VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Do you?

• Of course!

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • Never

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • What the hell is wrong with you to even ask?

Votes: 34 42.0%
21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm not sure about where you're from, but in MN, they're conditionally metered based on how heavy the freeway traffic is in the vicinity. They're not metered on off peak times at all.
Around my parts traffic flow doesn't matter. They're still doing the same thing even at 2AM. So do you really want to come to a full stop on a entrance ramp @ 2AM, when there's not 1 car around?

Reactions: ADDvanced

·
Registered
39,212 Posts
I drive a hybrid. Slamming on my brakes for no reason and hten using all 60hp to get back up to speed again is a giant waste of gas. If nobody is around I blow right through those things. If someone else is around and slowing down I blow right through them. If someone is stopped in the other lane, I slow down so they don't go the same time I do and we hit each other. I think they're dumb.
I also don't like stopping, since I need all the momentum I can get with my van to reach a reasonable merging speed.

But like your Insight, driving the van was a choice. I shouldn't expect to behave differently because of the vehicle I chose to drive.

Also see: Motorcycles stuck in traffic on hot days. Nobody cares that you have a jacket and jeans on in traffic, it was your choice. Sit in traffic like the rest of us, you're not that special.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,711 Posts
It's a stop light and it only last 2-3 seconds, why wouldn't I stop? Seems dumb not to, particularly since you're legally obligated to do so. I'm more irritated by having to stop at a stop light in a deserted town in the middle of the night. And yet, I still stay for the length of the light.

There's one of these ramp meters by me in the Philly burbs. It doesn't irritate me in the least. And like others have stated, it's only on during high traffic times, so it's not like I'm going to make up any time by blowing through it.

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon, HellKidHauler
10,855 Posts
I know they’re supposed to “meter” traffic but all I see is something that slows me down when I’m supposed to be getting up to merging speed.

And yeah, I know you can get a ticket for running these things. But I don’t care.

View attachment 63277
some reason, i loved these things for the morning commute in CA. Sometimes, you'd get a nice drag race. :p

These recently started popping up here in South Florida, some are working/on, some are in construction/expansion areas and not yet operational. So far, in my experience, it's about 50/50 whether a driver actually follows the instruction of light. I'm sure there are traffic studies that justify their implementation, but in my personal experience I don't think they do a damn thing.
no one knows how to drive down here. guessing on I95?

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
590 Posts
these are real??? lmao, sorry. I live in Florida. I have NEVER seen one of these before. Maybe before the on ramp/acceleration lane. I also travelled all the way up and down the east coast on a road trip. Never seen one. So, I would probably stop.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,648 Posts
We don't have those here, but we do have people that will come to a dead stop at the end of an onramp unexpectedly.

·
Registered
21,676 Posts
Very interesting; looks like SoCal and NorCal are perhaps reversed on this particular characteristic. Because I don't recall ever seeing an offramp like your first photo, where the HOV lane doesn't have to stop at all. I've seen it where the HOV lane gets priority at the lights, though (shorter red interval/more frequent greens).

And in contrast, the bottom one looks like the majority of HOV-equipped cloverleafs around here: two lanes, two lights, and an immediate merge into one lane after the lights. (here's an example)
Yep, most of the SoCal ones have non-stop HOV. Older freeways (101, etc.) have both lanes stop, in alternate order. And quote often there's a CHP cruiser sitting on the shoulder above the on-ramp watching for people running the HOV lane or the red lights so I always stop.

Reactions: vwpiloto

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
no one knows how to drive down here. guessing on I95?
Truth, too many foreigners and transient residents from other states creates this hellacious melting pot of driving experience. But yes, I-95. They first started popping up in Miami-Dade at the so I've had limited interactions with them since I rarely get off/on at any exits other than those into downtown Miami which are usually feeder belts.

these are real??? lmao, sorry. I live in Florida. I have NEVER seen one of these before. Maybe before the on ramp/acceleration lane. I also travelled all the way up and down the east coast on a road trip. Never seen one. So, I would probably stop.
Well, guess what buddy, THEY'RE COMING! The south bound on ramp I most frequently take from my house onto 95 (Cypress Creek in Broward) just had one installed as part of the expansion, it isn't operational yet but I can already see it being a problem. Even without the stop, most people struggle to merge because the on ramp is such a sharp turn they're moving far too slowly when they get to the merge. Then the merge lane is shorter than it should be and runs into the next on ramp only a few hundred feet further down the road.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Around my parts traffic flow doesn't matter. They're still doing the same thing even at 2AM. So do you really want to come to a full stop on a entrance ramp @ 2AM, when there's not 1 car around?
That seems just as silly as stoplights that are on a timer schedule day or night and don't change any sooner based on the walk button being pushed or sensing the weight of a vehicle on the pad waiting for a red light.

On the other hand, ours in MN are variable as well. The heavier the congestion, the longer those ramp meters will stay red between greens.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,776 Posts
A pretty interesting video on the subject was recently uploaded onto YT. Yes it gets a bit nerdy, but does a great job of explaining the theory/science/technology behind these traffic management systems.

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
They aren't all for metered ramps. Regulars on Route 2 in MA will remember the short runways from an onramp with a stop sign. Usually I welcome an opportunity to go WOT with the blessing of the law but... that's not how you fix a poorly designed onramp.

Edit: The metered ramps on the west coast almost always have long runways. Even slowpokes can use them.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I also don't like stopping, since I need all the momentum I can get with my van to reach a reasonable merging speed.

But like your Insight, driving the van was a choice. I shouldn't expect to behave differently because of the vehicle I chose to drive.

Also see: Motorcycles stuck in traffic on hot days. Nobody cares that you have a jacket and jeans on in traffic, it was your choice. Sit in traffic like the rest of us, you're not that special.
Kind of why I said it depends on conditions. But yeah F me using common sense and stuff :p

21 - 40 of 103 Posts