VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Do you?

• Of course!

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • Never

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • What the hell is wrong with you to even ask?

Votes: 34 42.0%
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,759 Posts
Other times when waiting at a red light not required:

-when it’s a left turn on green arrow only and the oncoming lanes are empty for a mile with good sight lines, I’m turning left on red arrow when my direction has green. This might be an IL thing, we never played this game where I grew up in CT

Here’s a great example, I go left here to go to Cabela’s. You can clearly see the red left turn arrow, and the great sight lines with no oncoming traffic. I’m going left on this red 10x out of 10.

View attachment 63398
-(locally relevant) when a train is coming parallel to the road I’m on, and they give cross traffic the green light even though the train gates are down and no cross traffic can go, I’m going on red after stopping and looking.
Surprised there aren't more traffic cameras out there.

·
Registered
39,212 Posts
normally, absolutely never. however, riding a motorcycle will make you rethink this unless you want to sit all night at a weight controlled light...our state actually added statute on this that if you wait more than a certain amount of time, you treat it like a single way stop.
Virginia did the same thing several years ago. Really saves me at the few lights I know I will never trigger.

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,189 Posts
Virginia did the same thing several years ago. Really saves me at the few lights I know I will never trigger.
Tennessee is now using radar vehicle detection in all new signal installations. No more issues for bikers. We try to upgrade the older systems with embedded electromagnetic sensors to radar when we re-pave. It isn't always possible though.

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
With the pandemic, the ones that I hit have been really odd lately. 30 seconds of all greens for both lanes and then all of a sudden they kick back on to metering. It's actually pretty dangerous if you aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Looks like a good excuse to test out 0-60 acceleration at WOT in order to execute a safe merge. In reality, the traffic is probably moving at 10mph when these things are in operation...
In Melbourne, Australia, I was amazed that both metering lights turned green at the exact same time. On every ramp I saw. Thanks for the invitation to drag race?

·
Registered
17,430 Posts
The only time I go through these on a red is if there is only one car in front of me and it's 2 cars per green and I'm rolling up on it as the 2nd car but missed the actual green since I'm a little late. Sometimes it goes green, first car goes, but it turns red again rather quickly. If he was starting from a full stop and I already have a 20mph roll coming up to him and was just a little late, although I do go through the red (technically) and catch up to him long before actually merging, it still was in compliance with the "2 cars per green" signage...I really was the 2nd car on that green.

Also if I am the first car rolling up on one of these in an empty lane, I will pace myself so that I trip the sensor and dont' have to make a full stop by the time I get to the stop line and the light turns green. Pretty much on my commute I get to learn the behavior of the signals on my route, how quickly they get triggered, etc.

I'm also amused by ramps that are 2 or more lanes being metered and everyone is piled up in one lane for no good reason. Am always happy to go around them and queue up in the next lane over.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,088 Posts
We have these on the on ramps to 66 inside the beltway. As others have said, it's to meter traffic during rush hour.

If you run them (unless under extenuating circumstances) you're a moron.

·
Registered
485 Posts
An entrance ramp that I use every day has one that turns on at around 3pm. It has a "1 car per green" sign and is set up so that it is red until a car pull up to the light, there is a sensor in the ground that will allow the light to change to green the instant your car goes over the sensor. The problem is people will come to a stop before the sensor so the light will never turn green. This quickly leads to a line of cars and a lot of honking and screaming.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,143 Posts
I dont get it. There is even a sign telling you where to stop. Shouldnt be this difficult

Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Of course. Now yield signs on on-ramps... JFC. You're damned if you stop and damned if you don't.

·
Registered
26,212 Posts
So your question is really... Do you stop at stoplights?

Well duh, yes. Doesnt matter if its a hinderance to getting up to highway speed. Its a traffic signal. Obey the danm thing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
So wat i gathered from this post is that places with high communism have this. Noted.

washington dc
san francisco
New york city
Canada
What i assume is minneapolis mn

Its funny these places that are qorried about fuel emissions arw forcing people to slow down and speedup. Thereby making emissions worse.

so basically the DOT is wasting your tax money in order to justify their existence

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Same here, I was scared straight by a cop that let me off with a warning when I was 16, for coming up just short of a full stop at a 4-way with no other traffic.
scared straight? This is embarassing from what i assume is a grown man.

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,483 Posts
there are some in PA too. I drove past them yesterday. one seemed to be broken with just a redlight with normal flowing traffic on the highway. there was atleast 50 cars stopped and waiting. there was also a cop there with their lights on about 15ft back on the shoulder so I think they were scared to pull away. very confused. but it was nice for me as thats a usually high congestion area

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,759 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Its funny these places that are qorried about fuel emissions arw forcing people to slow down and speedup. Thereby making emissions worse.

so basically the DOT is wasting your tax money in order to justify their existence
What I gather from this post full of rampant misspellings, assumptions, and incorrect conclusions, is that tax dollars in your area were not well-spent on public education.

The theory of metering lights is that it smooths traffic flow on the highway by spacing apart merging traffic. Without a metering light, you'd often end up with a knot of 10 or 20 cars all trying to merge at the same time (typically from a surface street traffic light which had just turned green), which inevitably leads to massive slowdowns/stoppages on the major controlled-access roadway. These slowdowns and stoppages would impact the entire freeway, not just the localized merge area, bringing thousands of vehicles to a halt. "Making emissions worse", as you put it.

Traffic studies have shown that very small local disruptions in traffic can have massive knock-on effects across the entire roadway, for hours. This is the problem they're attempting to mitigate.

Now, you're welcome to point out that they're being misused in many places (I'm sure they are), or they don't have the intended positive effects because of some new traffic study, or some local agency is using the 'wrong' hours to turn them on and off.

That said, I find it unlikely that a Random Internet Commenter who was unable to even grasp the first order intention of the metering light, and instead jumped to the immediate conclusion that they were smarter than the entire field of civil traffic engineering, will be able to provide a coherent response. So I won't hold my breath.

PS: It's probably not a coincidence that evil communist cities have more traffic, more infrastructure, and thus more use for metering lights.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts