VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My day time running light has gone out and i went today to buy the bulb and when i got home to change it i notice that the battery box doesnt let me. How in the world do i change the bulb? I have no idea how to do it and the guys at the dealer acted liek they could care less. Also, am i supposed to take that little metal cap off the old bulb and put it on the new one?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Re: Do i have do take out my Engine to change the Head light? (DetroitGolf1.8T)

nope, not the engine, just the front bumber and grille, not that hard takes about 5 minutes, and then you disconnect the electrical cord that connects the the headlight houseing and take off the back cover of the housing and you can replace the bulbs.

[Modified by DriftGTI, 9:07 PM 11-26-2002]

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

ya its a lot easier to just take the bumper off and remove the headlights. seriously i really only takes about 5 minutes to have your front end apart.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: Do i have do take out my Engine to change the Head light? (MB300E87)

That or take your battery out...thats not hard either and you don't look like you are banging your car apart. Just sounds silly to take off the bumper to change a bulb.
THere is a black plastic cover behind the drivers light...w/ 4 screws in it. Take that out, then remove your battery cover and then look betw the battery and headlight you should see a screw at the bottom of the battery holding it down. Remove that and then you should be able to get your battery out once you have removed the rest of the battery casing. Now you should have all the room you need to change a bulb.
I still don't think that you should have to go thru all this to change a bulb but I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Jesus Christ!!!! Taking off my bumper sound f'in nuts!!!! This is crazy!!! why cant it be as easy as changing the rear ones?? My luck that it had to be the light on the battery box side. I think im gonna go drop my car in the Detroit River
. thanx for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Re: Do i have do take out my Engine to change the Head light? (vwsteve)

what about the pasenger side?

quote:[HR][/HR]You absolutely do not have to pull the numper to put the Bulb in the drivers side....take off the protective cover (2 screws) above the light and you can get your hand in there....I've done it at least 3 times already.....no joke.[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: Do i have do take out my Engine to change the Head light? (bakersfield_gti)

no dont take off anything its very easy ounce u got the trick look take off the plastic covering the access to the light bulb itself then make a quarter turn to the left or right and the light bulb should come out thats what i did and everything worked out fine no problems and i did not take anythging off just keep trying trust me at first i had a hard time but now no problemo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts