VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Re: Do you think Amerika needs this car? (deBORA)

Not sure what Amerika needs but that car is far too handsome, practical, and feature-rich to be successful in the US. And after VW slaps on the federal bumpers, DOT lamps, etc., that make all nice euro cars really ugly and expensive, it doesn't stand a chance. And of course nobody here wants a car with a clutch, right?

· Registered
17,934 Posts
Re: Do you think Amerika needs this car? (JetQ)

Need? No. Want? It'd be nice to have the choice.
I wouldn't worry about DOT lamps, bumpers, etc. VWs in the past 5 years or so bear a much closer resemblence to their Euro counterparts that it makes little or no difference in the appearance.
What usually now destroys a Euro VW being sold in the US is the engine/transmission choices and equipment options. VWoA usually offers fewer engine/transmission choices (and usually doesn't include TDI engines and if they do, they aren't the best of the TDIs) and trim/equipment choices.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Re: Do you think Amerika needs this car? (JetQ)

>> And of course nobody here wants a car with a clutch, right?
Actually, there are lots of us drivers out there who prefer a manual transmission. My next vehicle must have (1) TDI, and (2) a manual transmission.

· Registered
2,261 Posts
Re: Do you think Amerika needs this car? (deBORA)

1st. thats a very nice looking automobile.
2nd. what is its size? looks smaller than the previous generation Toyota Sienna. appears to be about the size of a Chrysler PT Cruiser.....
3rd. what is the estimated list price?

· Registered
17,934 Posts
Re: Do you think Amerika needs this car? (FreeStage3)

Quote, originally posted by FreeStage3 »
2nd. what is its size? looks smaller than the previous generation Toyota Sienna. appears to be about the size of a Chrysler PT Cruiser.....

You're looking at a Touran and it's built on the next Golf (A5) platform, so it's more or less a very tall Golf. Not coming here that I know of but I believe I read that VW made it so it could be easily US certified.

· Registered
1,126 Posts

That's a Sharan I suspect.
It's a small people mover built on the Golf platform so your guess about being the size of a PT Crusier is about right.
Since I suspect that this market segment doesn't exist in the US (unlike everywhere else in the developed world) you've got a snowballs chance in Hell of seeing it - especially in TDi spec. Until you can get this market segment started in the States by one of the big guns then no chance
Market price would have to be on the premium side of the PT at least - I'm guessing (and I mean guessing) high teens to low 20's US. It occupies a premium niche in other markets too.

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Sure - I'll take anything VW, station wagon like, in 4Motion and TDi. Except the $100K upcoming V10 TDI Touareg. It has to be under $45K Cdn. Do I think I will ever see anything from VW to fit this bill? nein

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote, originally posted by FreeStage3 »

The car has the same platform as the new Golf V. But the car is much bigger. In Germany we can order the car with 7 seats. It's like a little Bus for a familiy. The PT Cruiser is smaller.
Here are same figures in german language:
Technische Beschreibung
Länge 4.391 mm
Breite 1.794 mm
Höhe 1.652 mm
Radstand 2.677 mm
Spurweite vorn/hinten 1.539/1.521 mm
Wendekreis ca. 11,2 m
Einstieg vorn, 4-türig, Breite/Höhe 837/1.430 mm
Einstieg hinten, Breite/Höhe 887/1.460 mm
Effektiver Kopfraum vorn/hinten 1.020/989 mm
Sitzraum vorn 866 mm
Innenraumlänge 1676 mm
Ellbogenbreite vorn/hinten 1.458/1.484 mm
Länge, Sitzbank aufgestellt/umgeklappt 1.145/1.744 mm
Größte Breite (Gepäckraum) 1.050 mm
Breite zwischen den Radkästen 1.050 mm
Höhe (Gepäckraum) 607 mm
Ladehöhe bis Himmel 1.096 mm
Gepäckraumvolumen 695/1.989 l (Messung nach ISO 3832)
Kraftstoffbehältervolumen ca. 60 l
The price of the car lays in Germany 2.000 Euro above the price of a normal Golf.

· Registered
567 Posts
Quote »
That's a Sharan I suspect.

Nope, it's the Touran since deBora has confirmed that it's based off the next MkV Golf chassis. This vehicle has a Mitsu/Dodge Colt-ish premise to it, so I think it could be pretty successful for folks who really don't like the stigma of a minivan or SUV. If I didn't already have a Golf TDI I'd think about it if 1)it was available and 2)it came with a TDI engine.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Ah yeah the other one. Actually the bigger one. Names are just too similar and the looks are too!!!!
My comments still hold true though I reckon.
Regardless it's not my cup of tea. Too staid, needs a combination of passion, oddity and stupidity for me too be interested.

· Registered
84 Posts
Re: Do you think Amerika needs this car? (l5gcw0b)

Touran has 4 engine options: 1.6 FSI, 2.0 FSI 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI. All fitted with 6-speed manual gearboxes.
I've driven only the 1.6 FSI version, and I think it's far too powerless to be fitted into a car that size. I'll be waitin' for the TDI...

Modified by RatBug at 1:00 PM 7-18-2003

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Do you think Amerika needs this car? (RatBug)

Quote, originally posted by RatBug »
And I almost forgot the price...
Touran Firstline 1.6 FSI 28760 €
Touran Highline 2.0 TDI 38420 €
(In Finland)

Oh my dear!
In Germany I can buy a Touran for less than 18.000 Euro.
The 1.6 FSI is a very little engine for the Touran. But in Germany we drive that car with the 2.0 TDI with 140 hp.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.