VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I had to give the Envoy back to my dad as his company car lease ran out...anyways I'm in the market for a car again. (went from a 2000 jimmy, to a 2003 envoy, and now back to nothing...damn stock market
)
I have money, but I don't want to spend it all on a car as I'm going to college in another year...however I need something to get me around town with. So I find a local guy who is selling his 1986 Dodge Ramcharger. Super clean inside and out, Motor is a 318 automatic and runs like a champ. This truck has 76,800 original miles on it. 4X4 with Warner lock-out hubs. It also comes with a snowplow. No rust that I can see from the pictures, however I'm going to drive over there and take a look at it soon.
For all of you guys that don't know, the Ramcharger is a clone of the K5 Blazer, Bronco in that the "roof" comes off and it looks like a pickup truck.
Heres what it looks like, but isn't the exact picture...

Opinions on this badboy?
J

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Dodge Ramcharger!!! (174thfwff)

Wiat,
Does the back come off? I've seen some that do, but I don't know if all models do...some reassurance would be great.

·
Registered
23,277 Posts

It looks pretty good from what i can see, but if your looking for a college car, I suggest something that gets better gas mileage. if you can afford the gas, go for it, but college kids budgets tend to be tight

·
Registered
8,261 Posts

I'm not sure that it does actually. My old neighbor had one and it definitely did not.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: Dodge Ramcharger!!! (SidVicious)

Actually, on second thought maybe you should go for it. I remember moving around every year and I could have used a pickup back then. You're friends will love you too but you better get ready for people asking you to help them move their stuff. I guess you can load up your frat buddies and pelt geeks with eggs or make lewd gestures at women as you drive by. Low gas mileage is a big minus however.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Dodge Ramcharger!!! (VictoR6)

I won't use it in college as I'm going to a school in New York City, and I need a car there like I need a hole in my head.
So you're not sure if the top comes off or not?

·
Registered
23,277 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 174thfwff »
I won't use it in college as I'm going to a school in New York City, and I need a car there like I need a hole in my head.
So you're not sure if the top comes off or not?

ohhh hahaha, yeah you dont even want to think about a car there. What school are you going to?

·
Registered
565 Posts

The back didn't come off on those. That was the Ford's and Chevy's that did that.
Funny, Dodge HAD the Ram Charger back for a couple of years in the late 90's, perhaps up to the 2000 model and was a FLOP. Back in 1999, I saw one outside a Denny's across from Disneyland. At the time I didn't know it was still built. It was just a shortbed Ram with the back of the Caravan grafted on the back.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Re: Dodge Ramcharger!!! (WSTRLNG)

Actually, those were never sold in the states. They are a mexican model. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,749 Posts

I don't think RamChargers of that vintage have removable tops. Those kinda faded away by the late 80's on all of the makes (GM, Ford, Mopar).
My '73 Jimmy's (K5 Blazer) came off all the way to the windshield, but by '74 they only came off to the back of the cab as did most of the others. I think it was due to safety concerns/gov't standards/etc...(maybe the same rules that killed convertibles at that time ??)
Also, I'm not Mopar saavy about these, but is it a full-time 4x4 ? My '73 was. With no lockouts. It was a frickin tractor. With its 350 4bbl, it got about 7mpg on a good day.
On the plus side, trucks like that are virtually indestructable. They can bounce off things that would cause hundreds of dollars to repair on a new truck, with very little visible damage.

·
Registered
136 Posts

I had one in the 80's. Ramcharger 4x4 "Snow Commander"" edition. I loved it . The person who had it before me put a built 440 in it and it had an aftermarket 60 gallon gas tank. that thing had some power. It may have been my favorite truck it was huge. I miss "The Beast".............

·
Banned
7,814 Posts
Re: Dodge Ramcharger!!! (TheSpiessman)

I wouldn't get the dodge

in all honesty, everyone i've ever known who had one was disgusted with the way they heild up, my bud Jay has one almost identical to the one pictured above, and he's rebuilt the tranny, then replaced the tranny, and much like our Jeep with the 318 in it, every other small bit and piece .

If I were you, i'd look for a Blazer/Jimmy of the same vintage in the same condition, in the long run they'll treat you better, and the tops do come off of those..... look above, that top is ON there
i'd stay away from bronco's, seeing as the latest model is a 96, and every one I looked at before i bought my *new* truck was beat to hell, and falling apart...
i'd have to say find yourself a clean chevy/GMC full sized, i'm happy with my truck so far (MAKE SURE IT'S A 350!!!)

·
Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
40,848 Posts

If it does have the removable top check the seals. From what I've heard from owners the seals went to crap once the top was removed and they'd start to leak.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Re: Dodge Ramcharger!!! (Hostile)

My father-in-law has/had two of 'em. (Rams, not RamChargers - but they should have just about exactly the same reliability) One had the slant six and the one he has now has the 318. The six was a '79 and he got an '82 (I'm pretty sure it's an '82) when his father passed away. He never did any actual repair work to either of them just preventative stuff. The 318 really runs as good as my 98 Contour. Fires up on the first crank of the key and can break both tires easily. We've used it moving three times with the bed full and pulling an 18' trailer loaded up.
I was never really big into the Mopar stuff but his father worked for Chrysler and they obviously swear by them. He also has a '78 New Yorker (whatever the last year was for the BIG one) with the big 440. His dad swapped in a 3 2-barrel manifold and the three carbs and upped the compression to 9.5:1. From 30MPH up to... whenever you decide to get off the gas, that thing will fly. And it looks like a total grandpa car. Thing is, from 0-30MPH, you can't get on the gas much or else you won't really go anywhere. And it's not really 'fun' to drive at all as it's just way to heavy and boat-like.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: (174thfwff)

good sh*t cuz it has simple engines...how about a jeep regular cherokee if it comes in v6? or a toyota cresida wagon heh heh...its gonna be hard parking a ram charger at college...sometime u gotta squeeze into small space and gotta get to class asap...no compromise

·
Banned
26,760 Posts

Why does the Ram Charger in the first post have Ford wheel covers?
My opinion is to get something cheap like that and get back in the stock market if you completely bailed out- it's picking back up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif What about a Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts