VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been thinking of doing dubwars roadrace, but a little hesitant about the tranny. Please tell me your experiences with this. thanks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: Do any Tiptronic guys roadrace or autox (manasteel)

manasteel,
I took my 03 Jetta 1.8T Tip to Buttonwillow in January for 2 days of carnage. It was the first time i took her to a track. I played around with different positions of where to put it. I found that D was the worst. leaving it in 4th was much better in shifts (speed of shifts) but found that on the straights and some faster corners, it would want to temporarly shift to 4th and then downshift back to 3rd coming out of the turn. So I left it in 3rd and that seemed to do better untill i got to the straight aways (80-90mph) then id have to bump it to 4th. Then all of a sudden i looked down and wondered why i hadnt been using the TipTronic feature?!?!!? So the hole second day i used the tip feature and man was i MUCH MUCH faster in my lap times!! Nice thing about the tip was coming into turns and being able to slap it down twice (4th-2nd, or 3rd-1st) and not worry about over reving. it shifts down when your rpm gets low enough. the problem i had was upshifting it. You get so used to not shifting that you find your self rear view mirror racing and forget to upshift and you start wondering why your engine is bouncing off the rev limiter! heh.. anyhow, the trans held up fine and had NO problems at all. I work at a dealer and pull abit of fluid out just to see her color and smell. just fine!
Good luck and have fun! oh ya, leave your ASR off.. heheh

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Do any Tiptronic guys roadrace or autox (03Jetta1.8T)

cool deal, im pre registered, so ill see! haha halfway reading your post i was wondering why you didn't use the tiptronic! howd you do in relation to everybody else. did you roadrace or do the autox?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts