnect the tweeter plug.

4e. Pry out the mirror trim.

4f. Remove the sticker covering the mirror bolt.

4g. Remove the mirror bolt (Torx T30).

4h. Remove the plastic cap covering the mirror bolt.

4i. Remove another mirror bolt (Torx T30).

4j. Remove last mirror bolt (Torx T30).

4k. Remove the mirror.

4l. Pull out the window guide at the pillar cover. Remove 2 bolts Torx T20 to remove the pillar covers.

4m. Remove the lower window divider bolt (Torx T30).

4n. Remove the middle window divider bolt (Torx T30).

4o. Remove the top window divider bolt (Torx T20).

4p. Pull out the window guide from the window divider.

4q. Remove the window divider.

4r. Pull out the window guide and remove the rear window.

5. Removing window trim
5a. Front doors - remove the expandable plastic rivet that keeps the chrome trim to the doors. Just push the internal part out. Make sure you do not loose it. Once removed pull out the rivet. This rivet is only in the chrome trim. I have not found it in the black trim, but you can try.

5b. Front doors - pull out the trim. There is no need to remove the chrome first.

5c. Rear doors - under the rear glass there is a clip. The easiest way to remove it is to reach under the window trim and push it from both sides.

5d. Rear doors - remove the expandable plastic rivet that keeps the chrome trim to the doors. See the discussion above.

5e. Door skins - remove the expandable rivets that hold the window trim to the door skin. The best way is to use two flat screwdrivers.

Installation in reverse order. Take your time when installing the window trims back. Make sure the window guides are properly back in place.

Modified by maloosheck at 2:17 PM 7-5-2008

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: DIY: Window Trim Swap (NSmkVGLI)

Quote, originally posted by NSmkVGLI »
i don't get it, what's the point of this? any before and after pictures?

I swapped the standard Jetta chrome window trim for the black GLI/Value Edition one. I did not have a chance to take any shots with the new trim yet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: DIY: Window Trim Swap (maloosheck)

Quote, originally posted by maloosheck »

I swapped the standard Jetta chrome window trim for the black GLI/Value Edition one. I did not have a chance to take any shots with the new trim yet.

OH ok ok, gotcha!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: DIY: Window Trim Swap (maloosheck)

Quote, originally posted by maloosheck »

I've been thinking about doing this since I got the car. After seeing this DIY, it looks like way too much of a PITAS.

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
Re: DIY: Window Trim Swap (stonersmurf)

Quote, originally posted by stonersmurf »

I've been thinking about doing this since I got the car. After seeing this DIY, it looks like way too much of a PITAS.

Sometimes I think maloosheck is a masochist.
He picks the hardest retrofits you could possibly do and does them.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: DIY: Window Trim Swap (Slipstream)

Quote, originally posted by Slipstream »

Wait for the incoming ones

Seriously, it might look like PITA and it is with the first doors. Once you catch it, you could do it every other weekend

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Re: DIY: Window Trim Swap (Slipstream)

Quote, originally posted by Slipstream »

I agree. I'm still awaiting a 4motion conversion

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
wow... looooong time...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.