VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a little coolant leaking from the bottom passanger side of my radiator...can't tell if it is the radiator or the hose/clamp. Do the clamps ever go bad? Any way to tell which it is? We aren't talking a lot of fluid here, but I would sleep better knowing it isn't my radiator

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Re: do those crappy hose clamps VW uses leak? (clickhappy)

could go bad, never seen it myself. they are awesome if u have the righ tpliars for them. othewise they suck ass.
where's it leaking from? where the plastic joins the metal? pinpoint it further.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: do those crappy hose clamps VW uses leak? (The_Hamster)

well it is is wet all along the underside of the radiator...so it is hard to tell. I see some of that ugly scaly dried up radiator jizz along the edge of the radiator...if that makes any sense. Maybe I should let the car warm up and then watch it? Gosh I am a genius
The car is a '91 and the radiator is flushed every 2 years, so I HOPE the radiator isn't bad...

·
Registered
3,098 Posts

Can you say new radiator? Sure I knew you could. I'm pretty sure you need a new radiator mine looked just like that. Sadly they are unrepairable. Putting that stops leaks crap in your car will screw up other things. Go buy one.

·
Registered
26,758 Posts

Should be easy to see if its the hose. Squeeze it when it's cold, see if you get any coolant out of it. And/or remove it from the car and flex it to see if it's split.
Otherwise...gonna be the radiator end tank has split, I'll betcha. Mine did, extremely hard to pinpoint just where sometimes.

·
Registered
26,758 Posts
Re: do those crappy hose clamps VW uses leak? (dubwerkz)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ran me about $250 for a new rad.[HR][/HR]​
That much?! I think mine was, hmm, around $100 for a new German unit...this was a couple years ago though. I got mine @ Discount in PDX, but I'd check Bow-Wow and see how much it is...
Installation is nothing, takes maybe 2 hours tops including coolant drain/refill

[Modified by SeattleGLI, 4:52 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Super Moderator
2013 Tacoma
16,038 Posts
Re: do those crappy hose clamps VW uses leak? (2035cc16v)

I paid $80 for my new radiator a few months ago. $250 installed isnt that bad I guess, but they're awfully simple to replace. I did mine myself.
Matt

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: do those crappy hose clamps VW uses leak? (vwtoys)

One of my buddies thought hw would do me a favor and replace my overflow hose...result=no stub on radiator for the hose to attach to! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif So he sprung for a new one the next morning! $250 is way to mucho for me!
Clickhappy- It was done @ Waltz on Bel-Red & NE 24th.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: do those crappy hose clamps VW uses leak? (dubwerkz)

those hose clamps were made by the devil. when i had to replace the coolant hoses coming off the oil cooler to the block i replaced them all with normal hose clamps, ive heard of the vw one breaking after time. it was in a post on here about 6 months ago i started asking if it was ok to switch

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Re: do those crappy hose clamps VW uses leak? (panic)

Those spring clamps can fail. I had one let go. It didn't break, it just lost a buch of its tension so a hose started to leak. The whenI tried to spread it to pull the hose off it broke into pieces.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.