VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been experiencing this issue since I got my 2008 GLI in July of 2009. It has gotten worse over time. I have attempted to have the issue fixed under warranty through Volkswagen, but to no avail.

I have had the following replaced by Volkswagen; wiper motor/transmission/linkage, wiper arms, and wiper blades.

After my third visit, I "Googled" the issue in hopes of an answer. I did find some answers from Australia, which has helped me solve my issue and write this DIY.

The Issue:

While using the wipers, in any speed, the arms and blades will jump and shutter across the windshield. Sometimes this happens going up, sometimes when going down, and sometimes both.

Not my car or video...but same issue. Turn volume up to hear the stutter.

The Cause:

The spacing on the channel on the wiper arm sometimes has just a hair too much of a gap when the wiper is inserted. This allows the wiper to not only rotate normally, but to wiggle side to side. The side to side motion is what causes the arm to shutter.

The Fix:

Adding a shim in the channels will tighten up the wiper blade when installed.

Tools Needed:

- Electrical tape
- Scissors
- Clean rag

The Process:

- Step 1: Place your wipers into service mode. This is done by turning you ignition on, then off, and without removing the key, bumping the wiper stalk down.

DSC_0145 by santorum, on Flickr

- Step 2: Raise wiper arms off of the windshield.

DSC_0151 by santorum, on Flickr

- Step 3: Remove wiper blades from arms.

DSC_0146 by santorum, on Flickr

- Step 4: Make sure wiper blade channel is clean so the electrical tape will adhere to the surface.

DSC_0147 by santorum, on Flickr

- Step 5: Cut a small piece of electrical tape to fit in the side parts of the channel. * NOTE; you may only need to put a piece of tape on one side of the channel. Before doing both sides, check the fitment of the wiper blade. You want the blade to fit snug, but still needs to be able to pivot.

DSC_0148 by santorum, on Flickr

DSC_0149 by santorum, on Flickr

- Step 6: Install wiper blades.

DSC_0150 by santorum, on Flickr

- Step 7: Place wiper arms back onto windshield.

DSC_0145 by santorum, on Flickr

- Step 8: Take wipers out of service mode by turning on the ignition, and bumping the wiper stalk up one click.

---

I hope this is a help to all on here. This has been a frustrating issue for me and I know there are others out there with this issue. Please note that all DIY rules apply and I am not responsible for any damages to your car. I have had this fix done to my GLI For almost two months with no stuttering issues thus far. My wife's R32 has never done the stutter, but I did add one piece of tape to her channels to ensure it doesn't happen. My GLI required two pieces per arm.

:beer:

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
i approve this thread :snowcool:

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Must be an '08 (GLI) issue.

No trouble on my 05.5 TDI.
It's hit or miss. My friend has a 2008 Rabbit with the same issue and another friend has a 2006 GTI with the issue on one wiper arm. But my wife's old 2008 GTI didn't do it and her 2008 R32 doesn't do it.

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
Never had an issue with this. Funny the dealer wasted all that time and money when all it took was a piece of tape used as a shim. :beer:

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never had an issue with this. Funny the dealer wasted all that time and money when all it took was a piece of tape used as a shim. :beer:
In their defense, they did replace things I thought may have been the issue as well. When the linkage didn't solve anything, I knew something was up.

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
helped me out!
thanks brobro
It did? Great to hear. What is funny, is that I know this issue is more common than what is on the internet. Many results show issues on the MkIV's. the MkV issues I found were due to Rain-x.

Hopefully this gets out there so people don't have to go through what I did with the dealership. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
yessir, read your other thread posted and thought i was the only one who noticed a rattle.
i've actually got a bad wheel bearing and i can still hear the chatter from my wipers.
you're right, hopefully this helps others :thumbup:

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
If you dont want to use electrical tape as a shim, you can simply put pliers on the wiper arm mount a squeeze it closed a bit. I just tweeked mine a bit and they are good now.
I didn't see this before. This is true, however, you then have them at an angle. The tape ensures a straight even fitment.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.