VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
4,173 Posts
Re: Do you turn on the traction control? (94_Red_Jetta)

My traction control (ASR) is turned off via Vag Com. I almost got hit by another car trying to leave a parking lot. My car bogged down when I needed the speed to merge onto traffic.

· Registered
22 XC40 EV, 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
3,403 Posts

This seems an odd question, since you would always have to turn it OFF rather than turn it ON, since it is always on by default.
Anyway, I usually turn mine OFF.
-Imp

· Banned
692 Posts
Re: Do you turn on the traction control? (improvius)

Quote, originally posted by improvius »
This seems an odd question, since you would always have to turn it OFF rather than turn it ON, since it is always on by default.
Anyway, I usually turn mine OFF.
-Imp

damn...that hapens to me too...and its serious. that thing brakes when i am pulling out in front of a car in an intersection. wow!!
and yes, i usually turn it off if i think about it

Modified by rampage at 4:18 PM 7-15-2003

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Do you turn on the traction control? (jaguarS4R)

Quote »
The only reason I have it on, is b/c the yellow light gets annoying. But yu are right, I myself also almost got hit b/c my car started braking!!

Quote »
My traction control (ASR) is turned off via Vag Com. I almost got hit by another car trying to leave a parking lot. My car bogged down when I needed the speed to merge onto traffic.

Why? I don't understand. Why would the car started braking if turn it
on? So is the traction control a bad thing? Please explain it to me,
because this is very new to me. (I just did a test drive, and I turned it
on, I have not tried to turn it off, so does it give you better driving
experience when it is off?)
Thanks.

· Banned
333 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 94_Red_Jetta »

Why? I don't understand. Why would the car started braking if turn it
on? So is the traction control a bad thing? Please explain it to me,
because this is very new to me. (I just did a test drive, and I turned it
on, I have not tried to turn it off, so does it give you better driving
experience when it is off?)
Thanks.

When yu press yor ASR/ESP button and the yellow light comes on, on yor dash, that means yu turned it off. When its off, brakes will NOT be applied if theres wheel spin, but instead yu'll just be able to drive freely and be able to peel out more. When it is on (yellow light not lit) and yor wheel slips, brakes will be applied automatically. It sucks though b/c If yur pulling out of a street fast and theres a car comming, yull usually do a little peel out and the light will start blinking and yor car will start to brake.

· Registered
665 Posts
are you sure the brakes are applied... on the ESP (which helps prevent fish tailing, etc) the brakes are slightly applied... I dont' think the ASR uses the brakes. IT feels like it cuts the gas beening injected into the engine. I turn mine off only because I hate how the car jerks foward when it is activated. I woudl rather control wheel slip myself than have the car do it.
-but back to point, I am pretty sure ASR cuts fuel to the engine to prevent wheel slip.

· Registered
665 Posts
actually, when I think about it... I think it might be some sort of clutch mechanism.
I live in CO, where there is snow. I use the ASR in the snow and those really snowy drives where it is constantly being used... when I get home my car smells a little, like a burnt up clutch smell. With the way it works still apply power, but limiting how much, I wouldn't be surprised that it is a clutch-like devise...
... does anyone know? can't find anything on the VW website and don't feel like looking it up in my manual.

· Registered
5,093 Posts
yea it does mess up with the torque, especially if the road is slippery (rocks, sand, snow).
one of the reasons I knocked my car off the road last winter, mostly my reason though since I came in to the turn too fast. the back of the car started sliding but I thought I could just let it slide and straighten it when the turn straightens. Im quite sure it would've been fine, I've had the car slide before since the roads are always slippery as hell in the winter. but then the ASR/ESP kicked in and took the torque off of some wheels (4 motion) so the car turned a bit more in to the inside of the turn, so I tried to straighten it back and at the same moment got the torque back on the wheels, so now I had all 4 wheels working and the wheel turned to the outside of turn, so I slipped off the road..
but its quite helpful in the winter, I usually keep it off but I now take it off if I'm playing around (not sliding on a forest road, though)

· Registered
2,800 Posts

ASR is on by default everytime the car is started.. there is no indicator of it being on in the dash..
pressing the button turns off ASR and it lights up the yellow icon in the dash..
so my answer is, yes i turn ASR off.

· Registered
318 Posts
For some reason I thought it was off when the button was depressed. And I wondered why it lurched at times. But now I know that you have to push the button to turn it off. Maybe I should've read the manual.
Anyway it'll be off for now. Maybe until winter come around again.

· Registered
3,969 Posts
Re: (me love cars)

Quote, originally posted by me love cars »
actually, when I think about it... I think it might be some sort of clutch mechanism.
I live in CO, where there is snow. I use the ASR in the snow and those really snowy drives where it is constantly being used... when I get home my car smells a little, like a burnt up clutch smell. With the way it works still apply power, but limiting how much, I wouldn't be surprised that it is a clutch-like devise...
... does anyone know? can't find anything on the VW website and don't feel like looking it up in my manual.

ASR is linked with the drive-by-wire system. When there's too much wheel slippage, it cuts the throttle opening, thereby cutting the engine's power output. ASR also works in conjunction with electronic differential lock (EDL). EDL functions below 25ish mph, and will use the ABS sensors and brakes to cut wheelspin. If you've ever heard a crunching noise (the ABS system pulsing the brakes) when you peel out on gravel or something, that's EDL.
ASR (as has been said) can be turned off.
EDL can NOT be turned off without pulling fuses or modifying the ABS sensors. EDL does not slow you down like ASR will, so it's best to leave it alone.
The "clutch-type smell" you smell is probably your brakes, since they're being used often. If your ASR light is constantly flashing when you're driving, you need to slow down or get better snow tires.

· Registered
1,109 Posts

Most of the time I drive with mine on, cause the light is annoying. It actually worked pretty well for me in a rainstorm we had last Monday. It pulled me out of a hydroplane over a small lake I didn't see on the turnpike.
That being said, I turn it off once a day near my house at a light. It is a standing start on a hill and I turn left. When on, the car usual bogs because of wheel slippage due to the angle of the turn (and of course the severe power of my 1.8T

· Registered
8,266 Posts

The ASR is the only feature of my car I don't like... stupid crap is gonna get me killed. As soon as I run into someone with a vagcom its getting permanently turned off.
The way it works is very crude in my opinion... its very intrusive at bad times.

· Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,484 Posts

I think that the current ASR system is awesome, saved my azz many times in snow and rain, even on dry twisties, when the tires were not holding the road.
The only time I shut it off is when entering a high speed intersection from stop or slow speed or any race event where I cannot allow ABS module to kick in.

FYI, the current ASR uses ABS only, on front 2 wheels (non 4-mo models), where as on the older generation cars, ASR system retarded spark.

You also have EDL, which cannot be turned off and works under 20/25 mph only, once your above that ASR kicks in. On newer models, ESP added more control over the car and controls all 4 wheels, it incorporates ASR into it's setup and cannot be shut off complete, unless a VAG-COM is used.

· Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,143 Posts
Re: Do you turn on the traction control? (ElectroMike)

Quote, originally posted by ElectroMike »

You also have EDL, which cannot be turned off and works under 20/25 mph only, once your above that ASR kicks in. On newer models, ESP added more control over the car and controls all 4 wheels, it incorporates ASR into it's setup and cannot be shut off complete, unless a VAG-COM is used.

ASR works at all speeds not just above 25 mph.
ESP can be shut-off completely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.