VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a lease car that I will have to take my mods off when I turn in. So is can I install an exhaust without having to cut the stock one? I will have access to a lift so I dont think room will be an issue.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
Re: Do you have to cut the stock exhaust during install? (Keybordem)

Yes, you'll have to cut it. Try to cut before the axle so you have a good base to slip on an OEM clamp (about $17 or so off the 'Bay) when you return to stock. Otherwise, two 5/8 or 11/16 nuts come loose for the clamp off the DP and you're good to go.

· Registered
2,714 Posts
Re: (Keybordem)

Quote, originally posted by Keybordem »
i was going to get a full tb so cant I just pull out the stock and replace with the new?

You need to make one cut, as mk4_2.ho mentioned above.
I don't see why a muffler shop couldn't weld the stock pipe back together whenever you get around to re-installing the stock system.

· Registered
6,485 Posts
Re: (wrh3)

Quote, originally posted by wrh3 »
Only other way to get it off is to remove the rear axle

And you really don't want to do that!
Noone would ever notice a cut over the axle when you go to turn it in...and if they do, who cares? It's back to stock, thats all they'll care about.

· Registered
3,988 Posts
Re: (Keybordem)

In an effort to cut down on production costs, and to add longevity to the factory exhausts, VW decided to make the Mk4 exhaust one piece, mounting them before the rear axle is installed. It's not a big deal to cut it, VW doesn't even make to exhaust available in one piece if it were to be purchased at a VW parts dept.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.