VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chances are that it is heavier than the stock exhaust and that some time has passed since your car was new. Eventaully, the rubber bushings that hold the rear muffler have given away to weight, heat, salt, and such. They have become softer, mushier and they stretch more than they used to. Your exhaust hangs lower than it did before.
Parts needed:
Go to your dealer (or online VW parts store), order:
- 1J0 253 144 (bracket)
- 1J0 253 144 J (bracket)
Both include the metal bracket and the rubber bushing.
Tools needed:
- Jack
- Jackstand
- Piece of 2x4 if ur car is too low for your jack (mine is)
- 13mm socket
- Socket wrench
- Long extension (8in)
- Knife or straight blade
Procedure:
- Jack the car by the driver side rear tire, put a jack stand in your rear axle beam.
- Support the muffler with the jack. Put a rag (so you dont stracth the muffler) on the jack cup and raise the muffler a bit.
- Use a 13mm socket with a long extension to remove the bolts holding the bracket in place.
- Note the orientation of the bracket!
- Remove old bushing from hanger. You can try to pry it out or you can cut it. I cut the older bushing because of the design of the Milltek hangers, I wasnt planning on reusing them anyway.
- Push the new bushing into the hanger.
- Put bolts in the bracket, check the exhaust tips aligment.
- Repeat procedure for the other bracket.
- Drop car.
- Collect your tools
- Paypal me $5
I did the rear bracket first, don't know if this affects the fitment. My exhaust tips are better aligned now.

Trying to bring back the old Mk4 forum, one post at a time,

Modified by ROCKnRLR at 1:19 PM 10-23-2003

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Re: Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? (ROCKnRLR)

god right up!
see if the mods can add this ti the stickies http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
33,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? (mahmgb)

Check my user profile, I use the same one for paypal,

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Excellent write-up. I need to redo mine and now you just made my life easier. VR6kid is right, this belongs in the MKIV FAQ

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,206 Posts

Two steps ahead of you baby, or 2 hangers ahead!

Bought both last month myself, did not get a change to install them yet, too lazy.
Looks like the new rubber is a little more rigit, or stiffer.
There was discreptancy in the part #'s though, they got me the wrong part first, once I get home, I'll verify the part#'s with your, since the hangers are different.
Here is what I plan to do though. Take the inside hanger, drill out the pin which holds the rubber piece, remove the rubber and replace it with one of these:

From http://www.rapidparts.com/Pages/vwc006k.html

·
Registered
33,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? (ElectroMike)

That thing looks nothing like the ruber hangers that i replaced. I will grab the old ones from the garbage can and snap a couple fo pics.

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,206 Posts

I know it looks different and I'll need to make up the left-to-right gap inside the OEM braket but the cool thing about that Rapid Parts hanger is the chain inside, this will be one of those custom hangers once I'm done.
I already have the RP hanger at home and the two new OEM hangers, so I'll cut and make a nice new one out of the two, I'll take a pic before the install.

·
Registered
37,355 Posts
Re: Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? (VR6 Kid)

Quote, originally posted by VR6 Kid »
god right up!
see if the mods can add this ti the stickies http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Added to the DIY.

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,206 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ElectroMike »

There was discreptancy in the part #'s though, they got me the wrong part first, once I get home, I'll verify the part#'s with your, since the hangers are different.

I checked my parts, your Part#'s are 100% accurate! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Part# 1J0 253 144 (Inside hanger bracket with oval sling)
Part# 1J0 253 144 J (Outside hanger bracket with Y sling)

When they first ordered mine, they left out the "J" so that's why I remembered getting the wrong part at first.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts

i think aftermarket exhausts are normally lighter than the stock system, nice write up none the less.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Great post Jose. I was just thinking about changing mine, now I don't have to do all the research. Expect my $5 soon
Quote, originally posted by ROCKnRLR »
Trying to bring back the old Mk4 forum, one post at a time,

If this could only happen. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,436 Posts

Great write up! I'll put this in my own DIY folder! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,488 Posts

Jose did you actually do it your self? or did you have Darvin do it

·
Registered
541 Posts

i dunno about everyone else, but i'm damn sure my aftermarket exhaust weighs alot less then the stocker suitcase full of bricks.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

do you have the picture of the new rubber hanger, bolted on the car ? Do you need 2 parts, or just one of them?
a before and after pic will be great!

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,206 Posts
Re: Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? (Jenkins)

I never made the custom hanger I mentioned here, still have the parts, just never got to it, ended up doing two other things though.
For the rear slingshot hanger, once I centered the tips then took a small rubber washer, wrapped it around the metal pin (between the rubber hanger and the mushroom end of the pin) then put a tie wrap around it, that prevents it from moving side to side.
To bring the tips up, I took a SS clamp and tightened it around the inside rubber hanger, tightened the clamp until the tips were high enough, this prevents the rubber hanger from stretching when the exhaust heats up and expands at the bends.
There was a post a while back with pics on this (not my pics).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts