VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of picking up an Optima Red Top for my 2.0 16v GLI. Will I notice anything or is it just a battery that's more reliable and powerful? Will the car start easier?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (duff_man2000)

I think it's one of those things that you can get IF you need a new battery,, otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (Ted)

Excellent battery, but the downside is more weight, and thats sumthin you won't want up front on a front driver.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (Espen W)

Ive been looking around for one of those real small racing batteries-some of the muscle car mail order joints have em,but they're expensive. Like 150.00/200.00.Anybody got a suggestion?

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (duff_man2000)

Duff-I used to roll a muscle car w/ a trunk mount battery..my advice is DON'T put your battery there! If you do,you'll have hot-start problems from hell. With a trunk mount battery,you'll have to run a 2 or 0 gauge cable to the front,and a similar size ground cable(s). The problem seems to be current drop over the distance from the battery to the starter,which gets worse when the engine is hot. A friend mounted his battery behind the seat(in a corrado) and had the same problem.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (vr6swap)

If Optima weighs too much, what's your opinion on Interstate batteries then?

·
Registered
464 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]If Optima weighs too much, what's your opinion on Interstate batteries then? [HR][/HR]​
Interstate should be OK. All I know is that Optimas are quite heavy due to their unique construction.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

Interstate are great batteries, probably the best non-super-sealed design (like the Optimas). I'm going to get Interstate next time unless I can find one of those light weight ones.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (Tarmac)

I bought mine off e-bay, brand new, for around $80. There are a few "companies" on there that sell Optima batteries all the time....check it out.

·
Registered
626 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Duff-I used to roll a muscle car w/ a trunk mount battery..my advice is DON'T put your battery there! If you do,you'll have hot-start problems from hell. With a trunk mount battery,you'll have to run a 2 or 0 gauge cable to the front,and a similar size ground cable(s). The problem seems to be current drop over the distance from the battery to the starter,which gets worse when the engine is hot. A friend mounted his battery behind the seat(in a corrado) and had the same problem.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah but the gel-cell batteries (Optimas)put out a LOT more cca than your regular automotive battery. I think they're something rediculous like 1200 cca or thereabouts compared to the typical 600ish cca of a regular battery.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (Spinne16v)

Okay,but check this out- I weighed a regular autozone type battery today,and I was kinda suprised to find it only weighs about 35 lbs. I was under the impression that batteries were heavier than that. Now comes the big question: When we buy those high zoot supertrick racing batteries(the real small ones that are supposed to be lighter)what are we REALLY paying for? The small size? Yeah,I've seen the specs on those batteries,where they have enough CCA rating to crank a battleship,but I don't have a huge stereo,Ijust wanted a small battery to take weight off the front of my car.All the little bitty batteries I've seen AREN'T any lighter than a regular one.
Anybody know how to make the trunk mount battery thing work???

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (The_Hamster)

Umm...depends on the wire you use if you're going to mount it in the trunk. Doesn't it make sense that there are wires available that cost more but don't suffer as severe losses over a greater distance? That's the easiest way, but there are so many ways to get around that problem that I'm not even going to grab my text to find them.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Excellent battery, but the downside is more weight, and thats sumthin you won't want up front on a front driver.[HR][/HR]​
The batteries are soo worth it. Yes, my car starts up nicely. Plus you have confidence in the car especially in the winter season. The extra cold cranking power is nice.
Also with the quote. I got a battery that had the Optima technology, but was smaller. It actually is called the "Vortex" battery. Hehehe

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (Tornado Wolfie)

I know you have to use good cable,like 2 or 0 gauge stereo power cable,and a big damn ground wire too. What I'm askin' is how do you avoid the starting problems that come with putting the battery in the trunk? With my old Nova,you'd just about need a stick of dynamite to turn the engine over on a hot day. Is it as simple as using REAL big cable?
Bruce Willis?Die Hard? heeeeee!

[Modified by vr6swap, 2:46 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

Well Optima batterys are ok. They are just the standard dry cell. Which are way better than the conventional batterys. More more corrosion. To be honest im a fan of Stinger batterys they are lighter,smaller and last a long ass time. Very expensive though. Really the only downside is that your not suppossed use them to jumpstart with and if you have to charge them they MUST be charged using a trickle charger.
Also with any dry cell you notice they with start faster in the colder weather and they hold juice longer. There is probably some other stuff that im forgeting.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (hoodita)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well Optima batterys are ok. They are just the standard dry cell. Which are way better than the conventional batterys. More more corrosion. To be honest im a fan of Stinger batterys they are lighter,smaller and last a long ass time. Very expensive though. Really the only downside is that your not suppossed use them to jumpstart with and if you have to charge them they MUST be charged using a trickle charger.
Also with any dry cell you notice they with start faster in the colder weather and they hold juice longer. There is probably some other stuff that im forgeting. [HR][/HR]​
Okay,where can I get info about stinger batteries? Size,weight,availability,Prices?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

Well im not sure who else sells them but my brother sells quite a bit of them at his shop. i'll stop by his work tommorrow and get more info.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Re: Do Optima batteries make a difference? (The_Hamster)

I had a DieHard International battery, which never went dead, but leaked and melted the power steering reservoir and a couple of cables and hoses. And Sears didn't even replace the battery for free - they did however buy me a new power steering fluid reservoir. $40 part in exchange for $140 battery... hmmm. oh well, it's all water under the bridge at this point.

·
Registered
626 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Well Optima batterys are ok. They are just the standard dry cell. Which are way better than the conventional batterys. More more corrosion. To be honest im a fan of Stinger batterys they are lighter,smaller and last a long ass time. Very expensive though. Really the only downside is that your not suppossed use them to jumpstart with and if you have to charge them they MUST be charged using a trickle charger.
Also with any dry cell you notice they with start faster in the colder weather and they hold juice longer. There is probably some other stuff that im forgeting. Okay,where can I get info about stinger batteries? Size,weight,availability,Prices?[HR][/HR]​
I believe that they can also be deep cycled without ill effect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts