VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this topic seems to be something I'd be able to find in the search, but i can't even get a hit for "jetta" right now...
I am anal as hell about my car, and I hear tons of positive stories about tint. Now before I go to get it done, I want to hear what you tint lovers have to say that's bad about it. (I can get a million reasons not to get it from someone who hates it, but I want to know what those of you who love it wish you could change/have done differently... make sense? perfect
)
does it peel after 3 years?
easy to clean?
do you ever miss clear windows?
add your gripes here:

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Re: Do you love your tint? Great.... please post (spaceman_spiff)

I've had tint on my last two cars.. and I never miss tint.. my winter car doesn't have tint.. and I miss it.. once you have it, you'll never go back.. if you find a reputable shop and buy the best grade tint.. it won't fade, peel, whatever.. if it does.. it usually has a lifetime warranty..

·
Registered
148 Posts

I recently tinted my silver Golf at 35% all around. First car I've ever tinted. The conservative side of me went with 35% because it's the "top of the line" film that is legal in Oregon and has the lifetime warranty. Anything darker than 35% and I wouldn't have had the warranty. The black interior helps, but I wish I would have taken the next step darker, perhaps 20%. I've also got a one-year-old sitting in the back seat, so the darker tint would have served a purpose other than asthetics. Consider the color of your interior - I think that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Re: Do you love your tint? Great.... please post (markemery)

Sooo glad I got tint. Mine is rougly 15% around (maybe higher) and is sorta silver-ish but not completley mirror. more pics in sig.

·
Registered
307 Posts

I love my tint. I did it my self on my old truck, and it was great. I had it done by a professional on my Jetta and it rocks. It is seamless in the rear (which is key) and the sides look perfect. I would definatly recomend that you do it. I think it makes the car look better. As for cleaning, most tint manufactures recomend that you use a glass cleaner with alcohol (sp?) in it instead of ammonia. VW has thier own line of cleaning products and the glass cleaner uses alcohol, bonus. My tint never peeled, but if by some small chance it did, its OK because the tint has a lifetime warranty. All I have to do is take it back to the shop and they fix it.
So to sum up, do your research on the shops and the tint they use and you should be fine, just remember to look for the shops that garuntee thier work and thier tint.

·
Registered
418 Posts

I just got my tint done yesterday. This is my second tinted car. I got 35% on the sides and 20% on the rear. I have a black jetta so it looks awesome. I already see a chnge in the temp inside the car after sitting short periods in the sun (in texas). Make sure you get the warranty and I dont see why you wouldn't get it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Do you love your tint? Great.... please post (pooz01wolfsburg)

well thanks for the replies, guys!

the issues i'm concerned about are
1-the interior. do they ever get glue or any other crap anywhere in your car after they install it? i find it hard to imagine there wouldn't be a little mess considering how it's put in (i told you i'm anal
)
2-my girlfriend and the flying buckle. i just know she's going to put a big mark in it with the seat belt... she tries and tries, but every now and then she still clinks the window. is it going to put marks in it really easily?
3-the seams/edges. from what i've seen they can't tint the rear window all the way over because of those stupid little dots on the edge (the tint won't stick right to them). do all of you have that 1/4" gap around your rear window? a local shop did my buddies accord, and they covered the dots and it looks even worse because some of it sticks, and the rest is bubbled up.
thx again!
-by the way, this is basically what i'm going to be looking at -it's my car exactly, and that's about the level i want.

fun fact: ever notice how all of the press photos for a car from the manucaturer have tinted windows? look at the cover page photo of the 337 at http://www.vwvortex.com -it's perfect, but they don't even sell it like that.
silly bastards

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

That's 20% on all windows... In retrospect, I'd kind of rather have gotten 35%, and I think this summer I might get it redone. Plus the jackass that did mine messed it up the first time and the second attempt wasn't much better. I'm ok with it the way it is now, but there are still quite a few bubbles and the back window wasn't cut very well. Do your homework before you go to a shop. Make sure they know how to do it right.
Also, find out about your state laws regarding tinting. Alot of my friends have failed inspection in the past few months here in Jersey for 20%. And watch out for cops. My brother just got stopped 2 weeks ago in his Maxima with 20% tints. He got off with a warning, but it just goes to show that the fuzz aren't tint friendly and you need to be careful about how dark you go.

·
Registered
307 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]well thanks for the replies, guys!

the issues i'm concerned about are
1-the interior. do they ever get glue or any other crap anywhere in your car after they install it? i find it hard to imagine there wouldn't be a little mess considering how it's put in (i told you i'm anal
)
If the shop is good there will be no mess, I got my car back as clean as when I left it. The tint is sprayed with a mix of water and soap then the tint is applied to the window, if the shop does it right there will be no mess.
2-my girlfriend and the flying buckle. i just know she's going to put a big mark in it with the seat belt... she tries and tries, but every now and then she still clinks the window. is it going to put marks in it really easily?
If the metal hits the window hard enough it will make a mark. So two things, first tell your GF to be carefull and second if she slips then have it replaced under warranty
3-the seams/edges. from what i've seen they can't tint the rear window all the way over because of those stupid little dots on the edge (the tint won't stick right to them). do all of you have that 1/4" gap around your rear window? a local shop did my buddies accord, and they covered the dots and it looks even worse because some of it sticks, and the rest is bubbled up.
If the shop does this right it will not look bad, if you look close at it you will notice that some of the tint does not touch the glass. But it will not be something you will notice even if you are standing right next to the car. As for the seams a good shop will hide the seam under the heater line, and you will never see it.
thx again!
You're Welcome[HR][/HR]​
So once agin my only advice is do your research, ask the shops to see some work they have done. There will either be pictures or some cars on the lot. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Re: Do you love your tint? Great.... please post (vwfreak71)

as already said it all depends on the shop my cusins gsris tinted so well that not even the inspection shops cant tell that its not factory i think thats where im gonna get mine done too they take it very close to the edge but anyways
good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.