VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When car shopping, there are a lot of great enthusiast-minded daily driver cars out there that catch my eye but recently a lot more of them are coming equipped with turbos.
To me, a turbo says:
1. "Hey bish! watch me spool up and kill your balance at mid-corner"
2. "Your engine is worthless without me, im the f#$%ing star of the show!!!"
3. " I decided that "basic maintenance" was too easy for you, lets have some fun shall we?"
With that said, turbos are evil. the VW FAST is posessed by the lying spirit that is a turbo. If it wasn't it would more resemble the Easter Bunny and would shower you with delightful treats, not boost leaks and broken axles.
I wish more manufacturers would make enthusiast models in a sans-boost flavor. I secretly want a new GTi , MS3, Cobalt SS, or an A4 but the turbo kills the deal. Is anyone else not a turbo lover?

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Re: Do you purposely avoid turbocharged cars? (Understeer Sandwich)

I'm not really a turbo lover either, but I don't know that it would completely kill the deal. There'd have to be more than just "it's a turbo"

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
FV-QR

I'm a turbooooooo lovahhhhhhh!

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Re: (Understeer Sandwich)

I purposely seek out turbocharged cars...I love them. However, I avoid high mileage T/C cars at all costs.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts

Yes. I remember the original turbo cars that needed a new turbo at 40-60k miles and it cost $3k to fix.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would call it a deal breaker. I do sometimes get annoyed at my past turbo cars cuz if you have passengers that dont understand the turbo concept of staying in your car for min or two to let it cool off, then yeah its annoying that part.
It requires you to pay more attention when ur driving and u want to gun it, not to spool up too much that ur shooting off more speed than you want. Some cars accentuate this more than others, turbo lag is annoying.
But overall, turbos are pretty cool if it isn't applied towards a heavy car. 4 cylinder turbo in a 4000 lb car = defeats the purpose of getting good gas mileage and v6 power in my opinion.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts

Is "borrowing boost" sort of like a cat stealing a babies breath.....

I'm not 100% sold on turbos. I enjoyed my nevAr lose while I owned it, but didn't have to HAVE another turbo on my next car.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Re: Do you purposely avoid turbocharged cars? (PassSedanGLX)

Turbos allow Power and Fuel economy to exist in the same sentence. Love them.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts

I am currently shopping for a new vehicle(truck) right now.
2 requirements:
No spark plugs
Big turbo
35+psi is quite addicting. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,960 Posts

Ideally... I would prefer NA with a high power to weight ratio. However, my last two daily drivers have been turbocharged.
Give me an inline six with ~250 NA hp in a sub 3000 lb car and I would be ecstatic.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
41,973 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »
Obviously no, but I do prefer the sound of an NA motor over a turbocharged unit any day of the week.

I agree. unless there is a subtle whine involved

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Re: (02Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by 02Jetta »
I would call it a deal breaker. I do sometimes get annoyed at my past turbo cars cuz if you have passengers that dont understand the turbo concept of staying in your car for min or two to let it cool off, then yeah its annoying that part.

unless you car is from 1990 or older, this is unneccesary. And if you were that worried, install a timer

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
13,227 Posts

I've never owned a turbocharged car, but I'm always willing to try. The problem comes in when I do drive something with a turbo... I never like them. 2.0t, 1.8t, WRX, MS6, 335, whatever. They all have poor power delivery characteristics. The smaller 4 cylinders are annoyingly laggy and coarse and the bigger engines, while impressively muscular, are just plain dull to drive. Not saying they aren't full of power and sometimes more efficient, but they just aren't fun to run through the rev range. Give me a high-revving N/A car any day.
The one turbo car that I can remember liking is the Mazdaspeed Miata. That thing drove how a turbo (fun) car should. Peaky, snorty, and fit the personality of the car perfectly.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Re: (02Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by 02Jetta »

Haven't modern turbos advanced enough that they don't need to be cooled off? I know what you are talking about as my friend modified his 240sx to have the turbo timer turn off his engine a minute later. And the newer TT doesn't turn off for about 15 seconds.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: (91gti20v)

Quote, originally posted by 91gti20v »
Ideally... I would prefer NA with a high power to weight ratio. However, my last two daily drivers have been turbocharged.
Give me an inline six with ~250 NA hp in a sub 3000 lb car and I would be ecstatic.

a lotus evora is basically a near match
250 (plus) NA Hp
about 3000 lbs
not a Inline-6, but a V6

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
FV-QR

I wouldn't necessarily say avoid... but... I've owned two, but right now there aren't any turbocharged vehicles that are on my radar.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.