VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just washed my car at a car wash. I did all the manual stuff (not the drive thru). It was at night and i drove home and put it in the garage. the next morning my car had all kinds of dust/water spots on it. I used a spotless spray and spray wax to finish it off. My old car was silver, so i guess i just never noticed any spots. I now have a black 2002 golf.
What should i have done differently? I'm think either towel dry it or go thru the car wash.

peace
chi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (chi42069)

Black cars are a completely differernt animal

I have a black golf, and I live in an area where there is lots of construction going on, so my car is always dusty. One thing that I've considered doing is getting one of those car dusters so I can wipe the dust off the car. If you waxed the car, the dust should come right off.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

I first recommend that you use a good car washing solution, I prefer Westley's, which will provide lubrication to prevent scratching and conditioners to maintain the shine. I steer clear of using dish soap since these products are made to remove grease and caked up buildup from pots and pans. They will strip off all of the wax and protection on your cars finish and make it more susceptible to oxidation. Dish soap is great to use if you plan to start over and remove all the old wax and then plan to apply several new coats of wax or if you plan to use a clay bar. I first park my car in the shade so that my paint is cool to the touch and on a slight incline which helps the water run off of the molding and trim pieces. I wet the car thoroughly with a medium spray and remove most of the loose dirt. I then dip my sheepskin wash mit into my bucket of soapy water and start washing from top to bottom. Lately, I have been using the two bucket system to wash my car. I use on bucket and my sheepskin mit to wash on the areas above the protective body strip. I then use a cotton wash mit and the other bucket of soapy water to wash the dirtiest areas below the rub strip and the side skirts. Most natural sponges, cotton chenille pads, and sheepskin mits have fine filaments that draw dirt away from the paint. Most synthetic sponges tend to trap dirt dirt which can easily scratch your car. I don't swirl the mit as I am washing, but washing in back and forth motions going with the contour of the body part I am washing. I continue this process until I am finished with the entire car and then take the hose nozzle off and do a final rinse of free flowing water which allows the water to sheet off and dramatically reduces the amount you have to dry as well as spotting. I then dry my car with a drying product called the Absorber and a few microfiber towels. The Absorber dries faster than anything and will not scratch, or leave lint. You easily wring it out and store it damp in its tube. The microfiber towels work great to pick up the remaining water drops and in the hard to reach areas.

·
Registered
137 Posts

ryandice has got it down...
the thing with the "manual" car wash is that your working against the clock. you're probably trying to do too much in a short period of time and not rinsing off the dirty soap quickly enough-----and whoa, whattya know, obvious water spots on your beautiful black finish. the tip about doing all your washing/claying/polishing/waxing in straight lines parallel to the direction the wind blows over the car is very important. it will keep your black paint looking so much better for so much longer.
my black paint is clean&pristine after 1 year--it just takes so many hours to keep it that way!

·
Registered
303 Posts

In my opinion, absolutely do not machine wash the car. The paint on my 02 indigo blue Golf seems quite soft, I expect others are similar, and fine scratches easily if one does the wrong thing.
About dust on the car shortly after cleaning it, this is likely unaviodable. The motion of the car throug the air creates a static charge at the paint surface which acts to attract oppositely charged dust particles. This is the same principal how electrostatic precipitation air filters work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (NewbieBaby)

Keep repaeting this: NO AUTOMATIC CAR WASH. This includes manual car
washes (they use high pressureized water, which over time will damage your
paint). Mild soap (there are many intended for cars), carnauba wax. Never, ever
use a pressure washer. Unscrew that damn thing on the hose and let it flow
easily (or buy one that has a dozen or so settings and use the "shower"
setting). You paid thousands for your car, a factory quality paint job will
cost you thousands to replace).

·
Registered
137 Posts

yes, i agree and failed to mention this in my previous reply: no car washes that you have to feed coins into. manual or automatic. sorry.
-hammer

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (vwhammer)

I do use coin operated washers (rinse setting only) and think they can be used safely (apartment dwellers normally have no other choice). In preparation for hand soap washing, I spray from a distance with the only intention to thoroughly wet the surface. At a distance, there is no abrasive action. After soaping, rinsing is done closer, but not blast close, and I have to rely on the soap suspension to let the dirt be rinsed away. From what I can tell, I not added any new fine scratches that were not there from the dealer (we should advise new car purchaser to insist the dealer NOT wash their car, or even remove the white plastic, for that matter) with this method.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

yeah, us apartment dwellers generally don't have much of a choice
If you don't have room to stand back, I think that hitting the car with the spray at a really oblique angle would help too. I mean, rather than standing along side and blasting the car, stand near the front bumper and spray down the side that way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (Somnambulant)

didn't mean to seem insensitive to all the renters out there.
being mindful of the intensity and angle of the water's blast seems like a decent plan. although, being in a confined space with my car while maneuvering a long metal wand and swinging a dangling hose above the roof sounds like it would still make me a lil nervous.
-hammer

