VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
25,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a set of DLI engine mounts from Sweden. They arrived on Monday, and I installed them last night.

I must admit that I was concerned when I placed the order because Dave had told me that the mounts were being re-designed and there would no longer be a street / race option. There was now only one type and he said they were the same stiffness as the old race.

To put things in perspective, in my old playcar (mk2 16v) I had stiff poly rear and trans mounts and a solid aluminum front mount. I wanted to keep the .:R civilized.

Over the years I have read with consistency that the VF mounts cause increased vibration and noise. Enough so that a couple people actually took them out and went back to stock! SO yea, I was nervous..

I was pleasantly surprised, no scratch that. I was shocked! I started the car last night after install and drove it 20 minutes to the liqueur store and back.

There is zero increased vibration. There is zero increased noise.

I couldn't/can't believe it. This is fantastic! The motor moves less upon throttle accel & decel which is what I wanted, but with apparently no downside or compromise.

*Disclaimer*- Little things such as cam choice, idle RPM, headers, exhaust..all have an effect on vibration/frequency. You results may be different (but I doubt it.) ;)

My exhaust is actually quieter than stock with the flapper open, and I am pretty perceptive so if there was a new noise or vibration I would have noticed.

You guys know me, if I had a problem with these mounts or did not like them for any reason I would certainly say so! I'm adding them to the list of things I should have done sooner. :thumbup:

Here are some pics from the install.

Mounts

Yes they look the same at first glance.. but upon examination the holes are in different locations and the ears are different sizes.

One thing I hadn't noticed from the earlier pictures is that the spring is secured in place top and bottom by metal perches that stop it from rotating. Nice.

After you remove your airbox, you will see the stock mount sitting there. (Don't forget to support the trans underneath with a jack)

Don't miss this sneaky bolt hidden under the wires.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Old mount out.

New mount going in.

I then did the other side.. but it was getting dark so I stopped the pictures after moving the coolant bottle out of the way, and just knocked it out.

It is a straight forward job that can be done in a parking lot with simple hand tools.

Off the top of my head-

• Jack for supporting engine. (do each side seperate- oilpan for engine side, under trans for trans side)
  • T25 torx for coolant reservoir
  • 6mm allen socket
  • 8mm allen socket
  • 13mm hex socket
  • 16mm hex socket
  • 18mm hex socket
  • assorted ratchets & extensions
  • Channel locks (for intake hose clamps)
  • Cold Beer :beer:

I don't think I am forgetting anything.

These really are a no brainer. Easy enough install, no break in period, should never wear out. No noise, no vibration. Good times. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Looks like a quality product. :thumbup:

Any idea what is the material inside the spring is made of?

I presume that piece acts as the damper for the spring action?

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Hey how much are these? or do you have a link to them. When i get back from Afghanistan i am doing my Chains and i need to swap out the clutch and perhaps cams while im there. Currently im borrowing Motor Mounts. So ill need a set.

Thanks in advance David L/Josh

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
oh wow, lol . Ehh i mean if its a good product u cant really go wrong. The R32 has deff taught me to not go cheap with parts. ESP when its vital to the cars operation. If Josh Says its good, then its gotta be good.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Well, I just ordered some(I think) and it was only 2800 Sek, or $357.54. There was no place to enter billing information and the english tutorial on ordering made it seem like they will contact me via email to finalize billing and shipping. Does that sound right to anyone who has already ordered them?

And even if they are $500+, so? According to Josh, there are no better mounts for this car. You bought a $30,000 car and you care about an extra $100 bucks for the best parts?:screwy:

Can't wait to get these in the car!:beer:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
:thumbup: Thanks PowerDubs!

·
Registered
971 Posts
500 dollars for mounts is a little to pricey for me. 500 dollars for something else, maybe not. Either way they seem to be a good product, have fun with the mounts, if you guys setup a group buy id be down.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, I just ordered some(I think) and it was only 2800 Sek, or $357.54. There was no place to enter billing information and the english tutorial on ordering made it seem like they will contact me via email to finalize billing and shipping. Does that sound right to anyone who has already ordered them?

And even if they are $500+, so? According to Josh, there are no better mounts for this car. You bought a $30,000 car and you care about an extra $100 bucks for the best parts?:screwy:

Can't wait to get these in the car!:beer:
That is correct. We have to add shipping price for each order outside Sweden so a bill will be sent by email. You´ll have one first thing in the morning.

As for prices. All customers outside of Europe don't need to pay Swedish tax (25%) so the price for each mount is 1400 SEK. ($180 with todays rate)

Shipping is 587 SEK ($75) for 2 mounts.

1 - 20 of 351 Posts