VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into cross drilled, dimpled, or slotted rotors.
I'm wondering if the 288mm x 25mm vented fronts and the 260mm x 12mm solid rears are new sizes/specs for VW's.
Or if these sizes are used in another VW/Audi car?
The reps I spoke to at Brembo and Zimmerman are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

The Mintex folks are working with their UK counterparts as the part numbers given to them are not valid in their system here. But at least they are keeping me in the loop for Mintex Red Box brake pads.
I'm just doing my part trying to urge the aftermarket along

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: Do GTI's or GLI's have rotors from previous VW/Audi models (Nurendra)

I'd like to know, too. They "look" the same, but it could be way off.
We do know the calipers are the same as MKIV.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
They may be the same size, but they are not the same rotors. MKIVs have 5x100 bolt pattern and MKVs have a 5x112 bolt pattern. 5x112 has been a popular pattern for Audis for the past few years, the sizes I'm not sure of tho.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (blackvento36)

subject says vw/audi... ultimately the question would be do audi rotors fit the gti or gli.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As stated above they are the same rotors (from the MKIV gli and 20th) aside from the change in bolt patterns.
In addition the rears are not vented.

Modified by jb4153 at 4:09 PM 2-8-2006

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (jb4153)

Basically, I'm trying to see if there is an Audi (or Passat) out there that has the same size (and bolt pattern). That way I can explore aftermarket rotors.
So I guess I'll get the p/n for the stock and cross reference then at the Audi dealer.

·
Banned
53,529 Posts
Re: (Nurendra)

Quote, originally posted by Nurendra »
So I guess I'll get the p/n for the stock and cross reference then at the Audi dealer.

Audi would use the same parts (or less) on their new generation cars (A3), so no upgrade there.
And the non-A3 or TT parts would not fit a MkV VW anyway, even with the same bolt spacing.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (GTINC)

Quote, originally posted by GTINC »
Audi would use the same parts (or less) on their new generation cars (A3), so no upgrade there.
And the non-A3 or TT parts would not fit a MkV VW anyway, even with the same bolt spacing.

BUt the idea here is:
If the parts are the same
And upgrades are avail for other cars with the same rotors (like the A3)
Then those mods will fit MKV.

I don't see why it's so hard to follow.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Re: (syntrix)

YEs, A6 will direct fit so will the S6

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
BUt the idea here is:
If the parts are the same
And upgrades are avail for other cars with the same rotors (like the A3)
Then those mods will fit MKV.

I don't see why it's so hard to follow.

Then didn't you just answer your own question? Unless the rotor suppliers and manufacturers somehow just got retarded, I'm sure they would have crossreferenced the fitments of rotors that are already available. Some companies DO like to make money

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (blackvento36)

Quote, originally posted by blackvento36 »

Then didn't you just answer your own question? Unless the rotor suppliers and manufacturers somehow just got retarded, I'm sure they would have crossreferenced the fitments of rotors that are already available. Some companies DO like to make money

NO!
That is the question! It's already happened with things like aspherical mirrors. I was the one to figure out that they fit from a B5.5 Passat. I took the time to put 2 and 2 together and pulled it off my passat and put it on my MKV. Now every store seems to have a MKV fitment listed. So it may not be obvious at first. Heck even the TT sized brake upgrade took years to figure out on the MKIV.
So what were you saying again?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm with Syntrix.
If we accepted everything at face value, we would still be teaching the world is flat

Challenging preconceptions raises the bar.
Remember that Brembo and Zimmerman had no idea and that Mintex's part numbers didn't sync with the UK ones. So their money making notion ground to a halt.

I'll pass this info on to them later as well.
Front rotors are 1K0 615 301 AA
Rear rotors are 1K0 615 601 M
Checking with both VW and Audi parts, this is a new part listed for 2006-2007 models.
Applications are for the above years and they only fit:
Audi A3
VW R32
VW GTI/GLI (oops)
So now we know.

Feel free to recheck this data with your local parts dept.

Modified by Nurendra at 11:25 AM 2-9-2006

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (Nurendra)

Thank you Nurendra!!! Thanks for sharing that info!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
NO!
That is the question! It's already happened with things like aspherical mirrors. I was the one to figure out that they fit from a B5.5 Passat. I took the time to put 2 and 2 together and pulled it off my passat and put it on my MKV. Now every store seems to have a MKV fitment listed. So it may not be obvious at first. Heck even the TT sized brake upgrade took years to figure out on the MKIV.
So what were you saying again?
You really are my hero! On a side note tho, doesn't ECS tuning slot and drill their own rotors? It may not be to crazy of a notion to ask them if they can do a one-off slotted or drilled set for ya's, or maybe even get a couple more Vortexers in on it and prepay them to do it. Just a thought.

Modified by blackvento36 at 4:14 AM 2-10-2006

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Oh by the way, if the ECS thing does work out for ya, ya may wanna opt for just drilled rotors. I don't have any experience with other manufacturers slotted rotors, but I had some ECS's slotted Brembos on my MK3. The slots are cut very shallow, and after about 6 or 7 thousand miles they were no longer slotted rotors

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.