VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rust absolutely irritates me to no end. There is some rust starting in a few points on my fenders and I am now unable to look at the car without scowling and becoming violently angry. Living in the Pseudo-Arctic we see a lot of salt on the roads, and consequently a lot of rust on our cars. I refuse to buy a car with rust on it, but regardless of how much washing I do there is always a little bit after winter. I was wondering what the Vortex ratio of Rust-Free cars to cars with rust of any sort was.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Re: Do You Have Rust? (lacuna)

No rust on my cars. I drive my 96 Golf through every winter here in Calgary and its absolutely rust free. Though, on brothers 99 Rav4 theres rust on the wheels. It also depends how many times you wax your car too because I know he never used waxed his car (just the car wash wax).

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Re: Do You Have Rust? (1Point8TDan)

No rust on any of our cars, then again 2 of them never ever see snow, and the other one that is going to see snow is only 3 weeks old (Honda Pilot)
off-topic...what is this smiley supposed to mean?

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

ever seen a year-round driven Japanese car go from "shiny new" to "decrepid old rustbucket" in 7 years flat?
come to the Northeast and that sort of stuff isn't the exception, it's the RULE!
obin

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Re: Do You Have Rust? (Schultz)

I've got rust that's a little different than most.
When my sunroof broke, it would sometimes, during bad storms, leak. Dripping on my head when I would brake, the entire ceiling soaked like a sponge, lovely stuff. I couldn't afford to have it fixed so it stayed like that for a while. Now, it is partially fixed. I had to get a new motor and entire sunroof assembly. But, since I wasn't around when it got taken to the body shop, they left the glass from the junkyard piece on (was supposed to be replaced with the original glass from my car), it still doesn't work and the domelight/sunroof control thing isn't properly intalled either. Thankfully though, it doesn't leak.
However, all that water leaking in has to start causing some damage sooner or later, and now it is. My roof is a disaster. Its rusting from the inside now and it aint pretty. I snapped a bunch of pics a couple weeks ago that I'm going to post up, the rust spots being some of them

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (MrHappyMonkey)

Quote, originally posted by MrHappyMonkey »
california + hot weather + no snow + new car = NO RUST

You people make me angry!

I really need to move somewhere where cars don't disolve. I was thinking maybe New England... Oh wait...

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 1Point8TDan »
I drive my 96 Golf through every winter here in Calgary and its absolutely rust free.

I don't wanna sound like I'm one prone to schadenfreude, but IMHO, you've gotta have some rust. You aren't looking close enough, or looking underneath your car. After 8 Canadian winters, it'd be impossible for a car to be completely rust free from top to bottom.

·
Registered
22,319 Posts

Yes, my car has rust. A lot less than most 18 year old cars though.

·
Registered
12,988 Posts
RUST! MY car dosent know the meaning of 10 year corrosion protection or w/e those MKIV guys have!

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Re: Do You Have Rust? (niels_dale)

Quote, originally posted by niels_dale »

I don't wanna sound like I'm one prone to schadenfreude, but IMHO, you've gotta have some rust. You aren't looking close enough, or looking underneath your car. After 8 Canadian winters, it'd be impossible for a car to be completely rust free from top to bottom.

My exhaust and other underneath parts have some rust, yes, but the exterior of the car is fine. I never got it painted or anything. Plus, I don't live in East where feed their streets with salt. Usually, the snow doesn't last very long on the streets and I clean the car as much as possible especially in the winter. I've seen some Mk3's that were terribly rusted. Here's a pic from 2 weeks ago:

The other car in the pic was never winter driven.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Plus, I don't live in East where feed their streets with salt.

They use no salt in Calgary?
Or, do they just use it sparingly?
Usually, the snow doesn't last very long on the streets

I guess I'll have to brush-up on my meteorology... I ass-umed you'd be just another frozen neighbor up nort, eh?

the exterior of the car is fine.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
650 Posts
Re: Do You Have Rust? (niels_dale)

Well, I HAD rust on my car. After a brutal winter in Rochester on the cracked and banged up step bars they rusted to hell. So I took them off today.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: Do You Have Rust? (VW_Urf)

the hell i do. it covers all the bolts in my engine bay, and most of the ones on the suspension. my rear quarter panels are being eaten alive, and its spreading to the trunk. this is all due to the conditions seen by the harsher than normal winter from a few months ago.
the next car i get will get many layers of wax on it.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts

Yeah, all of my cars have rust on them. But, then again, all of them came from Pa and/or Jersey.

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts
Re: Do You Have Rust? (Phobia)

My current car better not have any rust on it.

My old car had a tiny bit though. The rear door was misaligned and hit the front when closed. It exposed the metal a little bit and began oxidizing. Nothing I wasn't able to fix in a weekend with some sandpaper, primer, and spray touch up paint . http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 34 Posts