VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Do you?

• Of course!

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • Never

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • What the hell is wrong with you to even ask?

Votes: 34 42.0%
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they’re supposed to “meter” traffic but all I see is something that slows me down when I’m supposed to be getting up to merging speed.

And yeah, I know you can get a ticket for running these things. But I don’t care.

·
Registered
44,645 Posts
What the...? I've never even seen anything like this.

What is it supposed to help with?

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,695 Posts

They aren't a thing here either but I have been through them before in other places

I think the main purpose is to keep the backup on the ramp and not on the highway. If too many car merge at once it backs the highway up. The red light turns green for ~5 seconds every 15 seconds or so to allow 1-2 cars through at a time. Sometimes they are two lanes and the lanes alternate.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,505 Posts
Yeah. It’s a stop light. I stop. They don’t run in my area when there is no traffic. If it was 2am maybe I’d be inclined to agree, but at 7am it’s a sea of cars anyway so there’s nothing to be gained.

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,158 Posts
I know this is mostly a west coast thing, but I think I saw one once in Richmond.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
yes, I stop, its a stop light not a yield light which would be yellow correct. I also believe its an easy ticket if you California roll through one.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Looks like a good excuse to test out 0-60 acceleration at WOT in order to execute a safe merge. In reality, the traffic is probably moving at 10mph when these things are in operation...

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,870 Posts
I've only ever experienced them as a way to force people to zipper merge onto an already packed and slow moving freeway.

·
Registered
BRZ
8,900 Posts

People who don't know how to merge.

They are extremely common in the SF Bay Area, often up to 3 or 4 lanes wide. When I get on the highway after work, there are three different onramps that each have two lanes of metering lights that flow into one onramp to the highway. Californians need a lot of help on the road.

And if there is anyone else around, yes, I stop. I would like if other people stop when I'm around too. Traffic is not nearly back up to "normal", but there's certainly plenty of traffic now, enough where we should all be stopping for each other's sake.

Now, when I was commuting during the pandemic, and there were never any other cars on the sweet 270 degree onramp by my house with a metering light at the top of it...alright, in that case I would rather slide onto the highway with a quarter turn of countersteer than stop at a light when no one's around.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I drive a hybrid. Slamming on my brakes for no reason and hten using all 60hp to get back up to speed again is a giant waste of gas. If nobody is around I blow right through those things. If someone else is around and slowing down I blow right through them. If someone is stopped in the other lane, I slow down so they don't go the same time I do and we hit each other. I think they're dumb.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The whole idea of them is to create space between cars entering the expressway. That's why I see no reason to come to a stop at those lights if there's no cars ahead of me on the entrance ramp.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Before our infamous Central Expressway was widened and vastly improved, metered red light access ramps were common in Dallas. Nobody gave a good goddamn and would run them as a matter of course, and that was the first thing they took out...

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
I absolutely stop. They really help space out the amount of cars entering the highway.

Reactions: oidoglr

·
Premium Member
12,628 Posts
They only operate during high traffic hours. The ones here which bother me are when they have a light for the HOV lane of the on-ramp. The majority of them allow HOV vehicles to merge without using the stop light, but a few do require it. If you're not familiar with it, it can catch you by surprise.

Here's how most are like:

And the odd ones:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The whole idea of them is to create space between cars entering the expressway. That's why I see no reason to come to a stop at those lights if there's no cars ahead of me on the entrance ramp.
I'm not sure about where you're from, but in MN, they're conditionally metered based on how heavy the freeway traffic is in the vicinity. They're not metered on off peak times at all.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Here in NYC they are usually in effect during rush hour, and there are metered variations depending on the congestion. And yes, it is an obligatory traffic signal which everyone must obey

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
These recently started popping up here in South Florida, some are working/on, some are in construction/expansion areas and not yet operational. So far, in my experience, it's about 50/50 whether a driver actually follows the instruction of light. I'm sure there are traffic studies that justify their implementation, but in my personal experience I don't think they do a damn thing.

·
Registered
BRZ
8,900 Posts
They only operate during high traffic hours. The ones here which bother me are when they have a light for the HOV lane of the on-ramp. The majority of them allow HOV vehicles to merge without using the stop light, but a few do require it. If you're not familiar with it, it can catch you by surprise.

Here's how most are like:

And the odd ones:

Very interesting; looks like SoCal and NorCal are perhaps reversed on this particular characteristic. Because I don't recall ever seeing an offramp like your first photo, where the HOV lane doesn't have to stop at all. I've seen it where the HOV lane gets priority at the lights, though (shorter red interval/more frequent greens).

And in contrast, the bottom one looks like the majority of HOV-equipped cloverleafs around here: two lanes, two lights, and an immediate merge into one lane after the lights. (here's an example)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts