VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than take the car to the mechanic, I decided that I would try and fix it myself. The problem was that gas was dripping out of the car at a rate about once every three seconds, so I jacked it up and looked around under the car. All I saw was a bit of gasoline on that weather coating stuff. After popping the hood I found where the fuel was spraying out of a tube...took the top half of the airbox out, the intake tube, etc.
What do I find? A fuel intake hose WRAPPED IN DUCT TAPE. Damnit. After removing the melted tape, I found not one, but two gashes in the tube.
Called up the dealer and read them the part number...it was only $15 and my ride didnt want to take me all the way downtown, so I decided to go genuine VW.

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: Do you hate the previous owner? (eightvalvejettacarat)

My PO is my mechanic, so I luv him. His car I bought is at 193K now and running great minus some problem in the fuel injection. He kept 'er in great shape minus getting struck by a tree while driving and some rust he probably couldn't have done much about. Also did some good mods and some notsogood, but they are all useful

·
Banned
201 Posts
Re: Do you hate the previous owner? (Craig_Heitzman)

My GTI was taken great care of, it runs like a champ, and I've only had one $5 problem (minus regular maintenance.) The PO on my corrado is a different story, I have dumped thousands into that car. But that's what I get for owning a Corrado
It's worth it though
Speaking of...........anyone got an 02a tranny for sale.................

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

I love my previous owner. He was the original owner. I have every single recipt and everything was done at the dealer. He spent more money than the original cost of the car at that damn dealer. The car lived the easy life untill me. Well it still lives the easy life because I pamper it but I do the work myself now.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

I have some minor peeves:
Bad respray of the hood, fenders after an accident. I had the frame measured and it's not bent but the paint is crappy and they also painted the black textured part of my front big bumper??!!! WTF?
Oh and curb rash on a couple of my BBS's. Can't afford the nice restoration job on them.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

I love the previous owner of my car.. he still lets me come by his shop to do my mods and repairs.. sometimes we just drink together and BS.. Hell, I even celebrated christmas with him last year.
I bought the car from my dad

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Re: Do you hate the previous owner? (jervwgti)

I love my previous owner. Was essentially the first owner (bought the car off the original owner like 2 moths after it was first purchased) and gave it everything it needed. Garaged every day and night with upgrades that made sense, i.e. x-drilled brakes w/stainless lines, VR6 upper strut bearings, poly bushings, etc. Also, I have a FAT folder full of all the reciepts and the original purchase stickers and the ad that he saw in the paper. The end result is an 11 year old car that looks like this:

VOILA http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I just wish that he had hung on to the stock BBS

·
Registered
26,758 Posts
Re: Do you hate the previous owner? (schnell16v)

I don't hate the previous owner(s) of my GLI. After purchase a friend was nosing around in the glovebox and found the maintanence book--turns out the car had been owned by a good friend of their family for all but the 7 months prior to my purchase. They maintained it well mechanically speaking, just not cosmetically. (All dings and dents it has are courtesy of them.)
I *do* hate the PO of my 944S. The guy was a total moron who only seemed to know something about Porsches. Save for the $2500 clutch he did a month before I bought it, every time I do another maintanence job on that car I discover another level of neglect. See my sig for the current example.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Re: Do you hate the previous owner? (Blitz16v)

I'm the only owner, bought it about a month before I went to Germany and broke it in for 4 years on the Autobahn, had all the scheduled maintenance done by VAG dealers, they even washed and vacumed the car if it needed doing before you picked it up! I took it to a dealer in the States when I first came back and they left the cap off my master cylinder and I almost ran out into the street with no brakes!That was the first and last time I've went, do most of the maintenance myself and found a good privately on shop for most parts and advice. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

All four P.O's chronically abused the cars. Anthing less than VW would have been junked long ago. The front brake pads on one were worn through to the metal. Got them cheap, so I am not complaining too much.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: Do you hate the previous owner? (SimonH)

Previous owner took care of the car... but did some weird things. Took some of the wires in the engine out of the little harnesses and such. Basically, a huge mess of wires. The ENTIRE ASHTRAY was FULL of gum. Maybe a fetish? Who knows. The outside looks good, a few small dings and scratches, not worth fixing. And the part i like about him most? He let us knock the pirce down from $4500 to $3700

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Re: Do you hate the previous owner? (Moosar)

previous owner of my jetta only owned it for a short while, it was one of his friends before that I believe. he's a cool guy, forgot to do some stuff but I dont hate him.
the previous owner of my GTI though was a real jerk, he left alot of details of the history of the car out when I bought it which I later found out through investigation.
Plus, he had the car R I C E D out before I bought it, with stickers everywhere (even a pissing calvin sticker
) horrible wheels and a fart tip with a cherry bomb

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.