VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed while sitting at a red light tonight that if i operate the windows, the headlights get dimmer for a second, and the engine rev's just the tiny-est amount. Is this normal? Seems like they shouldn't draw That much current.
edit: spelling

[Modified by Triumph, 7:57 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Re: Do anyone elses headlights dim when operating your windows? (pkunda)

Yes it's normal and yes they do draw that much current. Especially if you operate all the windows at the same time. Try this, with the windows already up, try to roll the windows up with the switches. Watch your lights dim and your engine slow down. Don't try this for too long

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Do anyone elses headlights dim when operating your windows? (Triumph)

Haven't noticed it (yet) with my Passat, actually, but it has been true of every other car I've ever owned that had power windows. I think anything with an electric motor draws a lot of juice, generally. Same thing happens in my house when I turn the vacuum cleaner on.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Re: Do anyone elses headlights dim when operating your windows? (Jerry G)

Printing, and xerox copying take a lot of juice too.
I've never noticed it. I usually open all four windows and sunroof at the same time... got that down pat.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Do anyone elses headlights dim when operating your windows? (Bartnik)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yes it's normal and yes they do draw that much current. Especially if you operate all the windows at the same time. Try this, with the windows already up, try to roll the windows up with the switches. Watch your lights dim and your engine slow down. Don't try this for too long
[HR][/HR]​
that's actually what I was doing. Glad to hear that it's normal. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.