VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search already. OK when I got my 1990 G60, the ABS indicator light never flash for diagnostic when startup. I pulled the indicator panel and found out that it's been tampered with. Looks likes the ABS LED was removed. I don't know if it came like this from the factory because I don't have ABS or the previous owner removed it. But I know for sure, from the broken clip, that it has been tampered with. Now I have a replacement panel and the ABS light does come on for a few second when you turn the keys and disappear.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Re: Do I have ABS? (87GolfKart)

Quote, originally posted by 87GolfKart »
Now I have a replacement panel and the ABS light does come on for a few second when you turn the keys and disappear.

That's normal operation. Why don't go to an empty parking lot and at a slow speed try locking the brakes up?

· Registered
2,356 Posts

Going on, then turning off is normal ABS test cycle, to indicate that its functioning. But the best way to test is as above... Find empty lot, and pick up some speed, then slam it (Brakes that is).

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Do I have ABS? (JoeBoxerVR6)

or you could do like me and go flying around a turn on a backroad that hairpinned much further than you thought it did and realize for the first time your ABS does in fact... still work

· Registered
163 Posts
Re: Do I have ABS? (Seis)

Quote, originally posted by Seis »
or you could do like me and go flying around a turn on a backroad that hairpinned much further than you thought it did and realize for the first time your ABS does in fact... still work

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Do I have ABS? (stic)

OK I attempt the above..I didn't stomp on it hard because I don't want to break the car (last time I stomp hard the wheel came off). I can hear like a pulse of air. Is this the abs or I got air in my brake line. It's like ps ps ps ps ps...but driving normally I can hear a soft pssss when I brake...hmm...

· Registered
1,532 Posts

Come on, go torque the lugnuts down and give it a try at a slow speed(under 25mph) and stomp on the pedal. You will feel pulsation in the brake pedal if the ABS kicks in. Also keep your windows down to see if you can hear the tires locking up.
PS: Make sure you have you're seat belt on, I don't want to be liable for potential injuries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.