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Never use anything at those places if you care enough about your car - those places suck - all their good for is if you don't have anyshade to detail your car in go there and use their shade.....other wise you'll be wasting you're money - that is unless you're not as fanatical about your car's finish as I am... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (DELiRiUM)

I've got a new black car, too. It being only two weeks old, I haven't washed it yet. But I must say that after reading the owner's manual, I was surprised to read that they recommend using just water and a sponge. And only use soap if the car is really dirty. Strange, huh? I plan on trying their method in a few days. Probably get one of those microfiber cloths to soak up all of the water drops. I'll let you know how it goes.
BlackJelli

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (slydwz)

quote:[HR][/HR]Keep repaeting this: NO AUTOMATIC CAR WASH. This includes manual car
washes (they use high pressureized water, which over time will damage your
paint). Mild soap (there are many intended for cars), carnauba wax. Never, ever
use a pressure washer. Unscrew that damn thing on the hose and let it flow
easily (or buy one that has a dozen or so settings and use the "shower"
setting). You paid thousands for your car, a factory quality paint job will
cost you thousands to replace).[HR][/HR]​
Manual car washes are okay...just use the lower pressure setting and you'll be fine. I bucket wash my car at those places...I don't have a choice as I don't own a home. Even with the high pressure setting, keep the hose away from the car by about 4-5 ft and you'll be fine.
I enjoy driving my car more than I look at it..although, even with some swirl marks already
, it still looks good in just about any angle or light.

[Modified by Integrale, 1:06 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Banned
19,340 Posts

i dry my car as soon as i am done washing it...i don't wait a second. I have a black car also, and even when i dry it off right after, i still get some waterspots. I just go back over the area with the waterspots with some quik detailer and a 100% cotton terry towel...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (BlackJelli)

Actually - that the norm - most professional detailers will tell you to only use soap when you have a very dirty car, other wise it's just an extra chemical that you're adding to your cars paint that realy isn't needed...
quote:[HR][/HR]I've got a new black car, too. It being only two weeks old, I haven't washed it yet. But I must say that after reading the owner's manual, I was surprised to read that they recommend using just water and a sponge. And only use soap if the car is really dirty. Strange, huh? I plan on trying their method in a few days. Probably get one of those microfiber cloths to soak up all of the water drops. I'll let you know how it goes.
BlackJelli[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (Red GTi VR6)

Fine dirt particle are as hard and abrasive as large ones. The utility of the soap chemical is to surround the dirt particle so it can be held in suspension while washing and then rinsed safely away. A sponge or rag with added fine particles is essentially what we use to grind and polish metal. The simple wash without a soap solution approximates this action upon the paint finish. But the trouble with dust is that it is apparently large enough to visibly scratch ("swirl marks"), rather than polish.

[Modified by NewbieBaby, 5:02 AM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
60 Posts

My gf autowashed the car last time I let her use it.
Deluxe wash too (wax sprayed on windows and everything)
I could yell at her since she was all happy that she did something nice for me. Honey, if you're reading this, I love you.
Get the Absorber and microfiber towels to dry and buff. A bunch of people suggest getting a sea sponge to wash with, but the're not cheap about $25+

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (Propaganda)

quote:[HR][/HR]Get the Absorber and microfiber towels to dry and buff. A bunch of people suggest getting a sea sponge to wash with, but the're not cheap about $25+[HR][/HR]​
You know - everyone always does that....it's cheaper so do that - I ask you this - how much cheaper is it really if you're going to have to get a new paint job because of all the swirl marks and hair scratches you're putting into you paint by goign the cheaper rout? No to jump on anyone in particular but just as a question in general....

·
Banned
5,977 Posts
Re: Do u all wash your cars manually or go through a car wash? (Red GTi VR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]Get the Absorber and microfiber towels to dry and buff. A bunch of people suggest getting a sea sponge to wash with, but the're not cheap about $25+
You know - everyone always does that....it's cheaper so do that - I ask you this - how much cheaper is it really if you're going to have to get a new paint job because of all the swirl marks and hair scratches you're putting into you paint by goign the cheaper rout? No to jump on anyone in particular but just as a question in general....
[HR][/HR]​
You're not doing something right if you're putting swirl marks in your paint washing it by hand. Either not enough soap, too much pressure with your wash mitt or you're just plain dumb.
http://www.autopia.ws is the best place you could bring this conversation up at. People with BMWs, Porches and everything inbetween on there to fill you in. Now why would you hand wash a Porche if it was going to swirl the car up?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts