VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Do you?

• Of course!

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • Never

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • What the hell is wrong with you to even ask?

Votes: 34 42.0%
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
23,534 Posts

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,034 Posts
I thought these were designed for people to test their factory launch control settings...
I resemble this statement.

I always stop. If only to do a stupidly fast launch.....

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,267 Posts
I guess I'm a sheeple, but yes, I've always stopped for these. That said, I've witnessed many a freeway entrance red-light disregarding scofflaw who balks at convention.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Yes of course. Do you run stop signs or red lights?

These are considered as such and need to be obeyed as such. Not worth the ticket just so I can jump into the freeway 15 seconds faster, especially since they are on during peak periods and I would only be joining a heavily congested freeway in the LA area 15 seconds faster. Risk vs reward does not add up in my book.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
What's the penalty for running red in the jurisdiction? Here it carries possible insurance rate increases.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Those are the same penalty as going through any other red traffic signal. It's entirely possible for it to be equipped with a red-light camera, too.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Of course I stop, it gives me a reason to go flat out 🤪

·
Registered
34,486 Posts
They work to a degree, but once the highway is fully saturated I don't see the point.

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,660 Posts
I've was taught that go is 'green' and red means 'stop'. If it really matters, in unobstructed traffic, it just means a drag race is on. I've only encountered these a couple times in Massachusetts but took it as a licensees to give it all it's got.

·
Registered
704 Posts
We don’t have metering signal for on-ramps here (Nuevo México), but I understand their purpose. The disadvantage that immediately comes to mind is large trucks and buses, which accelerate slowly from a full stop. 🤔

🍺

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,519 Posts
I know they’re supposed to “meter” traffic but all I see is something that slows me down when I’m supposed to be getting up to merging speed.
What? Your puny S2000 kan't take WOT once in a while? :D

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I stop, but I think those things are stupid. I rarely drove on North Central, so I hardly saw any down here. I think Pittsburgh was the worst, a downhill on-ramp to merge with an uphill highway and there's a stop light or sign.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
What's the penalty for running red in the jurisdiction? Here it carries possible insurance rate increases.
On the metered ramps with HOV lanes, I will see people who are driving alone move into the HOV lane to bypass the light. Especially when there's a line waiting at the light.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I know they’re supposed to “meter” traffic but all I see is something that slows me down when I’m supposed to be getting up to merging speed.
We don’t have metering signal for on-ramps here (Nuevo México), but I understand their purpose. The disadvantage that immediately comes to mind is large trucks and buses, which accelerate slowly from a full stop.
Those metering lamps are only meant to be used when the traffic volume is approaching capacity anyhow, and around here, that means when those metering lamps are in use, you'll only have to accelerate to maybe 50 or 60 km/h if you're lucky ... probably more like 30 with stop and go conditions.

The only ones I know of in Ontario are on the Queen Elizabeth Way west of Toronto and only in the Toronto-bound direction. In morning rush hour, that road resembles a parking lot.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Put it this way: if there is a police car sitting right beside that traffic light, will you stop?

41 - 60 of 103 Posts