VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Do you?

• Of course!

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • Never

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • What the hell is wrong with you to even ask?

Votes: 34 42.0%
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,449 Posts
Only seen these when I lived in Sonoma and traveled to SF airport frequently. It was odd, but made sense to me.

I can confidently say that while Pittsburgh area interchanges would benefit from a similar system, Pittsburgh area drivers would absolutely lose their got damn minds. It would likely result in more chaos and collisions.

·
Registered
18,016 Posts
I’m starting to see people view stop lights as optional, where I live. If the light is red, and there’s no cross traffic, people will sometimes go through the intersection after a brief pause. These people suck. I stop at lights, even these highway meters, because I don’t want to suck.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,441 Posts
Yeah. It’s a stop light. I stop. They don’t run in my area when there is no traffic. If it was 2am maybe I’d be inclined to agree, but at 7am it’s a sea of cars anyway so there’s nothing to be gained.
This. We don't use them in NY (or even the whole Northeast AFAIK) but anywhere I've seen them they've been off whenever they weren't necessary. If OPs DOT is leaving them on seems like someone could make a stink and have usage throttled back.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I’m starting to see people view stop lights as optional, where I live. If the light is red, and there’s no cross traffic, people will sometimes go through the intersection after a brief pause. These people suck. I stop at lights, even these highway meters, because I don’t want to suck.
Same here, I was scared straight by a cop that let me off with a warning when I was 16, for coming up just short of a full stop at a 4-way with no other traffic.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,725 Posts
I have experienced these in the Seattle area, and they never last more than a few seconds, maybe 15-20 at the most. American interstates are also enormous, so I wouldn't even be worried to get to merging speed on a moped after it turns green.

I'm curious, do you also burn other red lights? Third poll option is the only option really.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just don't use your car as an excuse. I'm pretty sure Hybrids aren't the only ones that waste gas/energy doing a stop/go like that.

I you're going to do it, just Stack up and just admit it. :)
Yeah, but I do that more in something like the insight, because I'm going for max MPG. If I'm driving a fast car, I might stop and launch it, lol. :D

·
Registered
17,971 Posts
I'm curious, do you also burn other red lights? Third poll option is the only option really.
normally, absolutely never. however, riding a motorcycle will make you rethink this unless you want to sit all night at a weight controlled light...our state actually added statute on this that if you wait more than a certain amount of time, you treat it like a single way stop.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Other times when waiting at a red light not required:

-when it’s a left turn on green arrow only and the oncoming lanes are empty for a mile with good sight lines, I’m turning left on red arrow when my direction has green. This might be an IL thing, we never played this game where I grew up in CT

Here’s a great example, I go left here to go to Cabela’s. You can clearly see the red left turn arrow, and the great sight lines with no oncoming traffic. I’m going left on this red 10x out of 10.

-(locally relevant) when a train is coming parallel to the road I’m on, and they give cross traffic the green light even though the train gates are down and no cross traffic can go, I’m going on red after stopping and looking.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,691 Posts
The only time I'll really run red on purpose if it's light traffic, I'm in a left turn signal with a red light, but the through lanes in my direction are green, and nobody is coming (obviously).

Edit - I see Chris already mentioned this in the post above

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
480 Posts
Truth, too many foreigners and transient residents from other states creates this hellacious melting pot of driving experience. But yes, I-95. They first started popping up in Miami-Dade at the so I've had limited interactions with them since I rarely get off/on at any exits other than those into downtown Miami which are usually feeder belts.

Well, guess what buddy, THEY'RE COMING! The south bound on ramp I most frequently take from my house onto 95 (Cypress Creek in Broward) just had one installed as part of the expansion, it isn't operational yet but I can already see it being a problem. Even without the stop, most people struggle to merge because the on ramp is such a sharp turn they're moving far too slowly when they get to the merge. Then the merge lane is shorter than it should be and runs into the next on ramp only a few hundred feet further down the road.

No way........ I live in Broward too. These look awful. I love going flat out when getting onto the highway. I don't see the point of having these lights? People can't merge as it is/ people don't let others merge. Makes it more dangerous and kills fuel economy lol

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,129 Posts
Other times when waiting at a red light not required:

-when it’s a left turn on green arrow only and the oncoming lanes are empty for a mile with good sight lines, I’m turning left on red arrow when my direction has green. This might be an IL thing, we never played this game where I grew up in CT

Here’s a great example, I go left here to go to Cabela’s. You can clearly see the red left turn arrow, and the great sight lines with no oncoming traffic. I’m going left on this red 10x out of 10.

View attachment 63398
-(locally relevant) when a train is coming parallel to the road I’m on, and they give cross traffic the green light even though the train gates are down and no cross traffic can go, I’m going on red after stopping and looking.
This one is only designed like this because it is a double left turn lane. If this were a single lane, it would be a yield condition.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,725 Posts
normally, absolutely never. however, riding a motorcycle will make you rethink this unless you want to sit all night at a weight controlled light...our state actually added statute on this that if you wait more than a certain amount of time, you treat it like a single way stop.
I've had that happen to me a few times on the bike. It's annoying, especially when you got red light cameras pointed at you. I do my best to try to convince the car behind me to move up a bit, but most drivers are idiots and have no idea what I'm getting at.

·
Registered
44,621 Posts
Weight? They aren't weight controlled, at least none that I've ever seen. That would require moving parts/pressure sensors under asphalt. They're inductive sensors that can detect an electrical field.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,002 Posts
the touchless/ipass type systems have really ruined the fun at toll booths too...
LOL

Sometimes I specifically take the cash lines still...... 😂

·
Registered
17,971 Posts
LOL

Sometimes I specifically take the cash lines still...... 😂
Probably one of the better moments when I had an evo, got a cool toll both attendant, "damn dude, does that have launch control?" "yup!" [cue brap, brap, brap, spit fire, brap, tire chirp]

Could see the guy laughing/smiling the whole time in the rear view mirror.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,002 Posts
Next thread of this nature on TCL is going to be "do you guys have bank accounts or just rob them when you need money?"
"do you guys have partners or do you just rape people when you want to get it in"?

61 - 80 of 103 Posts