Votes: 141 26.5%
  • No, I could care less.

Votes: 88 16.5%
1 - 20 of 2085 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until about a month ago I could really care less about motorcycles. I respected that they're a cheap way to go fast and are fun for a lot of people but never really had a desire to ride. I had some spare time and money this summer and signed up for a motorcycle safety course for kicks to get my endorsement and learn how to ride (having never operated one before). What a blast! Definitely going to buy one now. How many of you TCLers consider yourselves motorcyclists? Anybody with cool unique bikes? I know there's a subforum for motorcycles in community/lifestyle but it's not very active.

Pics for clicks. . .
What I'm looking at buying. I previously wanted a GSX-R600 but it's $3300/yr to carry full coverage on. Being my first bike, I plan to insure myself well even though you're not required to have any insurance for them in WA.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
riding for 5 years or so now. more of a fun hobby than an absolute means of transportation for me though.

in the SM world my bike is unique. :cool:

i'd be pretty surprised to come across another KLX400SM owner.

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
Been riding since I was 19 (now 32).

Since then, my interest in owning fast cars has waned significantly because bikes really are that much more fun to me. I have no doubt in my mind that I am faster (and safer when doing so) on my bike than in any car I would be piloting.

I find it a much more accessible hobby. Good, fun bikes can be cheap, far cheaper than cars. My current bike, for example, has the capability to run with many modern exotics on a road course, and its worth less than $4,000. Though I would never recommend it to a newbie - the point is you don't need to spend a lot to go as fast as some pretty quick cars.

Guzzis are pretty sweet bikes, its pretty much an Italian Harley, with a sideways engine. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but they carry the price tag to match the American cruiser. If you some some style to go with your first bike, you might look at a Triumph Bonnie or similar. Used, they can be affordable - This is important because its likely that you will drop it at some point. A Suzuki SV650 is almost always in the new rider recommended list as well, with plenty of power to 'grow into'.

Alternatively, the current crop of 250-300cc sport bikes are an absolute hoot. Even for experienced riders. If you are tall enough, the fun level of a Supermoto is also extremely high.

And good on you for taking the MSF! Its one of the best ways to learn.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I was in a similar situation, never really had an interest in motorcycles. Last summer, a family friend had an '80 Yamaha XS400 that had been sitting for awhile and gave it to me for free. He knew that I liked to work on my car and was mechanically inclined. His only stipulation was that I fix it up and not give it away or sell it. :laugh:

It was a lot of work, caliper and master cylinder were seized, carbs were gummed up, etc. But it was a lot of fun learning, since I had never had something that was carbureted before.

I took the MSF course last fall, and had a blast. As with anything this old, it still needs a few things here and there, but it's running well.

·
Registered
19,294 Posts
Bought a 1990 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 new in Germany and a 1992 Kawasaki Concours new in Lawton, OK. Racked up 11k on the Ninja but the Concours has only 1700 original miles. Haven't started the Ninja in about 9 years, or the Concours in about 5, last tagged in 1998.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Pics for clicks. . .
What I'm looking at buying. I previously wanted a GSX-R600 but it's $3300/yr to carry full coverage on. Being my first bike, I plan to insure myself well even though you're not required to have any insurance for them in WA.
Buy a pre-beat bike for your first bike, you WILL drop it, and plastic is expensive. You can always "upgrade" later.

Pick up a DRZ400 or (at 'nicest') a fuel-injected (2003+) sv650.

I've got a vstrom650, it's a fine bike albeit not thrilling. It's covered a lot of ground on this continent with nary a complaint. It's my 2nd bike and was a good choice for the riding I did.

·
Registered
A3 etron, Volt
9,538 Posts
couldn't*

sorry had to.

I really want to ride bikes, but I just don't find the risk:reward ratio to be worth it in my area. Maybe if I were out in a far less populated area, then sure.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Here's mine! It's a 1974 BMW R90/6 with an R100 tank and seat cowl, I shortened the seat cowl and have a different (longer) one when I take the wife along.

I gave it the cafe treatment with clip-ons, lowered headlight, blackened out wheels, trimmed fenders etc.

I don't ride a lot, mainly because of the risk. I'll take it to shows and out on nice days, but I wont commute with it unless it's a necessity.

Sorry about the picture taken with a potato

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
No but I would love to. Unfortunately there are just too many idiots on the roads around here for me to feel comfortable on one. There are news stories every week about some freak incident involving a motorcycle and the more than likely untimely death of the rider due to no fault of their own.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
22,793 Posts
Here's mine! It's a 1974 BMW R90/6 with an R100 tank and seat cowl, I shortened the seat cowl and have a different (longer) one when I take the wife along.

I gave it the cafe treatment with clip-ons, lowered headlight, blackened out wheels, trimmed fenders etc.

I don't ride a lot, mainly because of the risk. I'll take it to shows and out on nice days, but I wont commute with it unless it's a necessity.

Sorry about the picture taken with a potato
That's a cool bike. :heart::heart::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 2085 Posts