VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Does the "win on Sunday, buy on Monday" thing apply to people who are interested in buying a Toyota, even more so convince them to buy a Camry?

Maybe. It definitely does nothing in educated, cosmopolitan suburbs around L.A., Chicago, New York, Boston, etc. etc.

But in rural Tennessee? It very well help sway potential Chevy Malibu buyers to buy a Camry instead.

More importantly, and I think the reason that Toyota does this, is that it hammers home that Toyota is a "domestic" brand that assembles vehicles in the US and is invested in the US economy. This pays huge dividends in the truck-buying rural and exerb areas where Toyota sells lots of trucks.

Could you imagine a guy in rural Alabama driving a Volvo pickup truck (if such a thing existed)? Nope. But a Tundra is a common sighting even in areas like that. Toyota has done a great job with their branding.

·
Registered
2018 Golf Sportwagen 4motion
4,577 Posts
More importantly, and I think the reason that Toyota does this, is that it hammers home that Toyota is a "domestic" brand that assembles vehicles in the US and is invested in the US economy. This pays huge dividends in the truck-buying rural and exerb areas where Toyota sells lots of trucks.
This is all of it right here ^^^.

Back in the NASCAR heyday, it was only domestic manufacturers in those races, even competing brands within the same corporate structure (Pontiac, Chevrolet). That was the true "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" era, when the showroom choices were pretty similar and racing success could sway a buyer away from a Ford Torino into a Plymouth Roadrunner. You could argue it extended into the Chevy Lumina, Ford Thunderbird era of the 1990s. After that....more corporate statement than anything because the aerodynamics took over and the race versions started to look the same.

Darrell Waltrip remarked that in the late 70's and early '80s, he and his team would go into the dealerships when the new model year cars came out and the brand that looked most aerodynamic is the one they committed to for the season. OK so Jaws is prone to stretching the truth at times but seriously.....I could see it.

Reactions: Kiyokix

·
Registered
178 Posts
The monte carlo was the NASCAR car for a while, and I know numerous people who bought it and still reminisce about the stupid thing because of that marketing stunt.

I promise you there are thousands of people who have a Toyota Camry in the driveway specifically because that's what their favored NASCAR driver wins in. After a year of driving a dull crossover stepping into a Honda Accord felt like the sharpest of BMWs, I have a feeling the "nascar heritage" Toyota camry sells well because of that point too.

EDIT: Echoing the "Toyota = Domestic" claims, have any of you been to a Toyota dealership recently? Maybe its my region, but 90% of them deliver the experience you'd expect of a sleezy 1980s domestic brand. I think hammering down "toyota = american" is a huge part, too.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
In the US? In the world?

And what percentage of Mercedes' high-margin, high-price AMG cars care about F1? Probably more than 1%.
For many, AMG are just faster Mercedes. AMG was NEVER about F1. People were into AMG LONG BEFORE Mercedes has touch F1.
Just like G-Wagen are just expensive Mercedes that can drive (show off) in any weather/season.

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,874 Posts

·
Registered
30,294 Posts
If it was for the "educated" coastal states they would have to race teslas with sponsors being wheatgrass and lab grown meat :ROFLMAO:
If you turn a scientific lab into a chicken coop, does your argument still stands?

Reactions: Aw614

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
If it was for the "educated" coastal states they would have to race teslas with sponsors being wheatgrass and lab grown meat :ROFLMAO:
If the taste and mouthfeel are right, I don't give a damn that it's made a lab out of soybeans and sawdust.
-shrug-
We gotta do something. Factory farming is terrible for the environment.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts