1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im startin to get some misfires.
im at about 40k miles...so that seems about right
im pretty sure its the wires...
is it worth buying aftermarket wires? or should i just get bosch?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Re: do aftermarket plug wires make a difference? (jazzpur)

In my opinion, get whatever you want. Aftermarket and OEM cost about the same (yeah, I know someone reading this knows of a really good deal on an aftermarket wire set), so get whatever you want as long as it comes with lifetime warranty. There is no clear performance advantage to 10.4 mm "Nuclear Red" wires. I vote Bosch.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I also started to get mis-fires on my 2.0L at around 40k miles, so I had my original wires replaced with a new set of factory wires and Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs (MISTAKE). This set-up seemed to fix my problem for a short time,... until the Electrodes in the Platinum plugs burned down, then the mis-fires were back. I later discovered that I had 2 problems; one was the Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs, which aren't really the best for ABA engines, and the replacement Bosch wires seemed to wear out very quickly. So, I was back to my original problem.
I bought a set of Blue Igniters Spark Plug wires from Rapid Parts and a new set of Spark Plugs for a 2.0L from my VW Dealer,...Problem solved, haven't had a miss since and my 2.0L runs even more smoothly than before the mis-fires started!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: do aftermarket plug wires make a difference? (Wolf_GTI)

Quote, originally posted by Wolf_GTI »
I also started to get mis-fires on my 2.0L at around 40k miles,

and the replacement Bosch wires seemed to wear out very quickly.

Whats too quickly? You got 40K out of the first set and the replacement set (assuming they were OEM) are the same wires. Did you try using the correct plug when the Platnums crapped out first?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: do aftermarket plug wires make a difference? (MikeBlaze)

some aftermarket wires are sporting a bigger diameter. Supposedly delivers the spark quicker and i.e a lil better performace. So...... if you have to replace them I would buy aftermarket bigger diameter wires that come with lifetime warranty as oem does not have such a warranty.

P.S Autotech red wires are pretty good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by mums at 6:44 PM 5-12-2003

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: do aftermarket plug wires make a difference? (Wolf_GTI)

I also started to get mis-fires on my 2.0L at around 40k miles, so I had my original wires replaced with a new set of factory wires and Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs (MISTAKE).

damn, i just installed platinums!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: do aftermarket plug wires make a difference? (mums)

Quote, originally posted by mums »
some aftermarket wires are sporting a bigger diameter. Supposedly delivers the spark quicker and i.e a lil better performace. So...... if you have to replace them I would buy aftermarket bigger diameter wires that come with lifetime warranty as oem does not have such a warranty.

P.S Autotech red wires are pretty good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Don't be fooled. Often times those larger diameter wires are merely added insulator not added conductor. Also a larger wire adds resistance to the elctricity hurting perofrmance if you do not have an upgraded ignition.

Modified by MikeBlaze at 7:01 PM 5-12-2003

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: do aftermarket plug wires make a difference? (MikeBlaze)

Quote, originally posted by MikeBlaze »

Don't be fooled. Often times those larger diameter wires are merely added insulator not added conductor. Also a larger wire adds resistance to the elctricity hurting perofrmance if you do not have an upgraded ignition.

well a larger diameter wire would theorectically yield less resistance

Quote, originally posted by MikeBlaze »

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

I have had problems with OEM plug wires in the past. Usually the #3 plug wire burns out or the plug blows an electrode or tip. Gone through 3 sets of wire sets through the dealer. I finally got fed up and went to 8mm wireset from Vitek and Bosch Platinum +4's and never had problems since. That was 2-3 years ago. Still running smooth and strong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts