VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post where someone said the european cars are more suited to be driven at 100+ mph because they have different gear-ing compared to their north american counter parts.
Im aware that the 2002 models have taller gearing compared to the older GTI's but what is the gearing in Europe??

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (MarcinB)

that was the what mobil1 does everyone use thread.
i think the euro versions have lower gearing enbling them to have a higher top speed. perhaps they all have the tdi 5th?

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (AxeAngel)

Sam- That would be higher gearing for higher top speeds. Even though I think you meant numerically lower (TDI).

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (16vracer)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sam- That would be higher gearing for higher top speeds. Even though I think you meant numerically lower (TDI).[HR][/HR]​
fred - absolutely correct. thats what i meant, just not thinking logically and explaining things well today. what would i do without guys like u here?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (AxeAngel)

is there actuall proof or are we all just assuming that it is true?? I would like to see some numbers if possible for each gear including the final drive. I looked on the net maybe someone from europe can elaborate on this?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (MarcinB)

I'm in the UK and so (obviously) have a euro model. From my own experience, I can cruise at 100mph at around 4000rpm in 5th gear. At 115mph I seem to remember the engine was at just under 5000rpm.
Note: even though my car is a 2002 model, it's rated at 150bhp, as we didn't get a 180bhp version for '02. The brochure specs say top speed is 134mph.
Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (HwAoRrDk)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm in the UK and so (obviously) have a euro model. From my own experience, I can cruise at 100mph at around 4000rpm in 5th gear. At 115mph I seem to remember the engine was at just under 5000rpm.
Note: even though my car is a 2002 model, it's rated at 150bhp, as we didn't get a 180bhp version for '02. The brochure specs say top speed is 134mph.
Hope this info helps.[HR][/HR]​
from what I remember its the same on my car

·
Registered
8 Posts

of course they differ, in mexico they are sold with the German specs and they are shipped directly from wolsburg to the dealers. they are rated top speed at 137 mph. with the 150 Hp engine, because we don´t get the 180 hp engines in the golf, only in the jetta and the SEAT leon.
they have longer ratio gear to cruise in the autobahn at top speeds and in the states, you can´t cruise at 120 mph all the time in the highway. thats why.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (NJWolf18T)

I just checked it today I hit 100mph at 4000-4100rpm and I have the 2002 GTI 180hp so that theory falls out the window.
if you ask me I think the 2002 tranny is the same as in europe.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (leoncupra)

quote:[HR][/HR]My Seat Leon (6 speed) sits at about 3200 rpm at 80 MPH.[HR][/HR]​
rub it in why don't you

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: Do the Gear ratios in a GTI differ in the USA from the Eurpean models? (Levish)

I believe the trannys are the same for 2002. TDI being the exception of course. I'll have to dig up my chart here somewhere....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.