VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Someone has just given me a mk2 gli because they do not want to deal with the CIS system anymore. They were told they needed their fuel distributor replaced. If i purchased a direct replacement can i just put that on the car or is there anything else i need to know when replacing the unit as a whole? Thanks

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
CIS is a very simple fuel system and extremely reliable. It does not like water and does not like to sit for long periods of time.

You really need to know your way around CIS before you dive into it. Most people want a fast answer for cheap. They have no time to do it right. That is why they get a bad rap. First you need to read up how it works. Then you need to have a fuel pressure gauge. If you cannot afford the time or money on that, then it's best not to get started. Going into it blind causes the next guy to give up even sooner.

Could a new one be installed? Sure. Will there need to be adjustments made to get it running? Typically. Do fuel distributors get blamed for most every problem with CIS? Yes. Do they fix most of those problems? No.

Smoke test the intake system. Make certain there are no vacuum leaks. Make certain the fuel pressures are right. Make certain the current to the DPR is correct.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts