VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to be doing a huge overhaul on my car, more than likely will be working alone, driveline and engine pull. I've always been paranoid being under there even with tons of jack stands and floor jacks creeped, including metal ramps(looked into the racing ramps-too much at this point).

Is it ideological to make wood ramps? I've seen some "horrible" wood car ramp designs on Google, but I was considering making a set out of 2x10", similar to this.

Any ALL response is thanked.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
i had a set something like the one in that photo for along time back in the day. i did end up adding some rubber to the bottom so they wouldn't slide around on the ground as i pulled onto them. not the best looking tool but honestly they were safe and cheap. if your car sits low these are nice as you can make each run poke out further from the next so you don't drag going up the ramps.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
I have a set just like the original picture. I have been using them for close to 7 years at this point and have not had an issue.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made a set, working on pulling my subaru engine out.

I'll try and get some pictures up. Glad I made them, there only 3 planks thick two, plenty of room.

Will defiantly use them when I pull the VR6 engine too later next year.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Title made me think of this pic I found on the net years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts