VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Lola is getting left out of this(for now), I can'y have her down for any considerable amount of time, she's the commuter at the moment...
Ok, I have an 84 GTI(PICS) 1.8l 8v, and possibly either a messed up, or 4 speed tranny. Nice bod, crappy red interior, sunroof.
I also have an 87 Rocco(PICS 1.8l 16v, 5sp. Fresh head work, new clutch and clutch cable, a couple of rust-ish panels, semi-rust-ish under-carriage, grade A- black/gray interior, busted sunroof, slightly bent rad support.
I'm thinking(uh oh) of yanking the motor, trans, maybe some suspension and the interior out of the Rocco and transferring it over to the Rabbit. So I'd have an '84 SciRabbit GTI 1.8l 16v, with the stiffer suspension, better interior and of course a kickin 16v and 5sp. Part of my thinking(there's that word again) in this is my high school colours were red & black and they look SOOO good together
... Anyway...
Which fuelling sustem will work better with this setup? Should I yank the whole CIS-E set-up out of the Rocco to go with the motor? Is there some kind of hybrid/custom system that works well with/instead of CIS-E? Will the Euro injection work(so I can go O2 sensor-less)? I don't like CIS-E, I would rather have a system that is chip-able, a little less 'touchy', but won't cost me an arm & a leg.
Pt2: All the suspension goodies will jump right over, right? I mean the lower tie bars and such...
[thinking out-loud] One wonders if any components from the '16v kit' on the Scirocco, like the side-skirts and front air-dam maybe, will fit on he Rabbit..[/thinking out-loud]
Pt3: Will the interior transfer easily? Does anyone have pics of Rocco interiors in Rabbits/GTIs?
Section D: Any info, pics, advice, warnings you could offer would be greatly appreciated. As I only have a one car garage, this won't start until spring, but I want to start planning now.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Re: Do Rabbits and Roccos mate? (SidRocco)

well an aswer to one part of your question,
the seats fit, teh back is snug, and the back seat back wont clip into the posts to hold it up, but i have nbever had any problems

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: Do Rabbits and Roccos mate? (verboten)

Well, IMO the best mod you can make to a 16v Scirocco is to pull the motor and put it in a Rabbit.

You have a few options here...I did my 16v swap using basically all of the Scirocco wiring. Injection, fusebox, everything. Its a nice way to keep everything "together."
However...you can use your existing Rabbit CIS with the 16v with minimal adapting(lines, injectors, and add the knock sensor), and if you add the Euro injection, its even simpler. I just put my Euro injection on my brother's Rabbit, which was built using the 2nd method, and it really made the car into what it should be. Doesn't hurt that its all new fuel stuff.

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Do Rabbits and Roccos mate? (bluerrrabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]
However...you can use your existing Rabbit CIS with the 16v with minimal adapting(lines, injectors, and add the knock sensor), and if you add the Euro injection, its even simpler. I just put my Euro injection on my brother's Rabbit, which was built using the 2nd method, and it really made the car into what it should be. Doesn't hurt that its all new fuel stuff.[HR][/HR]​
So...Could I just grab the head, intake, lines, knock sensor and the like, add the Euro injection**, and leave the comp and stuff in the Rocco? With the Euro injection, do I need the knock sensor?
**and what inhectors would be better? Probably the 16v, eh? And would an enrichment mod be good, or would something else work better with this groupo?
Thanks again

(I'm gettin all excited
)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

Pull the whole motor from the 'rocco. Use the injectors and lines from the 16v, and wire in the knock sensor. I don't think I'm forgetting something???
I don't know if the 16v distrubutor will work right without the KS. The enrichment module is for CIS-E, so that's a no-go. Then you can get the euro injection, put that right in, and get rid of the oxygen sensor.
I'd use the 16v tranny, too, unless you have a 4k, they are supposed to work well with a 1.8 16v. I have the AGB in mine, I like it prettymuch.
What am I missing here??? Anynone?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

The 16V pistons are different then the 8V so use the whole 16V engine as bluerrrabbit said.
Did you ask this question in the Scirocco forum? I bet you get a different answer.

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Do Rabbits and Roccos mate? (A1Rocco)

quote:[HR][/HR]The 16V pistons are different then the 8V so use the whole 16V engine as bluerrrabbit said.[HR][/HR]​
AH! Ok...Thanks

quote:[HR][/HR]Did you ask this question in the Scirocco forum? I bet you get a different answer.
[HR][/HR]​
No way I'm asking in there...I'd be stoned to death or something...lol

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'd use the 16v tranny, too, unless you have a 4k, they are supposed to work well with a 1.8 16v. [HR][/HR]​
I've heard that too
...I have a 4K in Lola, but it has to stay there. Not sure which tranny it has, but I'm only getting reverse, 3rd and 4th, and the guy I bought it from swears it's a 4 speed(which means someone stole the 5sp out of it
I know that it says 020 on the driver's side of the trans, but I didn' notice whether or not it had the green cap...So, it's a toss up right now I guess..

[Modified by SidRocco, 3:33 PM 2-7-2002]

·
Registered
659 Posts

the reason a 16v rocco will beat a 16v rabbit is because roccos are lighter. Rabbits and Roccos (at least scirocco 1s) are the same car basically, same frame and designs with a different body. just about everything from either car will work on the other. pull the rear discs off the rocco and put them on the rabbit as well... its easy, and rabbit brakes suck.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Re: Do Rabbits and Roccos mate? (theYellowRabbit)

Scirocco's are more aerodynamic also...Less air resistance!!

[Modified by G60Turbolet, 3:02 AM 2-8-2002]

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: Do Rabbits and Roccos mate? (theYellowRabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]the reason a 16v rocco will beat a 16v rabbit is because roccos are lighter.[HR][/HR]​
'
Actually, No. Generally speaking, Sciroccos are heavier. Better aerodynamics, but heavier...

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Do Rabbits and Roccos mate? (BFDeihl)

Actually, No. Generally speaking, Sciroccos are heavier. Better aerodynamics, but heavier...[HR][/HR]​
And aerodynamics don't mean poo at the auto-x..

I'm going to use what I can of the Sciroccos brakes, but the rears are gamked(of course) anyway, so there are things I'll need to replace in there anyway...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: Do Rabbits and Roccos mate? (16volt)

quote:[HR][/HR]careful now...there are some 16V Rocco owners here that have not problem spanking 16V rabbits....imho of course. [HR][/HR]​
Can't disagree with ya. It all comes down to what's done to the cars.
quote:[HR][/HR]the reason a 16v rocco will beat a 16v rabbit is because roccos are lighter. Rabbits and Roccos (at least scirocco 1s) [HR][/HR]​
By "16v Scirocco" I meant 86+ factory 16v Sciroccos.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts

You can just switch the whole rear beam. Im doing a Scirocco to Cabby conversion which you can see pics of on "MY PAGE"
The seats and carpet(with a little overlap in the middle) will fit but the dash wont. I have pics of a Scirocco interior on my page too. Its under the Rabbit for sale. The pics arent very good though.

[Modified by 85gti1, 11:27 AM 2-8-2002]

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

I thought you could do a Scirocco II dash in a Rabbit? Not very common, but I figured it should work somehow.
I'd try it.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts

I tried it in an 81 Cabby. It wasnt coming close. I even trimmed the sides. Wouldnt go. I ruined a perfect, no cracks dash.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts