VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sebring exhaust and it makes a 'different' kind of sound. Most exhausts i hear have a smooth humm....(is that only from ricers?) others i hear a rumble (like those from euro sedans w/modified exhaust), but mine sounds like its rolling? I don't know how to describe it, but that's the best i can. When i'm idling the xhaust sounds like its rolling, first, i thought i needed my exhaust replaced but it was fine. Then the other day a scirocco past me and it sounded similar to my car. I guess it's a vw thing?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Re: Do all VW's sound the same? (MK2*GTI*GUY)

Length of pipes, width of pipes, number of resonators(if any), cat/no cat, style of tips, and type of muffler(to some extent) all affect the way the exhaust sounds. A G60 with a Techtonics/Borla SS exhaust sounds very different from a VR6 with the identical setup. Also a VR6 passat with the techtonics setup will sound a little(some might not notice) than a GTI VR6 with the same system due to the length of the exhaust.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Re: Do all VW's sound the same? (markymark420)

Quote, originally posted by markymark420 »
Length of pipes, width of pipes, number of resonators(if any), cat/no cat, style of tips, and type of muffler(to some extent) all affect the way the exhaust sounds. A G60 with a Techtonics/Borla SS exhaust sounds very different from a VR6 with the identical setup. Also a VR6 passat with the techtonics setup will sound a little(some might not notice) than a GTI VR6 with the same system due to the length of the exhaust.

very true but, a Honda with the same displacement as a VW with the same style exhaust they will sound different. each company makes their motors differently so they sound different...
just like an old chevy will never sound like an old ford like the 302 mustang, and may i add thank god!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Do all VW's sound the same? (vdubCorrado)

I definately think Volkswagens have a distinctive sound all their own. A friend of mine was on the side of the highway a few weeks ago, and he heard my C coming from about a mile away. He didn't know it was me, but he knew it was a VW.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Re: Do all VW's sound the same? (g60speed)

Not really. Many people have commented that my corrado sounds different from any car they have ever heard, and it does. Not really sure why. I have a Gilet exhaust wit the resonator removed, but it sounded the same (like no other) before i removed the resonator.
Compared to my rabbit (built motor, 2.1 liter with a 2.25" Borla/TT exhaust) they sound very different.
And of course the VR6 sounds like pure sex, even with the stock corrado exhaust on them. If you could bottle that it would sell for more than CK1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts