VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says so at the gas station but is it necessary? I have had a dead battery for the last couple of weeks and I have just been push starting it, about to run out of gas and I dont want to have to push start it at the gas station if I dont have to.

· Banned
7,087 Posts
Re: Do you have to turn off the car when you pump gas? (sams0n)

Quote, originally posted by sams0n »
It says so at the gas station but is it necessary? I have had a dead battery for the last couple of weeks and I have just been push starting it, about to run out of gas and I dont want to have to push start it at the gas station if I dont have to.

dude..buy a freakin' battery.

· Registered
8,558 Posts
Re: Do you have to turn off the car when you pump gas? (SurRea1)

buy 2 5 gallon gas cans, walk down to the gas station, fill them up, carry them home and fill up your car so you can push start it in the privacy of your own home.

· Registered
14,807 Posts

YES!! OF COURSE...
what the next question... do you have to stop smoking when pump gas??

· Registered
8,430 Posts

You have to shut your car off 100 feet before the gas station and then push it to the pump. Turn off your cell phone and take the battery out of it too. Just in case.

· Registered
16,131 Posts
Re: Do you have to turn off the car when you pump gas? (SurRea1)

Quote, originally posted by SurRea1 »

x2, i mean really, they're not even expensive and changing one takes a couple of minutes

x3, car died at the gas station actually about a month ago, dead battery. Filled up, paid, then turned--- nothing.
Got a jump, went across the street to Autozone (imagine the luck) and bought a battery for $47, they even installed it for free (policy), took all of a whole 20 miniutes from car not starting to leaving the Autozone parking lot.

· Registered
3,664 Posts
Re: Do you have to turn off the car when you pump gas? (Y2kSI)

Quote, originally posted by Y2kSI »
You have to shut your car off 100 feet before the gas station and then push it to the pump. Turn off your cell phone and take the battery out of it too. Just in case.

They actually say to turn off cell phones at some stations.

· Registered
4,722 Posts

ever since i got my sr20det i havent turned the car off all the time...i know ur supposed to...I know a lot of people who dont. Sometimes i dont because of the turbo dont wanna shut the car off rite away when its hot, and i dont wanna sit there for 2-3 minutes(im my own manual turbo timer)

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Re: Do you have to turn off the car when you pump gas? (Aw614)

yes you do, but the chances of anything actually happening is very unlikely.
the alternator or some other electronic device would have to be very close to gas vapors and cause a big enough spark to ignite, or somehow would have to be sprayed into the engine bay on the exhaust mani or something like that
same with smoking and cell phones...the cell phone thing is actually kinda a hoax...anyone see that mythbusters where they filled a chamber with gas vapors and purposely shorted the phone out....nothing happened.
as for smoking...ever started a bonfire with gas and tried to light it with a cig...doesn't work...the cig just goes out. the ignition source for smoking would have to be the lighter. but still...you'd probably have to take cover from the wind behind your fuel door while you're pupming...haha.
now anyone feel free to correct me if anyhting is wrong. i put together my whole post using common sense and fact. (plus i work at a gas station so i think about this all the time.)
you wouldn't believe how many people come in "excuse me, but that man out there is talking on his cell phone, you should tell him to stop"
my different answers:
#1 how about i take his cell phone, and stick it up your @$$ for being a little b!tch that tells on people.
#2 no
#3 i'm to lazy and there are too many people in line.
#4 no
#5 nothing actually will happen
#6 no
edit: the one thing we do try to stop is when people fill up gas cans in the bed of their truck....are you really that f#[email protected] stupid? thats how most of the fires at stations are started.
edit:added a little more

Modified by radoslcvr6 at 6:27 PM 9-7-2005

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.